electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
A Virtual Audio World
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: A Virtual Audio World
Subject description: Under Development
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have decided to create a ChucK-based Virtual Audio World.

My computer will be the first place located in this VAW.

I received permission from Blue Hell (Jan) to use the public channels of the electro-music radio station as the internet audio transmit component of this world.

I will set up instances of VLC to receive the public channels and merge them into ChucK, then rebroadcast the mixed audio on one of the public channels. I will use the chuckchat program as the initial basis for this audio world since it has chat capability.

This thread will be the focal point for discussion about the virtual world and will contain links to electro-music posts that tell you about streaming, chuckchat, and other related information.

I welcome you to join in and participate in this experiment. It has great potential if we develop it properly.

Thanks for your participation,

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, I have set up the first place in the VAW on my Mac mini. It listens to public_2 and public_3 and broadcasts on public_1. In addition there is an instance of chuckchat running, providing us with music and chat. To connect to the VAW, please see the following post:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-41570.html

Unless interrupted for some reason, I will leave the VAW up and running for the rest of the weekend (it's saturday 5-28-2-11 right now) and possibly longer. Please note that in order for me to let you into the VAW, once you have connected to either public_2 or public_3 and are listening on public_1, you must tell me to connect you. It is a manual connect on my end for now.

Please visit the electro-music chatroom to communicate with me, I will attempt to monitor it for the remainder of the weekend unless sleeping.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So what can we do in this virtual audio world? Well we have both audio and text (chat) communication. We can also control each other's music as well as our own, and we can use a 3D air mouse (the Gyration Air Mouse Elite or similar) to change the music.

We can also set up different places to go and establish bridges between those places if desired. We can play our music into the audio world for others to hear, including recordings, instruments, vocals, and of course computer generated audio from programs like ChucK. Just be sure not to play any copyrighted material because that's a major no-no on radio.electro-music.com and would result in you getting banned at least temporarily. If I hear Led Zeppelin, I hit the off switch on your channel, naturally. That's important to know.

Another thing is that we have a mix of client-only and client-server applications running. Chuckchat is client only, so there is no server required. That has interesting implications regarding big brother, little brother, and moral / ethical / legal aspects. Overall, however, I feel that a serverless system is a good thing to have. The audio, however is server based.

It is also important to note that unlike the irc chat system, there is no specific chatroom. Your client broadcasts to and receives from your particular friends.txt file containing ip addresses and nicknames associated with each ip address. However, someone else on your list is likely to have a completely different set of ip addresses. I'm not really sure what that will eventually mean, but it's at least something different and interesting.

The audio at the moment has a delay to it, so you hear what someone said or played about 20 seconds ago. This means that the communication is not very conversational. However this need not be the case in the future or it may exist in part in different areas of the VAW.

For example, I can have a Skype conversation with very little latency, then use soundflower or Jack to audio route the Skype conversation into my VAW place on my Mac mini. The people in the Skype conversation can freely converse with low latency, however those on the public channels of electro-music or other streams would hear or speak into that conversation with delay. What that will create might be pandemonium, lol, or it might be kind of interesting.

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The mention of Skype and audio routing in the previous post, combined with the currently operating VAW place on my Mac which is stream and chuckchat based, brings up another concept. That is the notion that a VAW place is an assembly of software pieces that you bolt together on your computer. You might not want to use ChucK at all or even have chat. You might want to use the telephone with a bluetooth headset as your VAW client and connect that to to VAW places by dialing telephone numbers. Your VAW place on your PC might have ninjam or Skype or whatever.

So how you set up your VAW and what services you make available publicly and privately for free or for pay is entirely up to you. You might even establish an audio link into other Virtual Worlds such as World of Warcraft or Second Life, or other chat interfaces like IRC servers or video servers. Basically it's total random chaos and you are the creator of your little piece of the VAW.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have added Skype to my VAW place. If you open a skype call with me, your audio will broadcast on the VAW automatically due to the audio routing capability of soundflower (I should add Jack as well).

Also I have realized that chuckchat is not the basis of the VAW. It's the bridges. Of course, the web itself is, um, kind of important too but given that it exists, the key enabling factor is the ability to route information such as audio, text, or video from one application to another.

For the moment that means soundflower and Jack. It also means that the VAW will exist primairly on Linux and Mac computers because there is no good audio routing solution for the Windows operating system (to my knowledge). I must confess a certain guilty pleasure at that notion because Microsoft has been the bane of my existence in the past, but let's not get into that. Hopefully someday Microsoft will see the light and provide audio routing capability for their users.

Also I am wondering about AppleTalk as a VAW bridge component. I'd like to hear from someone with a better understanding of AppleTalk regarding the possibility of routing media / information via Appletalk.

Les

Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Jump to: