electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Nord Rack 2 restore factory settings/sounds! HELP
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
thespins05

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Nord Rack 2 restore factory settings/sounds! HELP
Subject description: How do i hook up my nord rack2 to transfer the original factory settings/sounds back into it?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I purchased a used Nord Rack 2 and the previous owner changed all of the factory settings and sounds... how do i restore them?

I have midi cables and a midi box for my comp, but i cannot figure out how to reach my Nord Rack 2 through the computer to dump all the information i downloaded from Nord. Also unsure of the info as it is very small Kb and is in .mid format.

I am using a Macbook Pro, version 10.6.2! thanks!

Someone help!

Also, how do i upgrade from version 1.03 to the final version? thanks!
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Nord Rack 2 restore factory settings/sounds! HELP
Subject description: How do i hook up my nord rack2 to transfer the original factory settings/sounds back into it?

welcome thespins05

I moved you question to the NordLead forum
thespins05 wrote:
I purchased a used Nord Rack 2 and the previous owner changed all of the factory settings and sounds... how do i restore them?
If you have a Rack2, not the 2X, only the first 40 memory locations are changed: this is the only RAM the synth has!
Quote:
I have midi cables and a midi box for my comp, but i cannot figure out how to reach my Nord Rack 2 through the computer to dump all the information i downloaded from Nord.
You need something to download to, like a tool or a soft sequencer, like CuBase or ProTools. A tool like http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/ could be helpful
Quote:
Also unsure of the info as it is very small Kb and is in .mid format.
Each Program is 139 bytes, yes, rather small, but it works Smile[
Quote:
I am using a Macbook Pro, version 10.6.2! thanks! …
Nobody is perfect Wink
Quote:
… Also, how do i upgrade from version 1.03 to the final version? …
Contact your local dealer or the distributor (who probably will direct you to a dealer) Inside the synth an E-eprom has to be changed. If they are not available Clavia burns new ones once in a while.

Being a newly member I direct you also to http://nm-archives.electro-music.com/020_NordLead2/

Wout
thespins05

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: nord lead rack 2
Subject description: nord lead rack 2

Hmmm~ So the only factory sounds that come with the synth are the first 40? Seems a bit low for Nord. Not sure if i read that right.

Also, i only could download 1 file from the Nord site for the Nord Lead rack 2, and it was the Internal.mid. Not sure what that is but i was told to download the original sounds/settings online, this was all i could find.

Ill begin work on the PCMCIA card aswell as getting the program updated
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thespins05 wrote:
Hmmm~ So the only factory sounds that come with the synth are the first 40? Seems a bit low for Nord. Not sure if i read that right.
Well, if you don’t use a Rack2X, which can’t be updated because only version 1.0 exists, there are only 40 locations…
Manual NordLead2 page 22 wrote:
Only Program numbers up to 40 in internal memory Bank can be used for saving!. If you try to save in higher program numbers, nothing will happen!
Quote:
Also, i only could download 1 file from the Nord site for the Nord Lead rack 2, and it was the Internal.mid. Not sure what that is but i was told to download the original sounds/settings online, this was all i could find.
That’s one option. The other is in the Performance mode of your synth…
Manual NordLead2 page 22 wrote:
Saving a Program will permanently overwrite an existing Program. Be careful so that you don’t accidentally erase a Program you’d like to keep! However, there is no danger of permanently losing the Factory Programs in RAM locations 01-40, since these are backed up as ROM Performances (see page 108).
Quote:
Ill begin work on the PCMCIA card aswell as getting the program updated
Nah, you can start right now!

Wout
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And don't forget to visit http://nm-archives.electro-music.com/020_NordLead2/

Wout
thespins05

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: !
Subject description: !

I thought the PCMCIA cards were rare and i had to buy them/find them! rather, i think there is a site that provides them that Nord posted.

now i understand about the 40 save able patches~ does this include all of the space for all of the custom patches that you pointed me to? (ie, the last post you made with the website)

Still unsure how to find my clavia harddrive on my mac once its hooked up Midi through my M audio interface.. i can only get it to talk to my computer~ like a midi tool.

~ Thanks! im a noob
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: !
Subject description: !

thespins05 wrote:
I thought the PCMCIA cards were rare and i had to buy them/find them! rather, i think there is a site that provides them that Nord posted.
memorix elektronik GmbH
Zum Engelberg 12
D-79249 Merzhausen

T. 0049/761/4004440
F. 0049/761/4004441

http://www.memorix-elektronik.de/index_en.php
Quote:
now i understand about the 40 save able patches~ does this include all of the space for all of the custom patches that you pointed me to? (ie, the last post you made with the website)
Yes! I know it isn't very much, so the computer harddisk or a PCMCIA card have to do the job. Just realize the NordLead hit the market 15 years ago! And is still in production, which is rather rare when you come to think of it…
Quote:
Still unsure how to find my clavia harddrive on my mac once its hooked up Midi through my M audio interface.. i can only get it to talk to my computer~ like a midi tool.
Yes, you have to use a Midi tool. Only it doesn’t connect you straight into the synth. To upload the data from the synth into the computer, you have to use [Shift+Dump One] or [Shift+Dump All]to send the SysEx data (Dump One is only 139 bytes!) The tool has to be able to ‘read’ the SysEx. Mostly every Midi librarian can do this, like ‘Send SysEx’. The tool has to work the other way too: send to data into the synth. Again, a PCMCIA card is useful, because Performances can only be handled by the card.
The V1.03 works the same as the V1.06 concerning this procedure, so no need to wait until the update.

Wout
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Jump to: