electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » News... » Concerts and Festivals
Electro-music jam in Allentown - October 30, 2004
Page 2 of 3 [52 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
egw wrote:
Mixing has never been as issue for me when playing with musicians who check their ego
Are you saying that there are guitar players who can really check their egos Question That's impossible Exclamation Twisted Evil it's like trying to teach a donkey to fly (Italian Proverb) Wink
How do you get an electric guitar player to turn down the volume on his amplifier? By putting music in front of him. Good thing for me that there is no music in improvisational music! Wink

Seriously, I have an ego. But it has been reprogrammed to inflate when the results are good. If I don't listen and react with sensitivity, then the results go to shite no matter how good my personal performance is. Perhaps that's what some call checking my ego at the door. But my ego gets fed when the group does well. I tend to hang out with people who have learned this lesson.

By the way; Thanks, Howard, for posting the audio clips. What is the source of the names?

Cheers,

--|_)| -----|-----()---------------------
-----------()----soundscapes.us/bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

djfoxyfox wrote:
Thanks, Howard, for posting the audio clips. What is the source of the names?

that's an outcome of Howard mixing on a Smart Console Shocked

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Electro-music jam in Allentown - October 30, 2004 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Here's is the first recordings.

nice stuff Exclamation There was some kind of previous arrangement before starting to play Question It makes the soundtrack of "the Forbidden Planet" sounds like merry-go-round music Very Happy

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great tracks. Is the mix representative of how the monitoring sounded. I mean, this is basically a 2 track stereo feed from the mixer output?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, it's a 2-track stereo recording direct from the mixer.
And no, there wasn't any prior arrangement or even any discussion.
Except once when Howard said let's have the "new guys" play together - zynthetix and gsga. So they did a duo that was cool and very different from what happened when all six were playing. I think I overheard them say "let's play something harsh" before they started, or something like that!
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The track titles indicate what track from which minidisc was used. It was the first time I used the minidisc machine, so most of the tracks are too short to be useable. I can prepare a few more if anyone is interested. On track U-1, I did add some post recording compression. I used very long attack and decay times. Just something to smooth out the volume a bit. I edited out a few clicks here and there. I need a de-clicker tool. Most of them seem to have come from a defective cable or a bad adapter. Not a serious problem.

Bill, were you able to download and play these overy your dialup link? Anyone have any comments about the 48 kbs mp3s?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The mp3 files sounds OK to me.. but then I played them on a pair of Mission 761s and a Luxman integrated stereo amp. I still have to wait at least a week for the Event monitors.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are of course some obvious issues with mp3 encoding at bitrates like this one. the most important one is probably the stereo image. We are obviously missing something .. not that we can hear something is missing.. but 48k mp3 encodings will always mess this up some. What do you think?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, there is still the appearance of stereo. All of the players were sending in stereo signals, and I'm sure some subtile imaging is missing. Once in a while you can hear some panning that didn't get too messed up. I was actually surprised how good this sounded. Not as good at the uncompressed or the 192 kbs versions, but still not all that horrible.

Remember this was a live performance heard over a PA. The room resonace nodes were very apparent when we were playing. Stereo imaging is not going to be great in any case.

A lot of subtile phase shifting is missing on a few parts. The uncompressed stuff sounds more beautiful when on the mp3 is just sounds pretty.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Bill, were you able to download and play these over your dialup link? Anyone have any comments about the 48 kbs mp3s?
Left clicking on the word "download" gives me the File Download box. If I choose SAVE, the file gets saved OK in a file I specify. If I choose OPEN, it starts to download into a temporary folder. After it downloads, Winamp pops up and plays the file flawlessly. But I cannot get it to stream. You'd have to have a link to an m3u type file.
Quote:
If you can host your own MP3s, making them stream is easy:

Create a text file (songname.txt)
In the text file, put the absolute URL of the MP3
(http://www.domain.com/audio/song.mp3)
Rename songname.txt to songname.m3u
Upload the MP3 file and the m3u file to your webhost
Give people the URL to the m3u file (http://www.domain.com/audio/song.m3u)

This will tell Winamp or other MP3 players to stream the file. If you have
dial-up users coming to your site I suggest the stream should be at a low
bitrate, for example 32 kbps.

Glenn
http://www.jarretribute.com
http://www.electronicshadows.com
The 48kbps file sounds quite good over my computer speakers. My slide guitar panning is quite evident. I'm sure nuances are missing; there's a lack of "air" and the top end sounds harsh. I'd need to A|B it against the wav file to tell exactly what the differences are. But for putting samples of music on a web site, 48kbps, imo, is more than sufficient quality for promotional purposes.

Cheers,

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

djfoxyfox wrote:
But I cannot get it to stream..
The previous post was based on using Internet Explorer. Using Mozilla, Quicktime opened on an otherwise blank electro-music page and streamed flawlessly. But I didn't have any other internet traffic (like email) happening at the time so nothing overflowed or burped. And I had to press Mozilla's BACK icon in order to get back to electro-music.

Cheers,

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good to know. Quicktime allows any mp3 file to stream. Reason enough to use it.

I've recently switched to the Mozilla products, FireFox and Thunderbird for web browsing and email. They are each better than what is in the Mozilla suite. When you install them they get the configs from Mozilla, so making the transision is very easy. FireFox seems to be considerably faster than IE or Mozilla, but it's hard to tell. It's much better architecturally.

jack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Electro music jam Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great time. Great MP3s. A must do again event.
Jack

paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great sounds...must have been fun....
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Love that second piece. Sure hope I can attend one of these in the future.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We'd love to have you.

I just listened to the last two tracks I could get off the HiMD. There is a very long one that doesn't sound all that great, but here is a very nice short one.

U-7.mp3
 Description:
Electro-Jam 1
U-7

Featuring H. Moscovitz, G. Waltzer, W. Fox, T. McDermis, J. Tamul, and D. Kresge
Recorded October 30, 2004
48 Kbs mp3 format
7:30
Copyright 2004 by electro-music.com

Download
 Filename:  U-7.mp3
 Filesize:  991.47 KB
 Downloaded:  2240 Time(s)

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice. Who brought that PPG Wave 2.2? Very Happy
nah.. it isn´t, but it sounds like one.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Very nice. Who brought that PPG Wave 2.2? Very Happy
nah.. it isn´t, but it sounds like one.

Hey, the G2 is very versitile. Cool

zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

these recordings are neat, and came out at pretty good quality. thanks for uploading them.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
djfoxyfox wrote:
Thanks, Howard, for posting the audio clips. What is the source of the names?

that's an outcome of Howard mixing on a Smart Console Shocked

Does this mean there is such a thing as a "not so Smart Console" out there?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Does this mean there is such a thing as a "not so Smart Console" out there?

everything but The Smart Console is a "not so Smart Console" Wink

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We have a guy at work who is like that too.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't like it when consoles start getting upity. Just as important as being smart is being sensitive. Even if the console knows it is smarter than me, I think it should be polite and not show off and rub it in. They are probably not all the smart anyway; not one console has joined the forum at electro-music.com. Twisted Evil
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
We have a guy at work who is like that too.

DILLIGAF Twisted Evil

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 2 of 3 [52 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Concerts and Festivals
Jump to: