electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Various Artists ~ 2014 Autumnal Equinox ~ live streaming radio ~
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » How-tos
Electronic Music Project
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
FeniXTranZ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Electronic Music Project Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well i have to do a power point project for computer apps class.and so i decided to do it on electronic music..THe prof would like to see how computers are used in the creation of this genre of music. ive found some stuff already but more info on it would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance. well this is what ive found........i dont need to make the music itself.....i just need to kno how its done by the professionals

"Electro-music is made with synthesizers, home-made circuits, computers, found objects, voices, signal processors, wooden flutes, ambient recordings, and virtually anything imaginable - even conventional orchestras. It can be slow and spacy, or fast and rhythmic. The primary motivation for its creation is artistic and spiritual expression, not show business."

This is all i can find and its from this site lol any help guys?
egw

G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Computers are used in many ways in the creation of electronic music (and other types of music as well).
They can be the actual instruments, using synthesis or sampling technology.
They can process the sound of other instruments, providing reverb and other effects.
They can do midi sequencing, providing compositional structure to control other instruments.
They can do audio recording, editing, mixing and mastering.
They can provide editing and librarian functions for external synthesizers.
They can be used to access the internet, where most electronic musicians find each other and promote their music.
They can make and/or copy CDs and MP3s for music distribution.
They can create graphics for CD artwork, posters, fliers etc.
Enough?
FeniXTranZ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey thanxs for your help. apreciate it. Do you by any chance have any websites w/ this kinda info on it...Cause you kno how school is/bibliographies/soucres of information n what not.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahh.. I posted an answer in that other duplicate thread. Look there too.. but.. this is actually the same info that Greg gave here.. I have link there though.

Links..? Check in the links section here? My own site which you will see in my profile has some links and lotsa electronic art stuff - with links..

And you might wanna try some vendor links... try http://www.steinberg.net and http://www.digidesign.com

And you might wanna message our member DLF for MAX info etc.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here is that post:

Well.. actually.. the web is full of this.. but you kinda have to know where too look.

We use applications like Logic, Cubase, Spark and others.. Stuff like this are really digital sound studios which are replacements for analog gear. In this respect the computer is "better studio" and all those virtual instruments like the Arturia Moog modular are ..well.. just instruments.

Then you have applications like MAX which are also programming enviroments.

A direction in music research.. cognitive reaserach actually.. is concerned with computer modelling of music and performances..etc.
http://www.nici.kun.nl/mmm/ should be quite informative.

The notion of electronic music is actually far older than the practical application of computers in music.

The whole field is huge and you might spend weeks or years researching this. What you should know is that you can approach this in many ways.

The application of computers in music psychology will send you off into certain directions. The use of computers as "studio gear" will send you off in an another. Computers can also be instruments.. and they can be compositional tools. If you first study some music history and music theory you might get a better framework for your research.

Fact is, most of the guys here will have several angles on the computer/music thingie at the same time. Which is just natural.

Very Happy

Hmm.. you might see the term "computer music" and this can term can at times be misleading and when applied "correctly" it might even mean different things.

Last edited by elektro80 on Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This reminds me that if you follow music technology history you will see that a huge lot of the computer applications are in fact implementations of analog audio/studio technology. These days the computer is a better tech platform. When I say better I mean more cost effective.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Greg made a nice list in his post.
We often call our music computers a DAW ( digital audio workstation ). DAW used to be a term for standalone dedicated computers made just for audio work.. but is these days also used for a mac or pc or whatever that does digital recording/editing and whatnot.
I once had an digital synth ( a PPG Wave ) and a matching DAW - a Waveterm B. You might wanna look up the Waveterm B in order to see what the early DAWs were like. Try a google?
This was really state of the art in the early - mid 80s. This DAW offered waveform editing, simple sampling, sequencing and lotsa weird stuff.
egw

G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you want to do some research, here's what I suggest.
First, you must decide what you want to focus on.
A subject like computers in music is so broad you will quickly be overloaded.
Come up with a phrase that describes what you're looking for.
Type that phrase into google.
Check the listings there and you will probably find something close to what you need.
Refine your search and repeat the process.

By the way, I'm one of those people (i.e. Luddites) who choose to minimize the use of computers in their music! But that's another discussion.
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos
Jump to: