electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
2012 Build Pictures
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 10 of 16 [384 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 Next
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found a weird shaped surround sound speaker, stripped the cloth covering, and spray painted it. The crackling was accidental, but I decided I liked it so I didn't strip it and start over. I've tried to find more of this model speaker, but they can't seem to be found. In fact there was only this one at the thrift where I found it....
bod

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good find! At least you know it's unique Smile
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there
Finished a mfos WSG build for a friend & added some mods.

i used a 9v battery tray / holder round the back for easy bat changing, i used Ray's cv & gate input mods from the mfos website , also put 2 lfo timing cap's on a dp/dt toggle switch to give high / low speeds.

I included a switch on each of the 4 oscs to select between external cv in / center off / osc master sweep dial , the osc sweep is really a pot voltage divider which sweeps any or all of the 4 oscs ( sounds good through a delay fx ) .

Squeezed into a 140mm x 170mm sloped project box.

Dave.

mfos wsg & mods.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  177.42 KB
 Viewed:  473 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

mfos wsg & mods.JPG

macumbista

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Spent quite a bit of July working on this chopper with a student from Spain. He didn’t quite finish it… a problem if you’re a Spanish dude in your early 20’s with too many friends around I suppose. Synth building is a solitary pursuit. So consider this a work in progress.

Tech details: line input, mic input, 2 x line outputs, dual VCA, 2 x VCO, dual VC Slope, Utility LFO, DC Mixer, Steiner VC Filter, Wave Multiplier. All PCBs by Ken Stone/CGS.

Last edited by macumbista on Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oooof... just finished another one-off electronic sound box... this time, a customized version of my Spacial Percussionizer [ http://www3.bell.net/james.schid/schidlowsky_esb.html#spacialperc ] for a sound-maker friend. He wanted a grey box with 4-channel output instead of 2, as well as all the trigger and spatializing oscillators voltage controlled. The power jack & switch and output jacks are on the back side.

At the heart of it, a CMOS NAND gate “percussion”/noise generator with 4052 spatializers (with 4 positions per pair of channels), both of which Inventor came up with.

This was my biggest box project yet... in terms of number of chips and panel hardware. Each time I build something, I learn stuff, and still make new mistakes.

James.

Quad Spacial Percussionizer box3b-sm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  190.64 KB
 Viewed:  1505 Time(s)

Quad Spacial Percussionizer box3b-sm.jpg

sonicwarrior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@RingMad:

At first I thought that was a cake and got an appetite for it. Laughing
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sonicwarrior wrote:
@RingMad:

At first I thought that was a cake and got an appetite for it. Laughing

How did you even make that mistake!? In what way does that look like a cake!? Laughing

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
sonicwarrior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They are many pictures of synth cakes out there and it looks very similar to them. Very Happy
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Apparently RingMad can have his synth and play it too!

Les

RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Synth cake?!

I've rarely seen any grey cakes, though.

But... I'll take it as a compliment, so thanks!

Ha, good one Les, but the friend I built it for has it now and is working on a composition that will use it. I'm eager to hear what he will do with it, but also a little worried about if I messed up and it breaks down in the middle of the concert.

James.
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RingMad: Ancient proverb say: Old man looked back and said "Most of the things I worried about never happened".

Les

JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
RingMad: Ancient proverb say: Old man looked back and said "Most of the things I worried about never happened".

Les

As they say on the streets: True dat.

P.S. by jove he's right!
http://websound.ru/issues/171_175/synth-cake.jpg
http://www.synthgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/synthesizer_cake.jpg

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
sduck

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a Random Looping Sequencer:

Random Looping Sequencer front

Random Looping Sequencer profile

Random Looping Sequencer back

note the Extremely High Tech® pcb mounting method - it's a euro pcb, and has no conventional mounting holes, so I got these really cool nylon pcb mounting thingies, but the existing holes (borrowed from hardware I didn't use on the pcb) weren't big enough, so I had to X-acto the nylon grabber things down to a size that would fit, but then they wouldn't hold the pcb in all the needed directions, so I slapped a bit of super sexy cable tie around the whole mess. Problem solved.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sduck wrote:
I slapped a bit of super sexy cable tie around the whole mess. Problem solved.

Very nice. If you would have used just an ordinary cable tie instead of the super sexy one, the project would not be nearly as nice. Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Boogdish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

New proto-PCBs in for three new designs! I guess this isn't technically a build photo, but I'm just really excited to be getting new stuff done. I got them done by OSH Park and it was the fastest turnaround on protoPCBs I've had, and at a reasonable price.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Left is the Voltage To Rhythm converter. Center is a little utility module that's an attenuater/amplifier/offsetter with LEDs for indicating if you're over or under a certain voltage. Right is the rotating Track And Hold, which can also function as a standard sequential switch. I'll be writing more about these/gauging interest when I make sure I've got all the bugs out of the system.
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: ADRAIN 8
Subject description: vintage drumbox
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

While I was cleaning up a bit I stumbled on an old (1977) book I got some time ago, on how to
build your own electronic organ. The circuits are pretty outdated and all transistor based but
there's also a section in it with percussion circuits and from what I understand they are the
circuits from the Thomas Bandmaster.

So I breadboarded them and was pretty happy with the sound considering they are mostly very simple
1 transistor circuits. Most of them are actually exactly the same except for component values. The
brush cymbal, snaredrum and hi-hat also share a noise section and the snaredrum has an AMV for
drumrolls. I couldn't build the crash cymbal since it needs a 1H inductance, which is a bit hard
to find and expensive. I did get the right inductance for the brush cymbal (well almost). but
somehow it causes noise to bleed through without being triggered. So at the moment I have that
desoldered which makes it sound more similar to the snare/hi-hat. Rolling Eyes
(I might get that fixed somehow someday)

There wasn't really a hi-hat circuit in the book, so I adapted the crash cymbal circuit a bit for
that. Originaly the tone pots where trimpots parallel to a smaller resistor, so I increased the
resistance of those and added some real pots instead. I also added extra switchable caps to the
snare/brush/hi-hat for longer decay times, and changed some of the component values.

Each drumsound has a gain circuit added to get it to a decent line level and then goes to an
EFX S/R jack (shorted when nothing is plugged in). The snaredrum has this for both the snare and
drum section. After that the signals go through a level pot, pan pot and are mixed together.
(as a bonus I can also use it as just a mixer, by plugging something into the EFX Return)

The trigger inputs all have comparators and a simple on/off switch. The interface connector.
has all the 9 trigger inputs (8 sounds + drumroll) and power (2 pins for +12V, 1 pin for -12V,
and 3 pins for GND) It has a build in PSU and I put a XLR connector on the side with the RAW DC
voltage to power my other synths from it. So 'next' will be a controller, probably something PIC-
based or maybe pure CMOS. And I could also make a drumpad for it

For the case I used a vintage 70's breadbin (one of those eureka! shower moments).
O and did I mention that it has nice colorful LED's Laughing

so may I present to you:

ADRIAN 8 Cool

and for those wondering what ADRIAN might stand for (Analog, Drum, Interface, ehm,.. thinking )
no, it doesn't mean anything (yet), but is a reference to Adrian from the movie Liquid Sky.

ok. let me shut up now and show you some pics and a demo:
(front is not fully attached yet with all the screws in case I need to change something)

ADRIAN8 - 01.jpg
 Description:
ADRIAN 8
 Filesize:  74.12 KB
 Viewed:  1412 Time(s)

ADRIAN8 - 01.jpg

ADRIAN8 - 02.jpg
 Description:
Money shot
 Filesize:  79.76 KB
 Viewed:  1342 Time(s)

ADRIAN8 - 02.jpg

ADRIAN8 - 03.jpg
 Description:
trigger section
 Filesize:  82.15 KB
 Viewed:  1369 Time(s)

ADRIAN8 - 03.jpg

ADRIAN8 - 04.jpg
 Description:
some LED action
 Filesize:  35.28 KB
 Viewed:  1373 Time(s)

ADRIAN8 - 04.jpg

PHOBoS - ADRIAN 8 demo (Aug 09, 2012).mp3
 Description:
ADRIAN 8 controlled by Mad Monkey Seq + Divider

Download
 Filename:  PHOBoS - ADRIAN 8 demo (Aug 09, 2012).mp3
 Filesize:  4.28 MB
 Downloaded:  2236 Time(s)

Last edited by PHOBoS on Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice looking piece of gear, for a PhoBoSapien. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elmegil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inspired use of a breadbox Smile
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow , what a fantastic drum box, phobos , really well laid out and those s/r fx jacks are a great idea , did you have to put a stomp box level converter circuit in or are fx pedals ok with the instrument levels ? .

sounds great too , i was thinking Fad Gadget / the Normal , early mute records , Excellent build Smile Smile Smile

DAVE.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Howard, elmegil, Dave Very Happy

Skrog Productions wrote:
..,did you have to put a stomp box level converter circuit in or are fx pedals ok with the instrument levels ?

I don't have any pedals myself only effects that are build for line level use so I adjusted it for that.
But if I'm correct most pedals have a input level attenuator so that should work. Actually I see them
being used for line level signals all the time Smile

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
elmegil

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: El Cerrito Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's my El Cerrito build, just finished. Working on VCA/VCF so I can actually "play" it, but I've messed around with it some and like it a lot so far.

Horizontal mounting is to help with my space constraints, I have a directive from above to keep myself within the space of a single shelf (which makes me consider switching to Euro format, but...I don't like little knobs and jacks, so not yet).

El Cerrito Panel.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  427.34 KB
 Viewed:  1361 Time(s)

El Cerrito Panel.jpg

El Cerrito Soldered.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  563.33 KB
 Viewed:  1336 Time(s)

El Cerrito Soldered.jpg

El Cerrito Wired.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  552.11 KB
 Viewed:  1307 Time(s)

El Cerrito Wired.jpg

El Cerrito in context.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  519.33 KB
 Viewed:  1315 Time(s)

El Cerrito in context.jpg

ashleym

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quite a tricky build as this isnt from standard parts. Actually a present from my girlfriend and I built it quickly. I will post a link if anyone likes it. And sorry one picture is upside down

photo.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  448.09 KB
 Viewed:  1346 Time(s)

photo.JPG

photo-1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  447.61 KB
 Viewed:  1347 Time(s)

photo-1.JPG

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool Lego Thing!
elmegil

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Would love to see a link.

Those don't look like legos though, more like those tiny versions...which I can't find right now Smile
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looks like ministeck Cool
but you can't stack those as far as I know Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 10 of 16 [384 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: