electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Tips on S&H Lunetta?
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
egasimus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Tips on S&H Lunetta? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all. Not sure if it classifies as a Lunetta, but I want to make a simple box which produces a sound similar to the intro to this:

I know it's digital, I think it's an ESQ-1, but can I get close to that sound in the (simple) analog domain? I guess I'd need an oscillator (what waveform does this sound like to you?), a filter (bandpass, if I'm not wrong), make those voltage controllable - and I'll need two simple LF398 S&H circuits for the CV. If I'm on the right track, then I'll be looking for the most simple and compact VCO and BPVCF - there's no need for accurate tracking in my case after all.

Thanks in advance for any help. I've been reading articles across the net, but I'm still quite new, and could use a few pointers.
tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome egasimus,

Cool sample and it will be a nice challenge to replecate that sound. But what kind of experience do you have? Saying you need a BPVCF is something else from actually building one. If you are totally new to this I would suggest to start with experimenting, it's very hard to make a specific sound.

That sound does resemble a squareish wave and that makes it lunetta territory. I have listen to it a couple of times now and I think it is some sort of fast square or pulsewave with a little reverb. To make the alternating tones you will probably need a simple sequencer, search the forum for the 4017 baby 10 sequencer.

noise
egasimus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the reply Smile

Well, I can follow a schematic Very Happy Never had the incentive to delve deeper and actually understand most stuff, but I learn quickly. Besides, I'm only 18 and intend to study electronics. I mostly build guitar effects for myself, and have some understanding in the digital domain, too, but have only recently started reading up on DIY synth building as something really worth my while.

I would like to build something like this, and maybe a drone box, to spice up the sound of my (new wave) band. I'm from Bulgaria, and it's kinda funny and sad at the same time that in the last 20 years, nobody has used that sort of sounds here - not in popular music, not in the underground. Avantgarde music here mostly died after the lead singer of Nova Generacia passed away. There's been a revival in recent years, but most bands here are happy playing the same unoriginal hard rock and heavy metal covers. Hell, I play bass for one, too Laughing

Anyway, about the synth. I replicated a vaguely similar sound in a VST called TAL-Elek7ro-II. What I did was set the two LFOs to S&H mode and route one to the VCO frequency and the other to the VCF in low pass mode, with the rates and intensities somewhat different, and the VCO resonance cranked up a little. I'd say 60% similar Smile So your suggestion is that I made the alternating tones with a sequencer, instead of a S&H controlled VCO? Fair enough. Idea: two identical seqs running in parallel with slightly different clock rates. Opens up a lot of randomization possibilities: randomly alternating between both, or one seq resetting the other. Could do Smile

What about the character of the sound, though? It's chaotic and at the same time tame. Am I on the right track about the bandpass?

Last edited by egasimus on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome aboard Very Happy . Dive right in and have fun - that's the best advice I can give. Searching for 'that' sound is part of the fun/frustration of DIY right? I've spent many an evening coming up with a decent autowah circuit that was easy to put together and not elusive to set up in my lunetta. I'm almost there... Laughing !

Here's a schematic I believe I found on this site a while back; I haven't tested it out yet - I have too many other projects taking up my time currently.

bandpassfiltervc.png
 Description:
Be a madman and experiment, blow up some parts, dust yourself off, and repeat.
 Filesize:  30.33 KB
 Viewed:  199 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

bandpassfiltervc.png

egasimus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, that's one thing I was looking for. Will try it out as soon as I can - I have an enormous backlog of stuff, too Smile

By the way, there's more of that sound starting at 3:44. Does it sound kinda like ring mod to you?
Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To my ears, it's ring mod with some other effect like a low pass filter.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: