electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
2010 Build Pictures
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 21 of 24 [576 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 Next
loydb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
Yes! Just noticed the MFOS text in the glass! That is superb! Very Happy The box is nice too! Great job!

Thanks! The marble may be my favorite part of it.

MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/post-308797.html#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-42968.html
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mush wrote:
I did some de-glitching. I skipped the ground-pin on the hotpots and put a 10K ohm resistor between signal and ground instead. Not a fancy solution, but working great.

Thanks for all the info. Great project!

Very Happy

Ian
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and thank you for the inspiration (i still have the appendage to build).
Sound

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@ Mush:
How are assambled the pressure resistors? from your site I understand that you used the " Standard 408 FSR"? Which are =~ 5mmX600mm and cut them? There is one pressure resistor for under each hotpot?
haxster

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just finished this Serge Panel Format Modular Synth. No actual Serge circuits, I just like the Panel Size. The design is almost wire free. The VCO and VCF are the only items left with flying wires for the jacks. Next revision will finally rid me of the dreaded wire stripper chore.

This will fit on a Bud AC-423 Case.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.[/img]
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by haxster on Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total
TekniK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow all pcb mount pots,seems very clean inside.

looks to be 5u size serge is 4u

haxter i still wait for something from you,any news?
haxster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry I have been busy designing this item. I just ordered another Midi converter pcb. But this is not like the acoupel version. I should get it next week. I still do have the item we talked about. From memory I believe the trimmers on the power supply need to be replaced. I have about 2 or 3 items i set aside that had something wrong with them (bad part or something). I just never got around to troubleshooting them. One thing I did not like about the acoupel converter was it did not have last key memory, meaning if you hold down 2 keys it will not return to the last key pressed. So it was not good for live playing but great for sequencer stuff.
haxster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah it is very clean.

The entire synth and power supply is on the panel. Yeah I was more into making sure it fit on those Bud Industy Boxes which is 7 inches High. But I remember I saw people mounting Serge panels on one. But perhaps it was not the actual format but just the look.

Check out this power supply:
TekniK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow thats very pro haxster Shocked

You should let manufacture pro fronts and sell systems Cool
alcofribas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@ mush

My head is flooded with questions. For now, just these three:

-- Since the FSRs are narrower than the hotpots, you had to put them on top, right? This is not ideal for precision, but then if it works...

-- You didn't need any special glue, just the provided adhesive backing?

-- How did you connect the FSRs electrically? The datasheet strongly discourages soldering. And you had to deal with strips you'd cut yourself.

This is mighty impressive. Technology on the march!
mush

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

alcofribas wrote:

-- Since the FSRs are narrower than the hotpots, you had to put them on top, right? This is not ideal for precision, but then if it works...
-- You didn't need any special glue, just the provided adhesive backing?
-- How did you connect the FSRs electrically? The datasheet strongly discourages soldering. And you had to deal with strips you'd cut yourself.

Nope, I put them underneath. Neither of them build much, so it the hotpots adhesive area reaches the bottom panel without any problem. So I just used the adhesive back on the hotpots and the FSRs:

I did solder the FSRs, it was no problem at all eventhough I haven't soldered anything for years. And I connected the FSRs like I did with the Hotpots. Show here below:

And yes I cut the FSRs down to size. You can actually use the left over parts like this guy did (first image):
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~adam/250b/

Sound wrote:

How are assambled the pressure resistors? from your site I understand that you used the " Standard 408 FSR"? Which are =~ 5mmX600mm and cut them? There is one pressure resistor for under each hotpot?

Yepp, there is one FSR under each hotpot sending an separate CC. The other questions I've hoped I've answered above.

I have actually a patch in which I zone the strips in 8 zones, each zone is sending a separate CC, but you can only send one at a time per strip. But it gives 96 CCs from the controller. I can also make note on/off from these zones giving me a 96 key controller with polyphonic aftertouch from pressure and velocity from initial pressure... Soooo many applications for it, and I've just touch the surface (pun intended)!
Sound

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@mush thanks very much for the reply. This pressure resistor is very interesting, and your project awesome.
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what a nice shot, man!
LektroiD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, so the SH isn't one of my contraptions Smile

In dire need of oscillators (can't find any that don't require obsolete chips)!

Just awaiting further wiring instructions before I finish the two Buchla 281's (the ones with the larger knobs)..

ModularSH.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  236.37 KB
 Viewed:  185 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

ModularSH.jpg

kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: My 2nd Klee Sequencer is up and running! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unlike my first Klee Sequencer build, this one took quite a few evenings to troubleshoot.

I'm not sure why -- I just had quite a few wires reversed (nothing that damaged anything -- just switches and such. The worst thing was that I reversed SW40 and SW41 (the random switch and the pattern select switch) -- and as I tested the switches there was quite a bit of WTF??!!! before I found the error!

Frankly, headers and I don't get along very well and I prefer point-to-point wiring. I spent a lot of time straightening out and replacing the fragile contacts. There may be an easy way to do it but I haven't figured it out yet.

The good news is that, as usual, the troubleshooting process forced me to go deeply into the schematics and really learn how it works. So, it's all good.

PB290003a.JPG
 Description:
The front panel.
 Filesize:  1.43 MB
 Viewed:  175 Time(s)

PB290003a.JPG

PB290005a.JPG
 Description:
Under the hood.
 Filesize:  1.36 MB
 Viewed:  160 Time(s)

PB290005a.JPG

emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My 2nd Klee Sequencer is up and running! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kkissinger wrote:
Unlike my first Klee Sequencer build, this one took quite a few evenings to troubleshoot.

Thing of beauty!

Must feel really really good to get that done and working!

Re headers: I'd think that working with that kind of header and ribbon cable might be more difficult than some other types...more easily confused at least...but I've never tried it myself.
kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: My 2nd Klee Sequencer is up and running! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

emdot_ambient wrote:
Thing of beauty!

Thank you!
emdot_ambient wrote:
Must feel really really good to get that done and working!

The feeling one gets from a finished module -- after all the sourcing, building, and troubleshooting -- is something shared by DIY people.

The Klee is a particularly satisfying build due to the complexity of the panel wiring and the density of components (108 Pots, LEDs, switches, and jacks).

In fact, sequencers in general are among the toughest projects, I believe.
emdot_ambient wrote:
Re headers: I'd think that working with that kind of header and ribbon cable might be more difficult than some other types...more easily confused at least...but I've never tried it myself.

Usually, I don't switch wires but maybe I stayed up a little too late when I built the cables. I plan to switch to color-coded ribbon cable after my current supply is exhausted. I like the narrow, braided wire, though -- very easy to solder and desolder.

The contacts are a bit fragile and I've found that they often need a little adjustment (with a narrow needlenose) to assure that they are straight and that the barb is at the correct angle.

If I were to build another Klee (I don't plan to, though) I would likely do point-to-point wiring with sufficient slack to allow the boards to be serviced.

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice indeed! I'd agree on the point-to-point, too. That's what I plan to do on the next one.
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My 2nd Klee Sequencer is up and running! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kkissinger wrote:
The Klee is a particularly satisfying build due to the complexity of the panel wiring and the density of components (108 Pots, LEDs, switches, and jacks).

pale I just counted. The first panel I'm building (basically 2 complete synth voices in a 5U X 19" wide panel) has something like 148 pots, LEDs, switches and jacks!

...almost ready to order the panel, too.

Me skeered!
The Bad Producer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice Klee!
tommi

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fonik's sequential switches (minimal version with no manual step and reset) on a stripboard!

SeqSw1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  962.41 KB
 Viewed:  147 Time(s)

SeqSw1.JPG

SeqSw2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  884.57 KB
 Viewed:  160 Time(s)

SeqSw2.JPG

droffset

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a 16 step sequencer that I completed a month or so ago. Enjoy!

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
AnalogCustom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: BSS Block II Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BSS II, Blue Sky Synth block 2, by AnalogCustom

UPPER PANEL

LFO:
wf: sqr, saw+, saw-, tri, sin, staircase - and +
range hi-lo
rate
delay time
reset
wf select
level
pre-router: to osc or to filter, off

OSC, Buchla type:
wf: sqr, tri, shape (saw-sin)
frec coarse and fine
control cv, fm and shape
level out
pre-router: to filter, off

FILTER, Sem type:

cv and audio input
lo-hi-bp-nf outputs

LOWER PANEL

NOISE (MFOS type):
graininess control
sw noise select
level out
white, roaring, digital, grainy, random gate, random trigger
pre-router: white noise to s&H in

S & H:

CV clock with sync
clock out
pre-router: s&h out to lag in

LAG:

rise, fall
lin and log mode

TRANSIENT:
attack-decay and attack-release mode
pos and neg sw select
level out
pre-router: to cv clock

miniMIX:

only 2 in and out.

Panel: natural "Al" and custom letraset (laser printer).
Power: 7815 and 1915 fixed regulators.

Marco.
cloudscapes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just finished my looper / sampler / granular glitcher / mangler / drone noise thing!

http://soniccrayon.blogspot.com/2010/12/crushed-glass-granular.html

[/quote]

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cloudscapes wrote:
just finished my looper / sampler / granular glitcher / mangler / drone noise thing!

That looks great! Got any recordings?

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 21 of 24 [576 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: