electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Simple Lunetta - in Synthedit!
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
telstarmagikistferrari

Audio files: 43

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Simple Lunetta - in Synthedit! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This patch requires synthedit, I'm working on getting the VST version to work. This really does sound remarkably like a real Lunetta. I used three oscillators, an oscillator driving a 'step counter,' an XOR gate, OR gate, and a shift register. It is great fun to play with, and one can alter the patching at will within synthedit. I hope SOMEONE on this subforum has synthedit. Included is an image of the patch. I haven't been able to record its output yet, but will as soon as I figure out how. As an owner and operator of a Lunetta this was remarkably easy to put together despite only working with synthedit for a day or two. Logic is fun. Smile

LunettaOne.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.02 KB
 Viewed:  926 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

LunettaOne.png

telstarmagikistferrari

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I figured out a workaround for recording files.. I used a VERY handy VST called BizuneFXR. One can use VSTs within synthedit, and create your own (this is its real purpose). Anyway, I'm still working on this and I've decided it definitely needs more work. This is just one patch of many possible.

Enjoy!

Marck

LunettaOne.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  LunettaOne.mp3
 Filesize:  910.88 KB
 Downloaded:  1050 Time(s)

droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, I had not taken a close look at Synthedit, it's great that you can access those digital tools. Is there a way to do blinking LEDs? Wink

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
telstarmagikistferrari

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not sure droffset.. I'm just scratching the surface of synthedit. It's pretty powerful though; I'd say at LEAST 50% of the freeware vsts I use were made in synthedit. I use a very wide variety of tools but I can't recall whether any of them utilize a blinking LED sort of thing. I'll attempt to investigate this.
droffset

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just kidding about the LEDs Smile

I finally got a MIDI controller this weekend so definitely will be playing around with Synthedit. The free VSTs I've found are pretty great too.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have used Synthedit. I wrote a nice ambiophonicDSP with it. It was great, but I switched to SynthMaker. It is very similar, but to me it's more useful for sample accurate audio DSP.

Anyway, doing Lunetta circuits on a system like SynthEdit is a natural. Please keep us posted.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
slugger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, they aren't really Lunetta-inspired (I've only just stumbled on this concept myself), but many of the things I've done in SE are in a similar frame of mind I think, there are even a few things that use some of SE's logic stuff. Download index here:

http://synthgeek.skincontact.com/node/49

Most stuff there is freeware.

There is also a SynthEdit project file for my Atari Punk Console emulation on this page:

http://synthgeek.skincontact.com/node/154

telstarmagikistferrari

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Slugger,
Thanks for posting! I've used sg-grainbot some on my tracks. Nice work. I'm obviously just getting into Synthedit. Some of my truly favorite plugins are made by a group (someone?) called Insert Piz Here.

http://www.thepiz.org/

These are awesome plugins with logic gates and other tasty tidbits.. anyone into lunetta's or glitchy, dirty synths would totally love these. I've used them in a bunch of my songs. Accurate pitch tracking is not part of the picture here. Enjoy, all. I'd love to hear what people think of these.
slugger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, telstarmagikistferrari... cool to hear from a user. Smile

Yep, I know the Piz... I did some of the presets for the latest version of Mr. Alias Pro too. That is one awesome noise machine.

slugger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

quick PS:

Here is a link to an interesting 3rd party module called LogiMod that has a bunch of interesting "modes" you can use to combine inputs (on the SE Gathering site):

http://synthedit.audioholik.com/forums.html?name=Jokes&jid=17&cid=7&sortby=name&ad=asc

I'm not affiliated with either that site or the module in any way, just thought I'd pass it along.

Also, xoxos and dover do some pretty cool stuff module-wise.

droffset

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for posting these links, can't wait to dig into them when there's time.

I'm very interested in interfacing VSTs with my hardware lunetta stuff, if you guys have ideas about that let me know. SynthEdit and SynthMaker look pretty useful. Maybe there's a plugin to add hours to the day. Smile

slugger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

droffset wrote:
I'm very interested in interfacing VSTs with my hardware lunetta stuff, if you guys have ideas about that let me know. SynthEdit and SynthMaker look pretty useful.

If you have money to spend, there's this: http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/silentway.html - it won't work with all sound cards, they have compatibility info on their site. I don't use it myself.

Quote:
Maybe there's a plugin to add hours to the day. Smile

Still looking for that one myself...

slugger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's another one, named in honor of Lunetta(s). This image shows the important sound-generating part:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

And here's a VST version:

http://synthgeek.skincontact.com/files/plugins/sg-lunettiksr1.zip

screenshot:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

I would upload a project file too, but it uses some payware 3rd party modules. If anyone's really interested, I can put up a version without those modules that will still be fully functional (minus the filter, and possibly some other amenities).

telstarmagikistferrari

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome! Slugger, I finally figured out how to get audio outputs on my module, but I'm not getting a midi in in Plogue Bidule (a modular vst host). Also my instruments have been showing up under VST effects. Can you help?

edit: I really like that plugin you made. I'll be studying the way you put it together. There are so many VSTs out there but I think there's still a few things that haven't been done. Your sg-grainbot is a good example. Which now has been done. Smile
slugger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

telstarmagikistferrari wrote:
Awesome! Slugger, I finally figured out how to get audio outputs on my module, but I'm not getting a midi in in Plogue Bidule (a modular vst host). Also my instruments have been showing up under VST effects. Can you help?

I think so. Smile You need a MIDI to CV module if you want MIDI input... it will convert note on/off messages to gate signals and give you SE "control voltages" for pitch, velocity, and aftertouch. Connect your I/O module to the MIDI in pin of the MIDI to CV, and the output pins of the MIDI to CV to whatever you're trying to control (pitch out to osc pitch pins, velocity to an ADSR's level pin, etc). Apologies if I'm telling you something you already know- but I have used my stuff in Bidule, so I'm guessing that's the problem.

As for synths showing up as effects- there is a checkbox in the "Save as VST" dialog that says "Plugin is synth" or something like that, which should be checked. Note that even if you forget to do that, the plugin should still work in any host that can send MIDI to effects, it just won't get put in your host's instrument list.

Cool to see a fellow Bidule user here, btw. Smile

Quote:
edit: I really like that plugin you made. I'll be studying the way you put it together. There are so many VSTs out there but I think there's still a few things that haven't been done. Your sg-grainbot is a good example. Which now has been done. Smile

Thanks! I agree that there are still new things to try. I don't claim to be any sort of SE master or anything, most of the coolest stuff I've done was just the result of trying something "wrong" that happened to work. I mean no disrespect to other developers with what I'm about to say, but I think most of the VST world is still hung up on making the ultimate Moog emulation or virtual Neve channel strip instead of exploring the possibilities. I don't really think it's entirely the dev's faults though, since that's what users buy, and they've gotta eat too.

Oh, and here's another link: Novaflash SE resource links page

telstarmagikistferrari

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://mokafix.chez-alice.fr/vst/SE_modules.html

<==-- Found the above page on that novaflash page you posted. Jack cables! From what I can tell these would be awesome to build a lunetta-type vst with lots of routing options. I'm getting ahead of myself, of course. I can only hope not to come off as a clueless geek. Smile
slugger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

telstarmagikistferrari wrote:
Found the above page on that novaflash page you posted. Jack cables! From what I can tell these would be awesome to build a lunetta-type vst with lots of routing options. I'm getting ahead of myself, of course. I can only hope not to come off as a clueless geek. Smile

Yeah, it does look cool. I haven't messed with that one yet myself, because it looks like it requires a lot of setup.

Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: