electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Casper Electronics Drone Lab
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [29 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Casper Electronics Drone Lab Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am surprised there isn't more talk here about the Casper Electronics Drone Lab.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Anyone played with one of these? Anyone built one?

I've got the kit sitting at home waiting for me to find the time to put it together. It's a bit above my current level of comfort, build wise, but the sounds it makes make me giggly inside.

alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Drone Lab built.......and played with! Took me 2 days (about 8 hours) to get from start to finish, including prep and taking pics during.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7YzkHOtZ0w

For those interested, I have posted all the pictures I took at the links below. I tend to take tons of pics, some are blurry, some are tiny steps forward in progress. Have a look if you like.

Un-Boxing:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alienmeatsack/sets/72157623700180211/

Pre-Assembly:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alienmeatsack/sets/72157623760901273/

Assembly, Day 1:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alienmeatsack/sets/72157623885669282/

Assembly, Day 2:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alienmeatsack/sets/72157623766017549/

alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Final Completion Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alienmeatsack/sets/72157623890733818/

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think for what it does, imo, it was rather expensive- compared to that of say, the Lunetta's.
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A forum full of eletro minded peeps and I get 1 single comment on the Drone Lab thread I created? So, is there a "We hate Drone Lab" club or something?

I like it. I really enjoyed building it. I like the sounds it makes.

I cannot be alone. Please someone give me hope.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're not alone. I really liked the sounds this thing made, but a handful of 4xxx cmos chips and some veroboard is much cheaper option for many.

I don't hate the CEDL, I just couldn't afford one (and to be honest, I've already got loads of stuff that needs to be built already! Shocked

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

alienmeatsack wrote:
A forum full of eletro minded peeps and I get 1 single comment on the Drone Lab thread I created?

If you posted to the DIY Hardware & Software forums, I think you'd get plenty more responses. That's where the builder/tweaker types hang out.

Some old stuff on VIRB
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can someone move it there perhaps then please and thanks? Smile

Too many projects to be built - sounds like a theme in my life lately. I currently have 3 bends in progress, 2 small circuit builds and 2 kits coming. Not including the dozens of notes for things I want to try and make too!

droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just don't know much about it, but it's definitely cool to look at. CE has a great sense of presentation. The sounds are cool too.

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

alienmeatsack wrote:
Can someone move it there perhaps then please and thanks? Smile

Yes, done! Very Happy

Sorry I didn't think of this earlier (cheers GS! Very Happy ).

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think that for your little bit of experiences in building, you did a great job! Very Happy

I have to agree with the chief though, at it being very expensive, for what it can do. Sad

It does have some nifty capabilities and would definitely be fun to play with though. (And here I flip again.) But ... the things that we can do, with just a few chips - can result in a lot more power.

But still .... it IS a great experience building something like that and having it work as well! Smile

Keep soldering away and asking questions as well. Also - if you haven't checked out the LUnetta section here - there are HUGE amount of very useful info. in it, with a lot great circuits from others, to learn from whilst building as well. Smile
droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you're paying for presentation though, which can count for a lot. I mean check it out, you have everything including input/output jacks/switches and pots on the board, and the etched clear acrylic covering, complete with the knobs etc. That's a whole kit, you know? Very clean. (Did all that come in the kit?)

So as a service of providing a kit CE did good by supplying a Complete kit.
I'd mod it to work with my Lunetta though, mmm, juicy logic.

You sir, should visit the Lunetta forum.

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
slugger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
I think for what it does, imo, it was rather expensive- compared to that of say, the Lunetta's.

This is why I don't have one.

Like the others, I don't mean to diss CE, and I understand that for some the option of a kit complete with a sort of enclosure is a more attractive option than sourcing everything themselves and finding a cool housing for it.

RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks like a nice build - congrats on it.

I've looked at those a couple times...but ended up grabbing the schematic and using circuit bits gleaned from it here and there... It does make some great sounds.... but for that many $$$ - yikes.

(definately a good idea to move it to this section of the forum - I never would have seen it otherwise)

bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
adambee7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got so many projects to finish but i really want a couple of these. They do sound great. It would be interesting to see what customization you can do to it. Looks aswell as sound. Very Happy Very Happy
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

droffset, I got the complete kit + housing (with the fancy clear top). So everything came with it.

I wish that the oscillation would also effect the Input material too. But otherwise quite happy with it. I got it more for the build than the end result... I am slowly amassing an army of digital gadgets to make some music at some point with.

I have DnB on the mind and have wanted to try it for a long time. So who knows.

My first goal in regards to hacking/bending is to change the LEDs out. I was thinking I might add a 1/8" output as well so I can use headphones/earbuds easily. And adding some kind of logic/output LED for activity indication.

sync24

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i've been putting one of these together Smile
i was taken in by the whole aesthetic of the finished piece and didn't really think it was too expensive for what you get - for me it's a good way of building confidence!
i'm just waiting on mouser getting some switches and pot caps in... i didn't realise (in my excitement) they were out of stock, and, being a bit noob, don't really know what alternative switches i could get away with.

anyway, a friend of mine is gonna build one too and we'll be havin a jam, eventually...

yours looks spot-on mr meatstack, i pointed my buddy at your flickr pages to help him along with getting started.

Very Happy
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found that the manual was very helpful, printed in color. Some of the location call outs are a bit difficult to pick out of the chaos on the illustrations, but if you go thru it all and find each one up front, that helps.

I've been spennding a lot of time playing with mine, just to get to know what it can do. I've yet to try the CV stuff, as I am unsure exactly what kind of signal to feed into it.

I do think a few DLs together would be very sweet. I was thinking that if you could put 2 together and seperate the 8 drones, then add a sequencer control for each, you could have yourself a cool sequenced lab.

For those of you using one, what do you do with it, how do you control it, what do you run it into to filter/affect it? J/C.

sync, hopefully my pics will be useful. My original goal was to take a pic before each section, then after, then note where everything was installed for that part. I never got around to that part obviously.

But, I took a ****load of pics so hopefully he gets some use out of them. Smile

sync24

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

alienmeatsack wrote:
I found that the manual was very helpful, printed in color. Some of the location call outs are a bit difficult to pick out of the chaos on the illustrations, but if you go thru it all and find each one up front, that helps.

I've been spennding a lot of time playing with mine, just to get to know what it can do. I've yet to try the CV stuff, as I am unsure exactly what kind of signal to feed into it.

I do think a few DLs together would be very sweet. I was thinking that if you could put 2 together and seperate the 8 drones, then add a sequencer control for each, you could have yourself a cool sequenced lab.

For those of you using one, what do you do with it, how do you control it, what do you run it into to filter/affect it? J/C.

sync, hopefully my pics will be useful. My original goal was to take a pic before each section, then after, then note where everything was installed for that part. I never got around to that part obviously.

But, I took a ****load of pics so hopefully he gets some use out of them. Smile

arrrrgh!!!!
i want to get mine finished...!
everything is done, just waiting for mouser and i can't find any alternative sources - noob!!!
your pics helped me too, cheers Smile
nice work, and i like yr tumblr blog too - cool!

am curious to play with the CV stuff and my old synths, could be good too, no idea what it's going to do though...
i just wanna finish it but have to wait til july Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
sync24

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

finished mine now!
last parts came early Smile

made a recording with it this eve and posted it on the soundcloud group (under my new pseudonym

http://soundcloud.com/groups/drone-lab-music

thanks again mr meatstack, your pics rule and my buddy is gonna build his this week...

SPIKE the Percussionist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FRACKEN HELL!!

this thing basically sounds like my entire project Astrogenic Hallucinauting.
HEH!

I should just sell all my stuff and just use this thing!
I love it!

ok...
maybe i will just ADD it to the noiz toys i already have.
sick...

ok...
just when i thought i didn't need anything else...

must have...must have...must have...

++

[[more noiz!]]

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Troupe Music Director
DOGGEBI
morgue city
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've not spent a ton of time with it, but I think the real power comes when you use the CV stuff to mix it up/create tempo and blips and such.

It really does sound quite cool. I do think you could replicate some of it using 4 APCs run thru some filters too for cheaper. But, for me, as I've said, it was the build I was after.

I do want to try and do some sound with it that has some form. Im just not very musical.

SPIKE the Percussionist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

alienmeatsack wrote:
I've not spent a ton of time with it, but I think the real power comes when you use the CV stuff to mix it up/create tempo and blips and such.

It really does sound quite cool. I do think you could replicate some of it using 4 APCs run thru some filters too for cheaper. But, for me, as I've said, it was the build I was after.

I do want to try and do some sound with it that has some form. Im just not very musical.

four APCs?

++

[[more noiz!]]

SPIKE the Percussionist

DOGGEBI
morgue city
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SPIKE the Percussionist wrote:

four APCs?

Yeah, Atari Punk Consoles, or really any frequency generator. The Drone Lab, to me, sounds like 4 APCs, minus the wave form pot, and a smoother wave (sine?). Then run thru a series of filters, and with the tremelo function. Smile

I assume you could get a similar sound if you combined 4 of them into the input of the Drone Lab and ran them thru the LPF/HPF etc.

SPIKE the Percussionist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

alienmeatsack wrote:
SPIKE the Percussionist wrote:

four APCs?

Yeah, Atari Punk Consoles, or really any frequency generator. The Drone Lab, to me, sounds like 4 APCs, minus the wave form pot, and a smoother wave (sine?). Then run thru a series of filters, and with the tremelo function. Smile

I assume you could get a similar sound if you combined 4 of them into the input of the Drone Lab and ran them thru the LPF/HPF etc.

ohhh...
APCs.
i see.

nifty.

i do like the Atari Punk Console thingamabobbers...

but they are NOTHING like a noizSPIKE-2600/R!

HEH HEH!!
the sound of a REAL Atari is always preferred!

Very Happy

++

[[more noiz!]]

SPIKE the Percussionist

DOGGEBI
morgue city
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [29 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: