electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Buchla 292 Quad Dynamics Manager
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
TekniK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Buchla 292 Quad Dynamics Manager Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So what?

I did redraw and merge 4 circuits single side on a footprint that fits a 200 series pcb using Fonik LPG publications found here:

http://www.modular.fonik.de/Page15.html

Thanks Matt!

Much easyer then 4 little pcb's Wink

I did not yet built it,but i will,so i cannot tell if its 100% error free atm,but i think it is!

The pdf contains the scaled layout and all the needed built information.

QLPG.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  89.51 KB
 Viewed:  494 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

QLPG.jpg

Buchla Quad LPG.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Buchla Quad LPG.pdf
 Filesize:  676.28 KB
 Downloaded:  652 Time(s)

TekniK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pica,'Buchl@ Blue'

QuadLPG.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.04 KB
 Viewed:  421 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

QuadLPG.jpg

The Bad Producer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice Teknik, did you etch that yourself? Where did you get the blue PCB's?
TekniK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,no i did let them manufactured

i did populate already one pcb,but now i wait first to have frontpanels silkscreened,once built i only will know if the redraw of the circuit is error free.
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice work Teknik!
JCM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was curious how this one turned out. Any updates? I would love a simple quad LPG board myself.
TekniK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JCM wrote:
I was curious how this one turned out. Any updates? I would love a simple quad LPG board myself.

In 4 or 5 weeks i can tell you (then i have all my front panels made)
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice!

"IC 741. Sometimes you don't want fidelity." -Small Bear Electronics Catalog
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TekniK wrote:
pica,'Buchl@ Blue'

Beautiful work Teknik. Did u incorporate an extra opamp for the mixer, the "all" outputs?

I've never had a PCB made, are there manufacturers who can take a PDF image like the one above, and print a PCB from it? Or did u have to lay it out in a PCB program?

Thanks
TekniK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ericcoleridge wrote:
TekniK wrote:
pica,'Buchl@ Blue'

Beautiful work Teknik. Did u incorporate an extra opamp for the mixer, the "all" outputs?

I've never had a PCB made, are there manufacturers who can take a PDF image like the one above, and print a PCB from it? Or did u have to lay it out in a PCB program?

Thanks

This is just a test pcb,like i wrote i don't even know if its working,if its in blue its because for the same price i had the oppurtunity to have it in blue because the guy had some blue pcb material left over,thats all. Its also a home made pcb. you just can buy blue pcb material you know there is nothing special abouth it.

This one i did not draw in a PCB app. ,i just made a couple for personal use,but yes indeed if you wanna let made some pro pcb's these days you need gerber files.
n.d

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, does it work?
LFLab

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Teknik is no longer around (here) so he will not be of help. Etch it and find out!
Didn't realise this was available, quite convenient having four lpg's on a single board.
camelneck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

THIS LAYOUT WILL NOT WORK UNLESS THE FOLLOWING CORRECTIONS ARE MADE.

I just downloaded Teknik's Press N' Peel Layout for the Quad LPG, and the power connections didn't look right to me. So I downloaded Fonik's LPG schematic and started comparing the two documents.

If you look at Fonik's schematic you will see that only 2 components in each LPG are connected to -15V. This is the bypass capacitor C11 (10nF) and U1 pin 11 (TL074). However, in Teknik's layout you will see that C11 and U1 pin 11 are connected to ground instead of -15V!!!

Also, in regards to Teknik's layout, I noticed that C7 (220pf), C9 (1nF), R13 (4.7M), R10 (47K to 50K), and practically every other component that should be connected to ground was connected to the
-15V power rails instead of ground!!!!!!

At first, I thought this might just be a labeling error (although a rather serious one). I thought Teknik might have accidentally reversed the -15V and Gnd labels for the power supply pads.

However, if the labels for the power supply pads were accidentally reversed, then the four power supply bypass capacitors--C1 (100nF), C2 (100nF), C3 (10uF), and C4 (10uF)--would be connected to -15V in Teknik's layout. However, they are connected to ground as they should be.

Unfortunately, all this means that this layout cannot be fixed by simply swapping labels (or "-15V" and "Gnd" power connections). However, if this is the extent of the mistakes, this layout shouldn't be too hard to correct. Normally, if I planned to etch this PCB, I would correct the layout and post my corrections. However, I have recently built a 292 Quad LPG clone using 4 Thomas White PCBs so I don't know if I will ever etch this PCB unless I need a 2nd 292 module.

Nevertheless, here are step-by-step instructions on how I'd fix this problem with Teknik's layout.

1) Reverse (or switch) the labels for the "-15V" and "Gnd" power supply pads. Thus, when the power is connected to the PCB, what was once the -15V rails now become the ground rails and what was once the ground rails now becomes -15V rails.

2) Redraw the "Gnd" traces for C1, C2, C3, & C4, so that after the power supply labels are reversed, the common side of these four capacitors will now be connected to "Gnd" instead of "-15V". (These 4 capacitors were connected to "Gnd" prior to step 1, but after step 1, they became connected to -15V.)

3) Redraw the traces for R1 and R2 (both are 22 ohm resistors or Ferrite beads) so that they are properly connected. (In Teknik's layout, no power flows through these resistors and one end of each resistor is unconnected.) Actually, this is a separate mistake altogether.

SUMMARY:
Since I found all these mistakes in a matter of minutes, there is a fairly good chance that there could be other mistakes. I STOPPED LOOKING FOR MISTAKES AFTER I UNCOVERED THE ONES I MENTIONED ABOVE AND DISCOVERED THAT THE LAYOUT WILL NOT WORK AS IS.

So the entire layout needs to be double checked and compared with Fonik's schematic before someone builds this PCB and possibly fries a few TL074's (and possibly some expensive Vactrols).
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: