electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » News... » Gear News
Korg monotron
Page 1 of 3 [72 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
ocp

Audio files: 9

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:23 am    Post subject: Korg monotron
Subject description: Analogue Ribbon Synthesizer
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Powered by two AAA alkaline batteries, plus a true analog filter with audio input. The monotron uses the same highly acclaimed VCF circuit as Korg's classic MS-10 and MS-20 semi modular synthesizers. Available in August 2010 with an MSRP of $85.00.

These will sell like cupcakes!

alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just saw a video for this. I think its cute, but honestly it's waaay too small for fat fingers like mine. And waaaay overpriced.

Someone needs to get a schematic for this. I bet one of us could make one cheaper than $85 US!

Sure sounds cool though. Smile

ocp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's the video:

GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

$85 for an official remake of the MS-10/MS-20 filter is an amazing price. It cannot truly be compared to the $14 stylophone sold at Amazon, which is probably not a true analog synth like the Monotron.

The last filter pedal to feature the MS-20 type filter sold for $250.

Some old stuff on VIRB
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah $85 is nothing for an instrument like this, methinks. There are single oscillator modules (sans power supply or anything) to be had for several times that price!

/Stefan

modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 275

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looks like a fun toy Smile
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So you can send stuff thru it to affect it as well? Hmm... maybe I do want one!

So small though... wonder if it can be rebuilt into a larger format for fat fingers like me.

ocp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and another:

nobody

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems cool, but the tiny ribbon keyboard is IMO a FAIL. It should have been made at least twice that size, or at least have a MIDI control option (does it?).
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

audiodef - thats where people like me come in. First thing I will do once I've played withit is open it and see if I can put it into a larger box with bigger "keys and knobs". I have fat fingers and there's no way I could hit those keys without hitting the ones on each side of the intended one ;D
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=571

My comments and speculations about this thing:

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-289564.html#289564

varice wrote:
grimley wrote:
I wonder if one of these could be modded to receive cv input from a G2?

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/03/24/korg-monotron-pocketable-85-real-analog-synth-with-ms-filter-hackable/

http://www.korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=571

Hmmm… maybe… possibly…?

Wow, that monotron is so small though. Probably no room to add CV input jacks! Laughing It is so small that I think that it does not use discrete components for the circuitry, maybe a custom IC. Still, the points to add CV input for VCO pitch and VCF cutoff frequency should be easy to find. Since it runs on two 1.5 volt batteries, the required CV input range is also probably small. The max +4/-4 volt CV output of the G2 would likely be just fine.

I wonder how close they got this thing to sound like the MS-20 filter.

Last edited by varice on Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Has any release date been set? I don't see any dates anywhere, but I could have missed it.
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

alienmeatsack wrote:
Has any release date been set? I don't see any dates anywhere, but I could have missed it.

This says AUG2010:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/03/24/korg-monotron-pocketable-85-real-analog-synth-with-ms-filter-hackable/

nobody

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have the same problem with fat fingers!

This is fat finger discrimination. Korg should be sued. Shocked
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How do you guys know that your fingers are too big for the ribbon controller? I did not see specs posted for the ribbon.

The keyboard is merely painted or stickered onto the ribbon - just a visual guide for pitches to hit on what is essentially a continuous pitch interface. I'm guessing the ribbon is the same size as the one on the Korg M3 series keyboards. Perhaps you could visit a music shop that has an M3 and see if your finger fits.

Some old stuff on VIRB
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The jury was out on this, and I now return with my verdict;

The Monotron is bobbins (crap).

The Monotron is just, IMO, Korg cashing in on the success of the Gakken SX-150 (which essentially is what the Mono is, because the SX also contains the very same MS10 filter.

I'm saving for an iPad and NLog, or even Teenage Engineering's OP-1. Now there's a thought! Yes pricey, but very, very nice!! Cool

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.

Last edited by v-un-v on Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
nobody

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Boo!

Well, that's $85 I can save toward a TI, then.
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
The jury was out on this, and I now return with my verdict;

The Monotron is just, IMO, Korg cashing in on the success of the Gakken SX-150 (which essentially is what the Mono is, because the SX also contains the very same MS10 filter.

I'm saving for an iPad and NLog, or even Teenage Engineering's OP-1. Now there's a thought! Yes pricey, but very, very nice!! Cool

I totally agree on the OP-1! Look closely at the specs and it looks revolutionary, even at the currently stated price (about $400?).

djsinistral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject:  it is what it is, and it looks like fun
Subject description: -

v-un-v wrote:

The Monotron is just, IMO, Korg cashing in on the success of the Gakken SX-150

yes it's basically an sx150, but for $25 more, you get an authentic korg ms filter plus it's already built for you, so you save time. and solder.

well, well worth $25 in my opinion.

+nobodies heard this thing yet so you can't really judge it overall. take it for what it looks to be - a fun toy, for nix.

and korg - thankyou THANKYOU for finally putting a synth out that IS analogue! it's been way too long. Smile
-
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: it is what it is, and it looks like fun
Subject description: -

djsinistral wrote:
you get an authentic korg ms filter plus it's already built for you, so you save time. and solder.

Right. And you have built a Gakken have you? How much solder did you have to use? Rolling Eyes Laughing

djsinistral wrote:
+nobodies heard this thing yet

erm, and hello? Have you not seen the videos too, on YouTube?? Shocked Rolling Eyes here, and here?? Confused

Get a grip, and build a MFOS Soundlab instead! It's cheaper, more versatile, and best of all, it does use solder!

You can, you know, also build an authentic MS10 filter for less than a tenner?!!

So there you go. The Monotron. Cute, but pointless! Laughing

PS, and welcome to electro-music.com too! Evil or Very Mad Wink Very Happy Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can assemble cheap furniture from Ikea. That is about the extent of my skills with tools. I am an utter disaster though when it comes to assembling electronics. You do NOT want to be within 10 meters of me if I have a soldering iron in my hands.

How much time would it take for someone like me to assemble a Gakken SX-150?

BTW, the SX-150's external input is a trigger-only input, right? Or can I really run someones voice into it and process her voice via the filter?

Some old stuff on VIRB
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:
You do NOT want to be within 10 meters of me if I have a soldering iron in my hands.

Shocked Laughing

It took me and Flossy about 20 mins to assemble the Gakken. No soldering in sight anywhere.

(It did however take a little bit longer to dry out the cardboard packet that had got covered in tea bags, just before I dragged it out of the bin, realising that the cardboard box that the SX came in was part of the chassis! Shocked Rolling Eyes )

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:
You do NOT want to be within 10 meters of me if I have a soldering iron in my hands.

Shocked Laughing

I genuinely wanted to know how long it would take a tool-incompetent such as myself to assemble a Gakken, assuming I don't break the thing by accident.

v-un-v wrote:

It took me and Flossy about 20 mins to assemble the Gakken. No soldering in sight anywhere.

I know you are a veteran builder/modder type person, which I am most certainly not. If it took you 20 min. I reckon it would take me 10x that time, so maybe half a day for me?

What about the external audio input? Can I run vocals or guitar through it's filter?

Some old stuff on VIRB
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:

I know you are a veteran builder/modder type person, which I am most certainly not. If it took you 20 min. I reckon it would take me 10x that time, so maybe half a day for me?

What about the external audio input? Can I run vocals or guitar through it's filter?

Moi??! I don't think so! Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm a bad slacker meself Very Happy

The Gakken can be modded for external in, just look on the web Smile

abstraktor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Korg Monotron -better than a stylophone but a one trick pony compared to my Touch with Bebot, Space,Android and Jasuto Pro! Razz
Page 1 of 3 [72 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Gear News
Jump to: