electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Artists » Amy X Neuburg
"The Secret Language of Subways"
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: "The Secret Language of Subways"
Subject description: Amy's new CD
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

received by e-mail

Amy X Neuburg wrote:
I'm writing to let you know about my new CD, released in the fall on MinMax Music -- finally getting around to spreading the word to my national/international list, sort of barely in time for Xmas, but not Chanukah (sorry 'bout that).

It's called "The Secret Language of Subways" and is the studio version of my live-performance song cycle for voice, cello trio, and electronic looping, drumming and processing -- featuring the lovely and talented Cello ChiXtet: Jessica Ivry, Elaine Kreston, and Elizabeth Vandervennet.

This song cycle was three years in the making, inspired by my adventures living bi-coastally in New York and Oakland -- as well as by world events -- and conceived mostly while riding the subway. I call it "a song cycle about the inane and perpetually unfinished businesses of love and war and New York."

We've already had the pleasure of playing at some wonderful California venues: Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, Project Artaud Theater, The Great American Music Hall, the LA Philharmonic West Coast Left Coast Festival, and soon the San Francisco Symphony After-Hours series.

To hear sound samples, go to our CD Baby page -- http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/AmyXNeuburg1 .
You can also purchase the CD there, or choose one of the other vendors at the end of this email.

So many quotable press quotes that I had trouble narrowing them down.... so here are way too many. Enjoy, or just skip 'em:

"A wonderful composer-performer... Her songs channel the rhythms of urban life through the seriocomic sensibility of a born entertainer... Neuburg's new song cycle teeters beguilingly on the boundary between pop and avant-garde performance art, and to hear it complete and in sequence is to marvel at the grace and elegance with which Neuburg walks that tightropeĹ  The most striking song is the closer ("Shrapnel"), in which Neuburg layers her own singing voice into a rich chorale touching eloquently on loss and regret. It's a funny, devastating little miracle." -- JOSHUA KOSMAN, SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE

"Theatrical, outrageous, and contagious -- scoot over Bang on a Can." -- STRINGS MAGAZINE

"Her wonderfully inventive mind and obvious love of all sort of musical styles make her a delight to hear and see... TSLOS is Amy's best work yet. The 13-song cycle works well as a story arc -- a sort of unstaged musical -- but the individual songs are so finely crafted and tuneful that they can stand on their own quite well... Many of the numbers would be perfectly at home on a Broadway stage, while others sound like... a jam session with Iva Bittová." -- WILL YOU MISS ME WHEN I'M GONE

"It's Neuburg's application of electronics and multi-layered lyrics that captures the imagination and captivates the listener... an overflow of auditory input that parallels New York itself... but Neuburg manages to make each intricate and enigmatic moment approachable... Neuburg takes full advantage of the cello's myriad tonal qualities, expressive characteristics, ample pitch range and dramatic attributes... It's like Annie Sofie Von Otter collaborating with Steve Reich." -- AUDIOPHILE AUDITION

"Very much cabaret and also very much a new thing.... The songs have a narrative complexity that goes beyond superficial slogans into personal searching and (un)intentional confession, the music works its way through styles, not only from song to song but within songs... It's one for listening all the way through, and that is a truly moving experience... dazzling, exquisite and powerful."
-- THE BIG CITY

"Just when I start to pat myself on the back for expanding my musical horizons, along comes an album like TSLOS to set me straight. ... this album is definitely Art with a capital A.... The topper is Neuburg's arrangement of "Back in NYC" from the classic Genesis album... a triumph for Neuburg and the ChiXtet. -- THE MAN IN THE GREY FLANNEL SUIT

"In a nutshell: Amy X Neuburg's best record to date and the best Genesis cover version ever recorded!... It brought tears to my eyes." -- DELIRE MUSICAL

"Don't miss the spectacular Amy X Neuburg. She's the best thing to come out of Oakland since Jack London."
COMPOSER JOHN ADAMS, IN HIS BLOG

Here are some places where you can purchase and download "The Secret Language of Subways":

CD Baby:
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/AmyXNeuburg1
Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Language-Subways-Amy-Neuburg/dp/B002IZ1R7K/starkland
MinMax Music:
http://www.minmaxmusic.com
itunes:
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=331427426&s=143441

MinMax Music releases are distributed by Starkland: http://www.starkland.com

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Artists » Amy X Neuburg
Jump to: