electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Clavia's Christmas present is a free G2 softsynth.
Page 1 of 2 [31 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Clavia's Christmas present is a free G2 softsynth. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heihoooh!

Free download at http://www.clavia.se/G2/demo/index.htm!

Its a demo version, with some limitations. But it makes sound!

Happy patching.

/Rob
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool! Now I can demo patches and experiment with stuff on my lunch break.

Wonder if firmware v1.26 isn't far behind (that's the rev of the soft demo)?
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmm, a virtual VA! good for patching on the train.

More fun to play with for prospective G2 owners as well.
jamos

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 41

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, man, this will be great! Perfect for off-line patching.

But what is this "demo" business? Will there be a soft-synth product as well?

Later.. well, I don't think I'll be able to use it offline, much. In trying to open existing patches, I found that 5 out of 6 won't load due to unsupported modules. Oh well - it's pretty good as a demo.

Last edited by jamos on Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jamos wrote:
But what is this "demo" business? Will there be a soft-synth product as well?

No, this is just for everyone to try out the idea of the G2, with sound.

In the accompanying text it is made very clear that Clavia will stick to only hardware as commercial products.

Still, this is great to try out ideas on the road. On my laptop I can do without the reverb. Smile

Seems to me that it is also a perfect educational tool.

And for those who consider buying a G2 it is great to try out patches and sounds. All in all a very friendly gesture.

Over here it is already noodling away happily. Very Happy
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, i'm looking forward to patching during work hours and e-mailing the patches to myself so I can use 'em at home.
to be honest, i'm really thrilled with this... i miss my G2 during the workday so much!

i'm really hopeful that an editor/firmware update is right around the corner, too! maybe it'll include some of the missing modules, like a filter bank! probably not, I know, but thought I'd throw that in there!
tranzash

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Demo Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This Demo version only for Windows Question
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Demo Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tranzash wrote:
This Demo version only for Windows :?:

Indeed !

Jan.
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

considering the moog modular softsynth has been successful both sonically and as a commercial product, it would not be a surprise to see clavia get out of the hardware business eventually and into software..perhaps this softsynth demo is the first step

with really fast PC machines these days, it is getting less valid to claim that hardware is superior to software

not making the demo available to mac users is not nice btw

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paul wrote:

not making the demo available to mac users is not nice btw
salut thumb up

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
rnp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the demo is a real cpu hog, my guess is that the code is highly unoptimised and I doubt that there's any desire on clavia's side to change that. I'm hearing 22-55% cpu usage on an athlon xp 2200+ with a gigabyte of ram from a friend (macuser myself, can't test it).

I need to highly contest the assumption that Clavia has interest in a software synthesizer product. If they had wanted to do that they could've passed on the Engine altogether and just would have invested in software development period, maybe with the G2 Keyboard as "deluxe" option. I think we would've seen a Nord Lead softsynth before that anyways but that's beside the point - who in their right mind would buy a completely software Nord Modular? Tassman is probably the closest thing to the G2 in the software domain, with Reaktor and Max being far more "complex" (whatever that is). The Nord Modular code is closely tied to the hardware and they'd be devaluating their hardware line with a software product (plus, they'd open up a can of worms with making "the" clavia sound available to legions of software pirates). Not that I'm defending the notion but I think there's a certain elitism that sells the G2 in addition to its excellent sound and features.

and merry christmas everyone =)

paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

in order for clavia to remain competitive they likely have no choice but to develop software and move away from hardware..this is true in general

and processing power is getting huge..will outstrip hardware..and for much much cheaper..in other words, it can be done in software..

the arturia moog modular is a great example of this

and i think many people who are in still in their 'right mind' would enjoy carrying a g2 or nord lead inside a powerbook

as far as clavia's 'elitism' - a sound that is available to those who have 5,000 dollars to spend does not bode well for a company's long term survival

and, in my opinion, the sound and sheer power of some of the softsynths make for some special synths..all with their own sound

and anyway, who cares what synth or logdrum one uses..as long as the music is good

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This demo version of the G2 is very good for teaching the principles of analog synthesis.

We should all be gratefull to Clavia for releasing this. I think it will go a long way towards getting new people involved with patching, even if they never end up buying a G2. I think it is a smart business decision for them as well.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wyleu

G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: THe look of a gift horse's teeth... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you trawl back through the various Modular lists, the request that Clavia has now addressed cropped up on a fairly regular basis. All praise to them !

It's their product not ours. They had the original idea's and the faith to develop them. They chose to delevop on the platforms they did and from the overall quality and reliability of the solution, They demonstrate that in most cases they listen.

I for one am happy to let them continue doing what they do and applaud them for all the excellent work they do.

If you genuiney believe that a personal computer in any form will be able to perform signal generation as effectively as external hardware then you demonstrate an alarming lack of knowledge of the tools you use.

Thanks Clavia, I for one really appreciate the neat and effective way you have presented your excellent concepts. If we were as clever and driven as you we would enjoy the pleasure of obseving the wide range of creations your tools produce, and please treat with patience the individuals who present their own misguided nuggets of thought, that you no doubt considered and dismissed many months before.

Well Done.

zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why would clavia stop developing hardware even if they went software? The software is only as good as the physical control interface used with it (using a mouse seems ridiculously limiting to me and the only MIDI controller manufacturers that seem "with it" for softsynth controllers are behringer and doepfer) ....IMHO the G2 is the best controller on the market for a soft synth. If clavia did go software, I'd want a clavia controller for that product, capable of fully utilizing the software for live use. It would be pretty much like the G2, just the DSPs are the PC instead.

With all of this in mind, I'd rather have a hardware synth like the G2 (except more capable in the future) than lugging around both a laptop and a MIDI controller(s) to get the same effect.

rnp wrote:
Tassman is probably the closest thing to the G2 in the software domain, with Reaktor and Max being far more "complex" (whatever that is).

complex means flexibility to the point of being overly tedious at times. Wink
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Indeed, software is taking over, because companies can develop software for nothing more than the cost of good engineers. No hardware lab is needed, beyond what the end-user will also see, and no manufacturing costs with expensive quality control. It's almost ideal.

However, I think windows/mac osx are NOT very efficient at handling multi-media,and it would take the proliferation of a good reaL-time OS, like BeOS or similar, to really push all musician's tools into software. Playing live on a softsynth is not predictably & reliabley accurate, and anyone who pushes their machine in anyway with even simple MIDI control has seen this. I'm not talking DJ software and other things that are completely driven from within the PC, but things that require the computer to synch to external gear. The processing power is definitely there, but the "reaction time" isn't quite yet.

With the advent of ACPI (lower latency to IRQs and DMAs) and dual processor systems (less impact from OS house-keeping), I really do think that PC's have WAY MORE power, for the cost, than is ever available to dedicated hardware. It's simply the scale of sales that allows PCs to be so cheap.

That said, it would be in Clavia's best interest, as a company, to develop control surfaces based on the G2, and release thier products as software. Change is inevitable, and once PC's are fully optimized to handle real-time things, it will happen.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
However, I think windows/mac osx are NOT very efficient at handling multi-media,and it would take the proliferation of a good reaL-time OS, like BeOS or similar, to really push all musician's tools into software.

Well, truth said, I am a bit disappointed by OS X compared to OS 9 when it comes to audio.. but then my project files are bit... well.. gigantic. When it comes to general audio editing and video.. OS X is quite good. When it comes to improvement, OS X has a lot of potential.. and in fact a lot more than XP has right now. from what I have managed to understand of some of the SDK stuff, and some tech papers at Apple.. we just might see the next two generations of the Apple hardware.. ( dual 3.5 ghz and faster and various versions of the bus designs ) matched with the 64bit version of OSX to have some interesting real time capabilities.
Hmm.. possibly offtopic, but I have been having serious fun with Cubase SX 2 and the UAD-1 card.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
huffcw

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Having the G2 as a software synth doesn't really appeal to me all that much (except as a tool to build things up without the G2 connected and be able to hear what you have created). What I would like to see Clavia do in software is update the patch editor so that it can be inserted as a VST plugin that can transmit and receive MIDI over the USB connection. That way I can use my G2 to control things inside my computer and receive MIDI from a software sequencer without having to have a separate MIDI interface connected to my computer. That would streamline things a little bit and would be a great addition. If they could also find a way to use the USB for 2-channel audio in/out - that would be really awesome - but I would be happy with just MIDI in/out.
huffcw

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually - it wouldn't even require that MIDI be transmitted over USB - if they could program the editor program to transmit and receive MIDI from within the computer, then the same communication between the G2 and editor that already exists would be all that is required. The editor program would translate into MIDI inside the computer - as well as the output back to the G2. It seems like it may be relatively simply - since the USB driver would not need to be modified - just the editor program - am I missing something?

The audio thing is obviously harder - but they still may want to look into it considering the new Access Virus and all it can do (Midi, audio, etc.) - of course, they can't really compete with the awesome hardware interface of the G2!
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think that Clavia may have also released this for sound commercial reasons. If they make it available FOC then others are less likely to try making a quick buck with a G2V.
As for Windows only, perhaps the core is simply a third party hardware emulation layer.
These things tend to be produced only for the dominant platform.
Does anyone know how G2 sales are going? If you have bought one recently, what is the serial number?
rnp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paul wrote:
and i think many people who are in still in their 'right mind' would enjoy carrying a g2 or nord lead inside a powerbook

as far as clavia's 'elitism' - a sound that is available to those who have 5,000 dollars to spend does not bode well for a company's long term survival

and, in my opinion, the sound and sheer power of some of the softsynths make for some special synths..all with their own sound

and anyway, who cares what synth or logdrum one uses..as long as the music is good

heya paul! the point I wanted to make was that as standalone hardware the G2 is unique, if I want a software system I have Super Collider, Max/Msp and other options, all with a higher degree of abstraction and more flexibility. so I definitely wouldn't be interested in a G2 software since I already have been using "modular" sound creation software for years, there's nothing unique or original about the concept. I think Clavia understands that too. and yet another hardware emulation, of a VA nonetheless? u-he Zebra and other cool original softsynths are way more fun and innovative. I definitely agree that there's awesome software out there and I'm using it more often than some of my hardware. I'm no luddite and I don't dream of a Buchla at night but I can understand people who do. Smile

zynthetix wrote:
complex means flexibility to the point of being overly tedious at times

yup, exactly. not to mention that things like recalling patches can freeze your computer in a liveset or bugfixes that make it impossible to use.

grimley

G2 patch files: 9

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's a lot of negativity regarding this new software over on the HarmonyCentral forums and speculation regarding future software releases from Clavia. From reading some of those comments I'm afraid Clavia may loose potential customers as they are now holding out for a software only G2. Their website should make it clear whether or not they intend to do this in the near future.
Frankly, the beauty of the G2 to me is the interface, the audio ins and midi outs and the non-host DSP. The limitations this freebie software imposes, not to mention the fact that it can't easily be integrated within a host, severely neuter it as to make it irrelevant when compared to the many soft-synths out there.
Rob

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

grimley wrote:
There's a lot of negativity regarding this new software over on the HarmonyCentral forums and speculation regarding future software releases from Clavia. From reading some of those comments I'm afraid Clavia may loose potential customers as they are now holding out for a software only G2. Their website should make it clear whether or not they intend to do this in the near future.
Frankly, the beauty of the G2 to me is the interface, the audio ins and midi outs and the non-host DSP. The limitations this freebie software imposes, not to mention the fact that it can't easily be integrated within a host, severely neuter it as to make it irrelevant when compared to the many soft-synths out there.

You can be sure that there is definitively no commercial G2 software to be expected. This G2 demo software is exactly as described, a free demo. There are many reasons why Clavia will not go into the software market, and these are no secrets. Whayt they will tell you on every NAMM or Frankfurter Messe is that Clavia is a hardware only company.

My guess is that Clavia would rather revert to their Electro/DDrum line than start to make software only products, if the G2 line wouldn't make them a profit. But as word goes that every G2 that is produced is also sold immediately, there is little reason to worry. The reason why they can put out something for free is definitely because they do well enough with their hardware to afford such a present.

So, these people totally misinterpreted this Christmas gesture.

/Rob
fadeddata

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Serial Number Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just bought it from SweetWater Sound on the 23rd got it overnight and have been driving my neighbors crazy ever since. Oh yeah and the the serial number is MD10580. I would never buy the soft synth I love this hardware. I might buy a controller though that would allow it to control other things without making a "MIDI Patch".

-dustin
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome fadeddata

Congratulations... Enjoy your new instrument.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 2 [31 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: