electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
Bubble Gun Midi controller
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
KupotheGreat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Bubble Gun Midi controller Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello all, I am new to both these forums and DIY synthesis. I play keyboards in a band and I'm always looking for new ideas. The other day I randomly came up with this one, but have no idea how to make it.

I want to combine a bubble gun w/ and LED like this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Q1O8WNAi4

with some sort of midi control. I was thinking the trigger would be note on off and then put a simple rotating knob for pitch. Does this make sense and is it even possible?

Thanks,
Benjamin
tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Benjamin, welcome to EM.

Quote:
I want to combine a bubble gun w/ and LED like this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Q1O8WNAi4

with some sort of midi control. I was thinking the trigger would be note on off and then put a simple rotating knob for pitch. Does this make sense and is it even possible?

It is very possible but it doesn't really make sense. If you just want a trigger and a knob you might as well go with some other case(it already looks crammed and water and electronics don't mix that well). Now, using a light sensitive resistor to output midi signals depending on how much illuminated bubbles come out could be very interesting.

If you have no knowledge in electronics and want to make your own midi controller, check out doepfers site: http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm

If you just want it to make sounds you might be better off with some simple analog circuitry like a atari punk console: http://www.getlofi.com/?p=518

noise
KupotheGreat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow that light sensitive resistor idea is great. That could be a really unique instrument.

When you say it doesn't really makes sense, I can feel you there. I'll try to explain.

Part of live music especially in rock/pop are the visuals. They are a large part of the performance. I just think it would be visually pleasing to have a beam of light and bubbles going all over the place. In an effort to make it less gimmicky I think it should be able to add to the music. Plus the visual aural connect can be a powerful thing.
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How about a bubble organ? a row of keys that play notes, and instead of pipes, there would be an upward pointing LED behind each key with a small bubble gun shooting bubbles upward right behind the LEDs...or somehow put the LED's inside the bubble shooter so they shine through the LED's, then you could make them multicolor LED's and have a color/bubble organ.

Might be cute for an intro or something, but would probably get thin quick.

Side firing lasers? Timed with a beat...Hmm.
tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Part of live music especially in rock/pop are the visuals. They are a large part of the performance. I just think it would be visually pleasing to have a beam of light and bubbles going all over the place. In an effort to make it less gimmicky I think it should be able to add to the music. Plus the visual aural connect can be a powerful thing.

I totally agree on that one, visuals can be very powerfull in a live gig. I would be carefull about gimicky stuff so it should control something. It might be cool to switch it around, trigger the bubble gun according to the music. for versatility and useability I would go with midi, do some searching on synchronizing to a midi clock signal. If you just want some very minor control over lets say a guitar you could hoop up a light sensitive resistor(ldr) facing the bubbles and hardwire that to something like the gain pot on a guitarpedal. The more light the ldr recieves the lower its resistance gets and the more gain your guitar will receive. you can use a ldr anywhere where there is a potentiometer or resistor in a circuit, just try some places with alligator clips.

post a video when you've got it working Very Happy

noise
KupotheGreat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm pretty busy with school, but if it works I will post vids for sure!
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
Jump to: