electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals
em2011 dates announced
Page 1 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 275
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: em2011 dates announced Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

got this from Greg via Facebook today:

Mark your Calendars! electro-music 2011 has been scheduled for Sept 8 - 11 in Huguenot, NY (same location as last year). More info to come...

Last edited by modulator_esp on Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
trotz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wish I could attent for the first time to this event! How do usually europeans organize their trip? (transport, accommodation, etc...)?
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I usually fly into Newark and you can get the train from the airport up to Port Jervis

accommodation is available at the event

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great news Jez, thanks ! I really liked this location at the last festival as the vibe was fantastic !! Everyone was focused and "into it" Cool

We will definately be there.

Bill
trotz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

modulator_esp wrote:
I usually fly into Newark and you can get the train from the airport up to Port Jervis

accommodation is available at the event

I'll be waiting for more news on the event, then. Looking forward to it.

egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The official announcement will probably come in January.
kkissinger

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: em2011 dates announced Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

modulator_esp wrote:

Mark your Calendars! electro-music 2011 has been scheduled for Sept 8 - 11 in Huguenot, NY (same location as last year). More info to come...

In the past, the festival has been for three days -- has an additional day been added?

modulator_esp
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: em2011 dates announced Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kkissinger wrote:
modulator_esp wrote:

In the past, the festival has been for three days -- has an additional day been added?

I just cut and pasted this from Greg's FB message, so only he has the answer Wink

egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It will be the same as last year - the Thursday before is for people who want to come early and help set up.
destroyifyer

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

trotz wrote:
Quote:
How do usually europeans organize their trip? (transport, accommodation, etc...)?

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
nobody

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm thinking about attending and performing. What kind of monitoring equipment is available, if any? Do we all have to bring our own loudspeaker rig?

I'm wondering the most about monitoring, due to the nature of my hearing. This is actually only important if I want to do vocals. Also, is there an effect/processing rack, or does everyone have to bring their own processing equipment, right down to reverb and compressors?
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The PA is supplied by volunteers, my recollection of the last one is that there were wedge monitors for both stages, but I don't think there was any effects/processing, so I'd guess if you have particular needs you may have to bring your own
kkissinger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

modulator_esp wrote:
The PA is supplied by volunteers, my recollection of the last one is that there were wedge monitors for both stages, but I don't think there was any effects/processing, so I'd guess if you have particular needs you may have to bring your own

To answer your question, the FOH mixer in the auditorium has onboard FX -- however, most people control their own FXs from the stage. A couple of people had seperate vocal channels and requested a little reverb to be added. Also, when I played theremin on a collaboration with Jack Hertz and Howard I added reverb to the theremin from the FOH mixer.

The vast majority of people mix themselves on stage and supply a stereo feed to the FOH mixer.

nobody

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Jez and Kevin.

Are performers able to do sound checks?
kkissinger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

audiodef wrote:
Thanks, Jez and Kevin.

Are performers able to do sound checks?

There is time for a sound check -- bear in mind that there is only 30 minutes between performances so the person who just finished must vacate the stage and the next performer must set up and accomplish a sound check.

So, to answer your question -- there isn't time for a luxurious (two or three hour) set up and sound check but there is enough time to set up, assure that everything is working, to set max levels, and do last minute tweaking if needed.

I would add that there are often more listeners on the stream then are actually in the live audience -- so to provide a nice feed to the stream is important. The FOH mixer supplies the stream and performers need not worry about it. However, if you bring your own sound system, then you must provide a stereo feed to the stream. Whenever performers use their own amplifiers (such as guitar amplifiers) then hum and ground loops become a factor and can slow down the sound check.

If you have special requirements then be sure that you discuss this ahead of time so we aren't forced to improvise during the 30 minute setup time.

Hope this information is helpful.

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh yeah - I'll be there. Will be there in time to do setups etc. Ian's coming along too. Not certain about what we're doing before and after the event but we'll be staying in the area for a few extra days either side (the area being the Northeast USA).

Home,My Studio,and another view
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kkissinger wrote:

Also, when I played theremin on a collaboration with Jack Hertz and Howard I added reverb to the theremin from the FOH mixer.

Correction - I believe that was Jack Tamul, not Jack Hertz!
Jack Hertz did the artwork for em2010, but was not there.

kkissinger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

egw wrote:
kkissinger wrote:

Also, when I played theremin on a collaboration with Jack Hertz and Howard I added reverb to the theremin from the FOH mixer.

Correction - I believe that was Jack Tamul, not Jack Hertz!
Jack Hertz did the artwork for em2010, but was not there.

Thank you for the correction, Greg. Embarassed

nobody

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the details, Kevin. Smile

The only thing I would need to be concerned about is making sure I can monitor my own vocals - IF i do vocals. But that would really be my responsibility, since I'm the only one who can set something up to my specific needs. Other than that, it would really be plugging synths into the FOH so I'd be nothing special in that regard.

I also have not done anything live in probably more than 15 years. Shocked

It's likely I would not do vocals if I attend, anyway, at least not this time. Heck, I still have to decide if I'm able to attend based on finances by the deadline.
nobody

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Last night, I realised I have a major financial stumbling block to my attendance, at least as a performer. I have no hard cases for my synths, and may not able to afford to buy some. I don't relish the idea of doing a performance off just one synth. I love making my machines work together.

I'll just have to see how it goes. Possibly, if things are fortuitous, register after the deadline and hope for a spot.

Crying or Very sad
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Often we have late cancellations, and people on the waiting list usually can get a spot. This year may be a little tougher - the response so far has been very good.
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

audiodef wrote:
Last night, I realised I have a major financial stumbling block to my attendance, at least as a performer. I have no hard cases for my synths, and may not able to afford to buy some. I don't relish the idea of doing a performance off just one synth. I love making my machines work together.

I'll just have to see how it goes. Possibly, if things are fortuitous, register after the deadline and hope for a spot.

Crying or Very sad

depending on how you are travelling, you may be able to get away with using the boxes or soft cases

and there's plenty of time to work on a more minimal approach and rig

it can be a good opportunity to try a more streamlined approach and in my experience this has been quite liberating Smile

nobody

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

modulator_esp wrote:

depending on how you are travelling, you may be able to get away with using the boxes or soft cases

and there's plenty of time to work on a more minimal approach and rig

it can be a good opportunity to try a more streamlined approach and in my experience this has been quite liberating Smile

I'd be traveling by MINI Cooper. I could wrap my gear in blankets, but I'd feel much safer having them in hard cases, especially when hard cases can be stacked in the back with the seats down. Stuff might bear down through blankets and... break. Shocked

I'm just paranoid about my gear. It'd be difficult to replace due to small income. Some of it isn't made any more.

I could possibly slide three synths into the back on top of whatever luggage I'd use, side by side.

Just looked at some prices. http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/keyboard-cases?N=100001+330482&Ns=P_Price|0&rpp=60

I'm now thinking about how I could make some kind of padded rack that I could put synths on, rear-panel down, in the back of my Cooper.

I'm all for streamlining, in any case.
nobody

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How much does a ticket to this cost?
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

audiodef wrote:
How much does a ticket to this cost?

not cheap I'm afraid, last year it was $325 for a 3 day pass with meals and accomodation

Page 1 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals
Jump to: