electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Pad
NoisePad
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Eag

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: NoisePad
Subject description: From warm choral to rumbly noise...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nothing fancy or clever about this patch, but I've gotten some good mileage out of it, and some of the warm timbres I'm really quite fond of, so I thought I'd toss it up here for the good of the order.

It's basically an additive synth, using resonant filters fed by white noise to generate two partials, to get a more active texture than static sinewaves. There is a sine osc tuned down an octave to thicken and add low end, though it's not used in all the variations.

On an expanded G2, this simple architecture yields 32 voices, and I have a hunch that sacrificing some polyphony for a more-advanced architecture could yield pretty interesting results, but I haven't really gone there yet, not having done much patching in recent months (this one first happened last fall, and I started tweaking it a bit again over the past two weeks).

Not a whole lot else to say, except to give a rundown on the 8 variations.

1) Very warm. Falls somewhere between a Hammond and a choral patch. I'm pretty fond of this one, and it's been in heavy rotation as a live performance pad.

2) Much noisier patch, with the modwheel mapped to resonance (and to a little overdrive). Thus, you can smoothly morph from noisey spaceyness to a bright choir. Only var. with any morph assignments (probably this patch would be better with more of them).

3) When used as a bass drone, yields rumbly, splattery sounds. In the higher registers, yields sounds reminiscent of a steam train's whistle. It can be fun to apply pitch bend to this thing. Not really a pad, this var, nor probably very useful, but there it is.

4) A distant, muted choir. Not my favorite variation.

5) No reverb, and the overdrive is on, resulting in an grumbly but not-too-in-your-face sound.

6) Another soft one. A little more austere and distant than var. 1.

7) Mostly noise. Just enough resonance on the filters to have the pitches coming through, but barely.

8) A really warbly, distorted variation, drowned in reverb. Can be good for horror-type string section effects (e.g. hold a minor second and watch people cringe), and also makes for a fun bass drone. Be wary, however, of the annoying 'boom' at variation load, which appears to be a consequence of toggling the overdrive shape switch. I don't understand why that happens; instruction (or a fix!) from better patchers would be much appreciated.

I think that's about it. Comments, critiques, and new versions always appreciated.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I am aware of the OscNoise oscillator, which is pretty much the same thing as my noise generator->filter setup. The textures I got messing with those were distinctly different to my ears, though, which is why I wound up with this.

NoisePad.pch2
 Description:
Pad(ish) for your playing pleasure.

Download
 Filename:  NoisePad.pch2
 Filesize:  1.86 KB
 Downloaded:  2407 Time(s)

grimley

G2 patch files: 9

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lovely chilled sounds ... especially considering how simple the patch is. Nice work.
Eag

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks much.

This one owes much to dasz, not in terms of patching technique, but philosophy, as he's often said "focus on just a few modules at a time when you're learning the G2, and see what you can get out of those." I'm still very much a learner, and that advice has helped me a lot. When I had the idea for trying the noise->filter as an additive synth, I kept it really minimal, and liked the results I got.

I'm pretty happy with the simplicity of it - it sounds good to my ears, but still delivers high polyphony while loaded with other patches.

Glad you enjoyed it!

iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice patching, enjoyed having a noodle about with this. Smile
General Elektrick

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice one! thanks for sharing. I like the simplicity

"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all." --John Cage.
Eag

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, glad you guys enjoyed it. It's good to know I'm not the only one. Smile

Thanks for the comments!

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Pad
Jump to: