electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
MIDI keyboard to DIY controller?
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Klopfenpop

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: MIDI keyboard to DIY controller? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I'm wanting to make an interface that turns push button signals from a couple video game controllers into MIDI.

As far as I understand, every MIDI capable keyboard, at the very least, has this system built in (push buttons [read:keys] with MIDI signal outputing from the MIDI out port). Is there any way to use the guts of a MIDI capable keyboard, remove whatever I don't need (in my case, all but around 20 keys) and replace one by one the contacts going to the leads of each piano key (push button) and connect them to leads of a button on a videogame controller?

One problem that I don't know enough to predict may be the key sending velocity info while the video game controller button does not. Perhaps the keys are not analog push buttons, but actually sending digital information?
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am not a DYIer, so I cannot answer your questions, but I am wondering if you have to destroy a keyboard to do what you want.

Is your primary objective here to make use of videogame controllers you already have?

I believe that with PC controllers you can use software to generate midi data. I don't know if video game controllers can be converted for use on a PC.

--Steve
Klopfenpop

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm looking just finding a cheap keyboard at goodwill.

Yeah, I either need to convert to USB or to MIDI. MIDI seems more doable.
bod

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bit late in one this one, but some friends of mine did something similar to this a good few years ago. they use it for controlling the arkaos vj software mostly, but will work with anything midi based, and basically replaced the keys from a midi keboard with toggle switches and rehoused the whole thing.

check out http://www.thesoundsurgery.co.uk/videoswitchboard/ for details on the build, and their own site http://www.pointlesscreations.co.uk for some quality video nonsense!

happy hacking!
MusicScienceGuy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Look at the back issues of my blog, www.musicscienceguy.com
about 3-4 years ago I took apart a couple of keyboards and reassembled them into matirx keyboards. I "cheated" by re-using the PCBs the keyboards used, but could have wired into an array of switches. I used the existing PCB because I wanted velocity.
I could not find switches with the right properties to do velocity - one needs a precise time delay for that.
Ken. Smile

About 18 months ago, the Axis-49 keyboards came out. They do a much better job for my purposes.

old-jammer-pcb.jpg
 Description:
The PCB boards from a Yamaha DXJ keyboard
 Filesize:  1.43 MB
 Viewed:  264 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

old-jammer-pcb.jpg

Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
Jump to: