electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
Midi Integrator 1.0 released - extends midi setup for free
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
MusicScienceGuy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject:  Midi Integrator 1.0 released - extends midi setup for free
Subject description: New midi-utility concept: table-driven midi integration, all pc input midified, easy mixing
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Introducing a radical new midi-utility concept: table-driven midi integration software for faster, flexible instrument building. All inputs on a PC can become midi inputs, as needed, with easy reconfiguration.

Midi Integrator 1.0 is fully tested and works as soon as unzipped on Win/Mac systems.

The online description can be found here: http://www.altkeyboards.com/integrator and you can download the Max/MSP source, executable and manual here: http://www.altkeyboards.com/file-cabinet. Midi Integrator is copyrighted and released under GPL3.

A few highlights of Integrator:

· Adds sustain, pitch-bend and modulation controls, via one or more touch-pads or a mouse, to any midi system with a Win/Mac PC .

· Can trigger any note, control command, pitch-bend, or preset action at the touch of a key;

- Converts your PC-keyboard into an auxiliary midi-input controller and keyboard.

· Works especially well with 2-dimensional instruments like the Axis-49 and -64.

· Enables features that are normally considered “high-end”, such as keyboard splitting (parts of a keyboard playing other instrumental sounds), key-modulation or octave-shifting at the touch of an assigned key.

· Extensible with a Max/MSP development system. For example, it can be made fully micro-tonal.

I discovered the need for a midi integration system when building my then-experimental jammer keyboard. I found that programming key-reassignment was an absolute pain, and so I made the configuration table-driven. This proved to be very significantly faster and much more convenient.

Then, I envisioned a host of features to push a midi system well beyond the ordinary: multiple-sustain controls, mouse-controlled pitch bend, key-modulation, and more. I guessed that with a little bit of extra work I could create a system useful to many, and so I put sustained effort into creating a package that could be easily customized according to your needs. I also created a variety of annotated configuration tables to help get started.

Well, the "little bit of work" turned out to be a "fair bit of work", so I hope many musicians and developers find my system useful. If you think Midi Integrator has merit, please post about it!

MusicScienceGuy Cool

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That looks very interesting, I will have a look at it over the weekend.
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool!

I have experimented a bit with HIDs in ChucK (mainly multiple mice), and a critical stumbling block for me was that i couldn't block the HIDs from interacting with the computer besides controlling e.g. a synth. So if I moved a mouse to change a parameter, it also moved the mouse pointer on the screen on my Mac. If I pressed a key on a keyboard, it typed something on the computer.

Is this something that your software can solve?

/Stefan

MusicScienceGuy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
I have experimented a bit with HIDs in ChucK (mainly multiple mice), and a critical stumbling block for me was that i couldn't block the HIDs from interacting with the computer besides controlling e.g. a synth. So if I moved a mouse to change a parameter, it also moved the mouse pointer on the screen on my Mac. If I pressed a key on a keyboard, it typed something on the computer.
/Stefan

I've partly addressed this - for security reasons windows won't allow the mouse or the keyboard to be completely intercepted.
What I do is full-screen the program and run it stand-alone on a netbook that has been customized to run music - it won't go to sleep, anything that causes interrupts has been removed. I usually start it up, and close the lid.
I've also seen hints that on Macs that a second pointing device, a touchpad, can be assigned to be a HID, and hence feed midi modulation alone. Others will have to test this.
I've documented what internal routines in windows to turn off to turn off - I find that HP netbooks work well with ASIO drivers.
Does this answer your question?
Ken Rushton Cool

Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
Jump to: