electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Correction: I'm *not* making TR-808 Voice Boards...
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 8 of 10 [247 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next

How would you like the 808 voices to be arranged?
Two pcbs with six voices each.
28%
 28%  [ 15 ]
Three pcbs with four voices each.
21%
 21%  [ 11 ]
Individual pcbs with one voice each.
50%
 50%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 52

effegee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:
Give him a chance to fix all of this.

+1
jaidee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just to note, for the benefit of those who have lost the will to check, that Doug has recently updated the eight-oh-eight website - with his latest round of personal mishaps (arthroscopic knee surgery and a flood in his workshop), but also with some rather more MB808-relevant info (he is substituting an LCD in the kit for the 4558 op amps).

Since the demise of the MB808 forum (hard to forgive Doug for this - it was an active, friendly forum with a mass of knowledge and expertise available to builders), and Doug's deparure from the MidiBox and Muffwiggler forums, this seems to be the only remaining thread where at least a handful of prospective builders are still actively posting. Hopefully the thread can be maintained as some sort of focal point for MB808 activity if/when the kits finally come out...
infindebula

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree there should be a place where those of us building the thing can share info and support each other. Unless Doug puts up some kind of forum, I would actually suggest we ask the mods at the MIDIbox board to add a forum for MB-808. I seem to remember that somebody has already volunteered to do that.

The forum could also make be a nice place for other builders of the MIDIbox sequencer that powers this project (which is also awesome as a standalone drum sequencer, complete with MIDI and analog trigger outputs)
jojjelito

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

infindebula wrote:
I agree there should be a place where those of us building the thing can share info and support each other. Unless Doug puts up some kind of forum, I would actually suggest we ask the mods at the MIDIbox board to add a forum for MB-808. I seem to remember that somebody has already volunteered to do that.

The forum could also make be a nice place for other builders of the MIDIbox sequencer that powers this project (which is also awesome as a standalone drum sequencer, complete with MIDI and analog trigger outputs)

Agree 100%! There needs to be some other repository of info that can't be taken offline on a whim.

Looking at the grief-stricken eight-oh-eight site, the pattern repeats itself: Some crisis of medical nature then very quiet on the update front. Life offers all kinds of events, but the complete lack of updates plus the closing of the forum makes it hard to remain patient. There's no chance anything will materialize before Easter, wonder if this even makes it until Summer?
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's a shame such a worthy project has been handled with such incompetency and disrespect towards the many who supported it. I'm not sure what the answer is. Legal action? He needs to be made accountable for his actions or lack of them. I do believe he has sought refuge in the electro-music chat room. Maybe hitting him up there is an option. You'll probably only get a long list of excuses.

No Doug. I'm not on your list, but I'm sure you are on other peoples lists. Laughing How about pulling your finger out and facing up to responsibility for once? Wink
bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
It's a shame such a worthy project has been handled with such incompetency and disrespect towards the many who supported it. I'm not sure what the answer is. Legal action? He needs to be made accountable for his actions or lack of them. I do believe he has sought refuge in the electro-music chat room. Maybe hitting him up there is an option. You'll probably only get a long list of excuses.

No Doug. I'm not on your list, but I'm sure you are on other peoples lists. Laughing How about pulling your finger out and facing up to responsibility for once? Wink

its better to know the whole story before you start trash talking people.... this is infantile.

-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Infantile? Seems to describe Doug's behaviour. Perhaps you can elucidate? I'm sure there are some fragments of 'the whole story' we haven't heard yet.
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Doug already made it clear he's tired of the abuse (deserved or not) and is not going to be reading your comments.

I'm not going to take a side on this one, but I do agree with bubzy insofar as there is no point in trash talking here. If people want to use it as a build forum or to ask each other if there's any news, that's great, but the trash talk is tired and done. I think everyone has made up their mind whether or not Doug is acting in good faith or not, and there's no point to rehash the grievances yet again.
effegee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Message removed.
pix

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's interesting to find this thread here. I've been having an issue with Doug for years now, not regarding the MB808 boards but about a Waldorf microwave he said he'd fix for me and a x0xb0x that we would assemble.

He seemed legit and a nice guy, had good cred on the forums and I just shipped them both units he said he'd take care of them in a couple of weeks. He actually told me that he had fixed the Waldorf by replacing the psu and was just waiting to finish the x0xb0x to send it back...

To make a long story short my best guess right now is that Doug is a compulsive liar. I've lost count of the amount of times he told me he'd ship things next "Monday".

At a certain point I told him that if he had had problems and couldn't send things back at all I'd be ok with it if he actually told me the truth. In the beginning I actually believed his stories about his misfortunes, but tbh after all this time I think it's all BS. I keep the faith he'll prove me wrong at some point but I'm probably just being naive.

Thought you guys should know about this. it's not just about the 808 project. There a behavioral pattern here...

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It does make me wonder why some people manage to get themselves in such a situation, and yet the majority of people don't. Sad
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
It does make me wonder why some people manage to get themselves in such a situation, and yet the majority of people don't. Sad

"When you're up to your ass in alligators, it is difficult to remember that the main objective was to drain the swamp."

The problem isn't a project getting into trouble. Nor is it that the project owner ran into a number of difficulties, most of which I believe. There have been a number of projects that have had these problems. However, there should always have been an alternative path; even if it was just to open the project up, or take on a partner or three, or hand the whole thing over to someone else, for that matter.

We are pretty fierce about retaining information here so if a proper build thread starts up we can make sure it is of benefit to the community, and it will be preserved. Slagging Doug isn't even cathartic anymore, so I'm not sure how much value there is in it.

Home,My Studio,and another view
elmegil

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:

We are pretty fierce about retaining information here so if a proper build thread starts up we can make sure it is of benefit to the community, and it will be preserved. Slagging Doug isn't even cathartic anymore, so I'm not sure how much value there is in it.

This, exactly.
pix

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, I apologize for bringing my laundry here but I think this is something that people should be aware of. I also had Doug in very high regard some years ago (this all started 6 years ago).

I don't want to get into details but Doug currently has a waldorf microwave and a x0xb0x kit that belong to me. Throughout the years I've lost count of how many times he said he'd ship them back to me. Every time there was some sort of huge drama going on in his life, either health or family related. He'd always say that he had everything in a box and would ship next Monday... then he'd go out of radar for months.

As I said I always regarded Doug as a nice guy so in the beginning I actually believed his stories. Shit happens to everyone and I can totally understand that. However, we're talking years here. Man, if I was owing something like this to someone I'd take a day off to get it done. How much time does it take to package a synth and drop it at USPS on a Saturday morning? I mean...come on!

Now what really pissed me off was finding a post from Doug here on this same forum saying that he has 3 unassembled x0xb0x kits in his "backlog". Check it for yourself.

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-20783-100.html

I mean, did he forget that one of these is mine? how can someone behave like this is beyond me. Of course I sent Doug a PM here but I'm still waiting for his reply.

again, I'm not going to post anymore about this but I think it's useful for folks here to know that there is more sketchy stuff going on besides the 808 project.

Dougster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are two sides to every story...

pix wrote:
I don't want to get into details but Doug currently has a waldorf microwave and a x0xb0x kit that belong to me.

YES, I DO INDEED HAVE YOUR X0XB0X AND MICROWAVE!

Rui! Man, I wondered where you had gone. Didn't you get my invoice for the parts??? I had knocked off the cost of labor for both the assembly of the x0x and the repair of the Microwave, but I still wanted to be paid for the x0xi0 kit and the replacement parts for the Waldorf. Tell you what, I want to get this stuff out of here, so don't pay the invoice, I'll just remove the x0xi0 and the replacement CEM chips and ship everything to you by next Monday. You can have the US power supply and the replacement regulators and other parts that I used in the Microwave. The x0xb0x will be fully operational, and you'll just have to get some Curtis chips and install them in the Microwave (it's easy, they're in sockets) and everything should be good.

Since this is already public, I'll post here again when I have a tracking number for you.

Quote:
Now what really pissed me off was finding a post from Doug here on this same forum saying that he has 3 unassembled x0xb0x kits in his "backlog". Check it for yourself.

I mean, did he forget that one of these is mine?

Actually, that is not correct, all three of those are indeed mine... Wink And, sadly, they are still not assembled. Crying or Very sad

Regards,
Doug

Every DIY person should own a copy of Electronotes: http://electronotes.netfirms.com

Blue LEDs are evil.
pix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi Doug,

I'm really glad to see you here. No, I have never received an invoice from you and you never told me anything about problems with the CEM chips. You actually told me that all it took was replacing the PSU, but this was back in 2007 so my memory may be a bit rusty here. What exactly is the problem with the chips?

Regarding the x0xb0x anything will do at this point. If you want to send me an unassembled kit I'm good with that as well.

One thing for certain is that I'll pay for any parts/labor costs, but I'll only do this after I receive things back - I hope you understand this.

I'll email you my address, can you please PM me your current email address?

Rui

pix

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dougster wrote:
There are two sides to every story...

pix wrote:
I don't want to get into details but Doug currently has a waldorf microwave and a x0xb0x kit that belong to me.

YES, I DO INDEED HAVE YOUR X0XB0X AND MICROWAVE!

Rui! Man, I wondered where you had gone. Didn't you get my invoice for the parts??? I had knocked off the cost of labor for both the assembly of the x0x and the repair of the Microwave, but I still wanted to be paid for the x0xi0 kit and the replacement parts for the Waldorf. Tell you what, I want to get this stuff out of here, so don't pay the invoice, I'll just remove the x0xi0 and the replacement CEM chips and ship everything to you by next Monday. You can have the US power supply and the replacement regulators and other parts that I used in the Microwave. The x0xb0x will be fully operational, and you'll just have to get some Curtis chips and install them in the Microwave (it's easy, they're in sockets) and everything should be good.

Since this is already public, I'll post here again when I have a tracking number for you.

Quote:

I mean, did he forget that one of these is mine?

Actually, that is not correct, all three of those are indeed mine... Wink And, sadly, they are still not assembled. Crying or Very sad

Regards,
Doug

Doug,

Did you receive my PM with my new address? I haven't heard back from since you posted here!

Rui

pix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, just for the record, "next Monday" was yesterday and I haven't heard back from Doug again...no PMs, no emails, zip.
pix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another week has gone by and still no Doug...surreal
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pix wrote:
Another week has gone by and still no Doug...surreal

Sad feel for you pix, hopefully there will be a good result eventually
pix

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, I don't know what to think anymore. Still no word from Doug...it's almost unbelievable.

This is the exact same pattern as before. Comes out with great excuses and sounding legit, and then disappears for months.

I thought this time he'd make things right because of what's going on with the 808 project, but apparently I have to wait another year to get another email/msg from him.

Doug, if you're reading this... wtf?

MK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For me, the only logical explanation for this behavior is that we all have been scammed by Doug.To prove the opposite Doug better start to give some insights on how he has spend our $ 10,000. Hint: show some pictures of the new PCB's and components that are waiting to be delivered. Give a realistic schedule of what to expect this year and don't collect another $ 10,000 before there is a working proto build and tested by an independant builder.

In case this this is all too much for Doug I think it's better that Doug ships whatever parts/pcb's he has collected and outsources the remaining effort to the people that he owns $ 10,000.
elmegil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We're in a loop here.

I've seen him post photos of some portion of the stuff; I wouldn't say it was definitively $10,000 worth, but there's that.

The solution of just shipping what you have has also been proposed in this thread and elsewhere repeatedly. One more time seems unlikely to shift Doug's behavior.

It sucks. I can't help but agree that your proposition, that y'all have been scammed in some fashion, seems to be the best fit for the facts.

But rehashing and re-re-hashing isn't going to resolve anything. Only Doug can, and all that can be done is wait and see, or give up and assume it's done (with whatever action comes along with that, be it write off or legal action).
LFLab

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not sure about purposely scammed, but Doug certainly bit off more than he can chew, and is unfortunately too hardheaded to admit/ resolve the situation.
"Unfavourable combination of character traits", I guess scratch

Good luck all.
Rarrison

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Certainly a lot here that doesn't add up.

I've requested refunds via email three or four times with no reply. I'm concerned at this point about sending any more money even if he says things are ready to ship.

It seems Doug is self employed, so I don't get the "work obligations" he's used for excuses over the years.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/dougwellington

He's listed a phone number here from one of his businesses too if anyone feels like trying that route:

http://www.synthpanels.com/about.html

Doug Wellington
PO Box 36022
Tucson, AZ 85740
USA

(520) 977-4628
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 8 of 10 [247 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: