electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » News... » Gear News
New stuff from Elektron
Page 1 of 3 [53 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
ark

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: New stuff from Elektron
Subject description: Octatrack + ehnancements to Machinedrum and Monomachine
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's hard to get through to Elektron's website today because of demand, but apparently at Musikmesse they're demonstrating an incomplete prototype of a new product called Octatrack. It appears to be an 8-track sequencer with extended sampling capabilities, including timestretching. Instead of 8 knobs, it has 7 knobs plus a fader. Apparently that fader can also be assigned as a crossfader.

Octatrack has an SD card slot and will accept up to 64GB cards. It also has a USB port (!)

As the prototype is incomplete, any further details are apt to be sketchy at best. It is scheduled to be available in late 2010, but of course it is harder to predict the future than to predict the past.

More interesting, in some ways, are the enhancements to Machinedrum and Monomachine. First, there are big price drops -- about 25%. Second, there's a new feature called +DRIVE. It's a memory add-on that multiplies the current memory by 128. Essentially, you can store the entire state of the machine in one of 128 "snapshots," and you can reload any snapshot later on. Doing so is claimed to take a few seconds, so presumably you can't do it while you're playing. But effectively you can store a bunch of different configurations and pick from among them.

On the Machinedrum you also have the option of loading just the samples from a snapshot. So you can combine the kits from one snapshot with the samples from another, or you can use snapshots to build up a sample library.

They claim that all new Machinedrum and Monomachine devices will include this enhancement, effective immediately. I imagine that will be a headache for retailers with units in stock. Existing Machinedrum and Monomachine devices can be upgraded if you're willing to send the machine back to Sweden. If you bought yours recently, there's a discount on the upgrade.
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah there have been rumors about the Octatrack floating around. I've been glancing at the MachineDrum, a price drop is definitely interesting. Elektron's homepage currently has a picture saying "Thanks for breaking our server" Smile

/Stefan

robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So it's basically an advanced looper? In a similar way that Ableton Live was a looper when it first came out?

Interesting, but... Seems like this product is a little late, as I see it.

ark

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Muied Lumens wrote:
So it's basically an advanced looper? In a similar way that Ableton Live was a looper when it first came out?

Interesting, but... Seems like this product is a little late, as I see it.

Well, we don't really know what it is yet, especially as development is not complete. I am pretty sure I did hear, for example, that it has parameter locks, and I can't think of any looper that does that.
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ark wrote:
Well, we don't really know what it is yet, especially as development is not complete. I am pretty sure I did hear, for example, that it has parameter locks, and I can't think of any looper that does that.

I am not dismissing it, but I have a similar feeling that I had after I had tried the Monomachine for the first time. Fantastic product, but not on the top of my wish list. Yet. I shall wait and see if this one is a climber. Smile

I really appreciate swedish synth makers and love their eye for simplicity and detail. Electron have definitely had the intent of creating a performance instrument, and that is where their strength is. Parameter locks rocks! I am eager to see what Teenage Engineering comes up with as well eventually.

robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Parameter locks are indeed in there. This video probably shows better what it is capable of, compared to previous ones...

GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Muied Lumens wrote:
So it's basically an advanced looper? In a similar way that Ableton Live was a looper when it first came out?.

I own a couple of loopers: EHX 16 Second Delay Reissue and Gibson Echoplex Digital Pro Plus.

If the Octatrack allows the user to overdub track after track of audio in realtime without stopping playback of previously recorded samples, that would be very nice indeed. If on the other hand it is like most samplers (samplers, that is, that cannot be used as true loopers), it can record a sampler OR it can play back samples, but cannot do both at the same time.

Some old stuff on VIRB
ark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New stuff from Elektron
Subject description: Octatrack + ehnancements to Machinedrum and Monomachine
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ark wrote:
More interesting, in some ways, are the enhancements to Machinedrum and Monomachine. First, there are big price drops -- about 25%.
The price drop turned out to be a false alarm. I saw a comment about price reduction and a price that was substantially less than what I thought the price had been, but unfortunately the reason for the discrepancy was that the price reduction was for the Machinedrum SPS-1, not the SPS-1UW. So the base price was also that for the SPS-1.

On the other hand, the +Drive option is now included in the price, and that's a significant improvement.
miketheman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:
Muied Lumens wrote:
So it's basically an advanced looper? In a similar way that Ableton Live was a looper when it first came out?.

I own a couple of loopers: EHX 16 Second Delay Reissue and Gibson Echoplex Digital Pro Plus.

If the Octatrack allows the user to overdub track after track of audio in realtime without stopping playback of previously recorded samples, that would be very nice indeed. If on the other hand it is like most samplers (samplers, that is, that cannot be used as true loopers), it can record a sampler OR it can play back samples, but cannot do both at the same time.

The octatrack are aimed to be as much a looper as a sampler. Looper in the sense as how you would use it in realtime. Sampler in the sense as how you are able to store and have access to a large memory of samples.
A close friend of mine works at electron. I won´t reveal too much info since I´m not sure of what I am free to reveal and that I don´t know what features really getting in there and what are supposed to be changed...

Let me just say that my friend has borrowed mine EDP for some months to analyze its features. I have also provided a must-have list of suggestions (from a looper persons view)... overdub/multiply is a must. Some of the Octatrack features he has mentioned to me is quite mindblowing to say the least... so I think it´s really going to be a killer machine.

/Mike

ark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

miketheman wrote:
Let me just say that my friend has borrowed mine EDP for some months to analyze its features. I have also provided a must-have list of suggestions (from a looper persons view)... overdub/multiply is a must. Some of the Octatrack features he has mentioned to me is quite mindblowing to say the least... so I think it´s really going to be a killer machine.

I've already ordered one, sight unseen.

I figure that the feature set will become known before the devices start shipping, and I can cancel my order before it ships without penalty. But if it turns out to be halfway as interesting as it looks from the advance publicity, then there is literally no competition--at least not at present--and it seems to fit the kind of music I'm interested in making much better than any other hardware I've seen.
miketheman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, probably no problem in doing/thinking so. My belief is that you won´t regret it and therefore return it though...

I spoke to my friend last weekend, and he mentioned that as it looks now they are on schedule, so release really seems to be quarter 4 of this year.

/Mike

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ark wrote:

I've already ordered one, sight unseen.

What's the asking price?

Some old stuff on VIRB
jonnyj

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm afraid to ask, it looks expensive but what isn't in this field? Smile

-J
miketheman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Price will probably be close around to where the machinedrum lies, according to my friend when we met last time (see one of my above posts).

Don´t remember if it were the regular or the UW he meant though... Embarassed

Somewhere in that price range anyway. But I don´t know if it will be the same when it comes to dollar/euro...

/mike

robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They mentioned 1200 Euro on the old FAQ page, before their octatrak page changed.

Now they will be posting a new "fact" every week until release it seems:

http://www.elektron.se/products/octatrack

I think I want one now after all. Smile

edit: made my post clearer

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The price is $1490 at Elektron's online store, $1440 at a couple of US online shops (Sweetwater and Gear Orphanage).

Sooo, who got one? Is 64MB enough memory for you? Anybody get a better price than the above?

Some old stuff on VIRB
ark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:
Sooo, who got one? Is 64MB enough memory for you? Anybody get a better price than the above?

They've delayed the ship date. And it's 64GB, not 64MB. The unit ships with a 4GB card, half of which is already filled with loops from Loopmasters.

As for prices, ask around. Dealers often sell for less than they advertise.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ark wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

They've delayed the ship date. And it's 64GB, not 64MB. The unit ships with a 4GB card, half of which is already filled with loops from Loopmasters.

64GB sounds a lot better. Thanks for the correction.

Fair enough. I've ordered from two well-known stores that regularly sell gear at lower prices than can be found on their websites.

Some old stuff on VIRB
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From http://www.elektron.se/

Quote:
The Octatrack is now shipping. All those of you who have placed pre-orders will within the next couple of days receive a mail from UPS containing the tracking number of the shipment.

Orders placed and paid during the next couple of days might not ship the same day because of the large amount of pre-order units that need to be shipped. The shipping delay will not last longer than a couple of days.

Mr. Green

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ark wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

Hi Andrew,

Have you got hold of your Octatrack yet?

Andy
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually reading the posts again has anyone got theirs yet?
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm clicking F5 on the order status page... a theory circulates that Elektron forgot that they were all going to be at NAMM when the set the last shipping date.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

I'm still asking around. I got my preorder quote from NovaMusik - $1400. Waiting on a quote from another store. Will probably call yet another today.

I plan to sell some gear for this thing.

Some old stuff on VIRB
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
I'm clicking F5 on the order status page... a theory circulates that Elektron forgot that they were all going to be at NAMM when the set the last shipping date.

Snap!
ark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

Some people have gotten tracking numbers.
Page 1 of 3 [53 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Gear News
Jump to: