electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
Gate/Trigger Sequencer help
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
simon_w

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Gate/Trigger Sequencer help Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,
Need some help with converting the gate output of my sequencer to short pulses/triggers. The design is basically a baby 10 sequencer - i.e. a 555 timer, with a 4017 decade counter cycling through a series of gates.
I thought this would simply be a case of taking the clock impulse and the gate signal and putting them both through an AND gate.
However, there is a slight delay between the rising clock edge and one gate changing to the next. So a spike occurs at the point when the gate is still on, as the next clock signal rises.
The attached diagram should show what (i think) is going on.
Can anyone suggest a way to remove the spike? Or a better way to compare the two signals?

CLOCK_GATE.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.77 KB
 Viewed:  332 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

CLOCK_GATE.png

Bogus Noise

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know if you solved this already, or put it to one side for a while, but posting this answer for the purposes of helping out other people searching for the same problem. Smile

I'm just coming to the end (hopefully) of building a similar project which had a similar problem. I found the 555 isn't the best clock oscillator to use with the AND gate method. Lots of other chips will work much better than the 555 but I used a 4011, and still get the separated gates even when you're into the audio rate range.

You will also need to use 4 AND gates, to handle the very slight delay that the 4017 imparts. This schematic designed by someone else on here works great!

http://synthforum.nl/forums/showthread.php?p=1141314#post1141314
Mongo1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Another approach Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We used to run into this thing very often when I designed hardware for high speed digital systems.

In cases like that, the answer is generally to get a flip-flop, run the glitchy signal into the 'D', and use the inverted version of the clock to clock the flip flop. That way those spurious pulses can't make it through.

The penalty is of course that you delay the output by 1/2 clock time - but it generally works very well.

Gary
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
Jump to: