electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Atari Punk Console + 4 step Baby sequencer
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
aseawolf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject:  Atari Punk Console + 4 step Baby sequencer Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HI . I made ​​an atari punk console with a 556 IC and I had in mind to
connect it to a 4 step sequencer, using a IC 4017 and a NE555. I found
schemes on the internet but it does not seem to work. Someone is able to
give me some advice on how to link the 2 circuits?
[img] http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/PressRoom/Recipe3Fig1.jpg [/img]
[img] http://www.scottmetoyer.com/images/CHASER1.GIF [/img]
[img] http://note.monoanimal.com/images/apccircuit_2.jpg [/img]

. The result that I want is + or - this
[url] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM3bqh_ReYQ [/url]
and a useful link to build the sequencer is this [img] http://www.midiwall.com/gear/babyseq/ [/img] but is not clear to me the 556's pin to connect the CV OUT(of the last image) ... I read somewhere pin 11- or 2 but do not seem to work Confused . Thanks
inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the control pin on the 556 is where the CV goes, so pins 3 and 11. wire each 4017 output through a pot, and then sum the output voltages and send to the CV pins. You should check out HexInvertor's Simple Seq project on the forum here.
You can also look up datasheets very easily.

aseawolf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So the pins are the control ones 3 & 11 .Shoud i put diodes 1N4148 as in the image [img] http://note.monoanimal.com/images/apccircuit_2.jpg [/img].Would you like to give me a link for:"HexInvertor's Simple Seq project"I can't find it .Thanks
umschmitt

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello & welcome ! You'll find it here :
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-49287.html
(ok his name's HexInverter…)

aseawolf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Very Happy
umschmitt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

De nada. As explained on the sketch you provided, you should connect the output of the sequencer to pin 2 of the 556 (for pitch control) - and/or pin 12 (for pulse width control, whatever it could lead to, hopefully fun). On the APC I built, I let the control pins unconnected.
And yes, you need to use diodes as shown, to make each step's tension independent from the others'…

aseawolf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gracias.So pin 2 for pitch pin 12 for pulse and control pin disconnected
aseawolf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Should I connect the potentiometers in this way?

pot.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  79 KB
 Viewed:  645 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

pot.jpg

umschmitt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Concerning pots and diodes, it looks fine to me. Your LED resistors seem way too huge to let them glow. I'd say they should be in the zone around 4k7-10K if you run it from 9 volts (babyseq schem says 18k !) but it depends greatly of the actual LEDs you use !
(and don't forget to try the seq output on pin 12 on the 556 for octave madness !)

aseawolf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't care about the leds I'm not using it with those resistors.Anyway I've connected pots and diodes using that layout and I've connected all to pin 2 of the 556 (as I wrote in the image)and it isn't working.It doesn't change pitch Sad.Now i will try with pin 12.
umschmitt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did I really write pin 2 ? Oh my ! Sincere apologizes ! Err I meant err… pin 1. My mistake. I was actually doing mental gymnastics between the 556, my double 555 circuit and respective datasheets… (and at one point I followed monoanimal's drawing)
So pin 1. I'm far from a genius with those electronic things, but I'll stay connected here for a while tonight, so if you're working on your APC please post your results & questions, if I can help without mistakes, who knows…
(yeah and just one resistor between all LEDs' cathodes and ground is Ok, but first get it to work !)

aseawolf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK OK It is pin 1 Smile thanks I was so sad it wasn't working. On pin 12 it works greatly on pulse .Last question . Can i use the same pot for the two pins 12 and 1 or it won't work.Thanks
umschmitt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great news ! I'm glad it works ! Now let the fun begin !
So you mean feeding both inputs with the sequencer ? Just connecting things as is, I fear that there would be interaction between the two timers inside the 556. It's not like there is a risk of breaking something expensive here, so try it ! (and I don't think you'll break anything, to be honest) I'm curious to know what would be the result. Maybe a bit of chaos… Otherwise, with two diodes placed at the 1 & 12 inputs, it should work.
(further experiment : try to feed pin 4 (reset) with LOUD signal. Brutal hardsync here. But remember that reset at 0v means silence at output ! I think the APC works with that pin unconnected. Mine works, that is. Oh and you can apply the same to pin 10 of course !)

punkconsole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Wiring the Atari punk console to the sequencer
Subject description: APC + sequencer
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

inlifeindeath wrote:
the control pin on the 556 is where the CV goes, so pins 3 and 11. wire each 4017 output through a pot, and then sum the output voltages and send to the CV pins. You should check out HexInvertor's Simple Seq project on the forum here.
You can also look up datasheets very easily.

Hello, i do have the same problem.I wanto to connect a sequencer to an Apc.I'm trying as described below but I can't.I'm connecting the output of the sequencer to CV of the 556.Should I connect the Vin of the Atari punk console( I mean the circuit must be ON?) If you want I can upload a picture.
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome party!

Are you powering both circuits from the same supply ? If not you will also have to attach the GND connections together.
A picture could be helpful.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
punkconsole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
welcome party!

Are you powering both circuits from the same supply ? If not you will also have to attach the GND connections together.

Yes I do connect both with the same power supply and both work .In few minutes I m going to upload a picture.Thank you
punkconsole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

punkconsole wrote:
PHOBoS wrote:
welcome party!

Yes I do connect both with the same power supply and both work .In few minutes I m going to upload a picture.Thank you

Hope the pictures are helpful

of course I am happy to be part of this forum Very Happy

seq.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  462.99 KB
 Viewed:  251 Time(s)

seq.png

apc.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  699.62 KB
 Viewed:  220 Time(s)

apc.png

connected.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.96 MB
 Viewed:  231 Time(s)

connected.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

from what I can tell it looks ok.
Is there anything else connected to pins 3 and/or 11 on the APC ?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
punkconsole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: 3& 11 of ne556 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No.3and11 are completely free.I am not sure about the diodes I am using.Could it affect the results?
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The diodes shouldn't be a poblem (and are needed) unless you used zener diodes.

Lets focus on the APC first to see if it can actually do something with a CV. So leave the sequencer out for now and connect
the two outside pins of a potentiometer to your powersupply (+/GND) and the middle pin to pin 3 or 11 of the APC. Try if
it has any effect if you turn the potentiometer.

edit: just looked at some schematics and it seems that in some cases the discharge pins are used (which doesn't really
make much sense to me) or the treshold pins, which makes some sense. So you could try connecting it to pins 2 or 12,
which is also mentioned earlier in the thread.

punkconsole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
The diodes shouldn't be a poblem (and are needed) unless you used zener diodes.

Lets focus on the APC first to see if it can actually do something with a CV. So leave the sequencer out for now and connect
the two outside pins of a potentiometer to your powersupply (+/GND) and the middle pin to pin 3 or 11 of the APC. Try if
it has any effect if you turn the potentiometer.

edit: just looked at some schematics and it seems that in some cases the discharge pins are used (which doesn't really
make much sense to me) or the treshold pins, which makes some sense. So you could try connecting it to pins 2 or 12,
which is also mentioned earlier in the thread.

So I have connected the 2 outside pins of a pot to + and - and the middle pin to 3 and 11 .When I use that pot it does the same sound that the atari punk console does when I use one of the 3 built in pot( it changes the tone)
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, that's good I think Very Happy
I would use either pin 3 or 11, but both works too and you could add a switch for it (or make 2 sequencers).
So, with the sequencer you don't get the same effect ?
Do you have an oscilloscope or at least a volt-meter to test the output of the sequencer ?

punkconsole

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
I would use either pin 3 or 11, but both works too and you could add a switch for it (or make 2 sequencers).
Do you have an oscilloscope or at least a volt-meter to test the output of the sequencer ?

No sir I do not have an oscilloscope but I have a voltmeter.No with the sequencer I do not have any effect.So if I am understanding ...is it possible that the output of the sequencer is too low?Thank you
punkconsole

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

punkconsole wrote:
PHOBoS wrote:

No sir I do not have an oscilloscope but I have a voltmeter.No with the sequencer I do not have any effect.So if I am understanding ...is it possible that the output of the sequencer is too low?Thank you

So my input is 9V.The output is 3V
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oops,. my apologies for leaving you hanging there.

Assuming it is the maximum voltage you get out of it 3V is rather low. Is that without the APC connected ?
If you measure the output of the sequencer after the diodes you might need to add a resistor to GND for
proper measurement btw. I wonder if the LEDs might be limiting the voltage somehow. What's the voltage
you get directly out of the 4017 ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: