electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
The Engine as a meta module (with illustration)
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: The Engine as a meta module (with illustration) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, actually, only as a illustration.

I thought the way Rob placed the engine was very inspirering and so I invested in a realy long usb cable and placed "mine" inbetween the Ibanez UE405(bottom) and the UE400 (top) which are already a lot like a little modular. The only real purpose of this post is that I´m hoping others will find this inspirering too.

Also in this image are the ESI-32 which doesn´t realy have anything to do with any of this and a little bit of the CS-100 delay by ADR systems.

(Normally speaking my IBM keyboard is placed where you new see the foot-pedal but i though this looked more interesting. Yes, those Ibanez´s are battered but they are still alive!).

example.gif
 Description:
Using the G2 engine as a meta module in a larger "modular".
 Filesize:  74.45 KB
 Viewed:  7639 Time(s)

example.gif

cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, this IS a cool idea... In my case, my G2 KB is on a swivel/rolling stand made for mixers, etc. Most of the time, it has it's backside to me for easy patching. When i feel like using the hardware interface, though, I just spin it around.
Anyway, what I might end up doing someday is mounting an engine backwards in a rack, too, and either hang on to my KB or get that G2 Rack so many of us are dying for! Twisted Evil
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, and it matches realy well with the Ibanez´s. You see, those are basically sets of four guitar pedals. You get knobs for setting the order and a "ext" module on each that´s used as a insert anywhere in that chain, I like using those for springreverbs. It doesn´t look as "pro" as Rob´s formant but I´ll live ;¬).

The nice bit is that the Ibanez´s "want" to go muddy and moody while the G2 wants to go bright and upfront. They work nicely together, I think.

What we need, IMHO, is a G2 table-top (if we´re going to touch that subject). I honestly feel it would be best if we had a G2 model that steals as much as possible from grooveboxes. Pads, "beams", for all I care a jog-dial that´s designed like a scratch-pad! I´m totally serious, we need something that provides a realy direct interface to cerebral tools, then we need to give a free one to kid606 and people like that whom we´ll use for our marketing campaign where we´ll use the word "IDM" for the first time in a non-ironic way.

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

haha, yeah. those are great ideas, though. seriously, the G2 is certainly deserving of such an interface...
one of those Alesis AirFX domes would be cool, the D-beam, yeah, though it probably does a similar thing, an X/Y/Z pad, and some kind of biofeedback interface...
The Why Project

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My G2 is hard-wired into one of my 2 patchbays... as is the rest of my
gear... same concept Smile
In fact, my whole studio is 1 big modular application Cool

Soldering patchbays is really not a fun job... but the result is the ultimate
in routing flexibility!

Greetz,

The Why Project
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why, that´s what I want too, but I was thinking about simply buying some ptchbay racks. Is there any good reason to solder them?
The Why Project

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, except for locking yourself in for a long period, burning your fingers
all the time, struggling with cable-stripping, and all of that while you could
have been making music... yes.

If you solder them yourself, I think there's a couple of advantages:
1) A good soldered link is better than 2 plugs. For making a connection
in the front of the patchbay, you already need 2 plugs... in my opinion,
less plugs = better.
2) If you have a 96 hole patchbay fully wired up, that'll save you 96
plugs. If like myself, you prefer Neutrik or Amphenol, that adds up to
quite an amount of cash Shocked By the way, I have around 150 holes
used from my 2 patchbays...

There are disadvantages too:
1) As stated above, it's quite an investment of personal time and resource.
2) Once your studio starts changing, you maybe would have wished to
have used a patchbay with plugs at both sides.

Regards,

The Why Project
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now that I've paired my studio down some, I use my Echo Layla24 as my patchbay and central interface between gear & software. With the layla in a DJ rig, one 8channel snake is all it takes to connect the G2 in from 8 feet away. Clean & simple.

One a completely other note: I've been thinking about what to do with the extra space that's on the G2 keys (~5" x ~7")...some buttons/leds, drum pads. Sequencer stuff in general. Mostly ways to either bring out more module controls (like sequencers) to a physical interface. But, also provide some extra controls, like infrared sensors (d-beams) and the like. What would you specifically want in something like this if you could buy one?
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Why Project wrote:

Soldering patchbays is really not a fun job... but the result is the ultimate
in routing flexibility!

I am a big fan of audio patchbays. I can reroute everything in a matter of seconds (minutes maybe).

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:

One a completely other note: I've been thinking about what to do with the extra space that's on the G2 keys (~5" x ~7")...some buttons/leds, drum pads. Sequencer stuff in general. Mostly ways to either bring out more module controls (like sequencers) to a physical interface. But, also provide some extra controls, like infrared sensors (d-beams) and the like. What would you specifically want in something like this if you could buy one?

Not what you're looking for, but the micro modular fits perfectly in that space!
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now that we're showing each other dirty pictures... Wink

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Recently created this cozy corner just for myself to be able to experiment a bit. Basically it is a simultaneous eight track recording/playback thingy, which is pretty much enough for my a-dynamic fooling around.

A Behringer DDX3216 is used as the patchbay/mixer, two expanded Engines are connected by an ADAT I/O converter to a DDX ADAT expansionboard, while another ADAT I/O connection runs to ADAT connectors on a PC. The analog (left) side of the personal studio (which is not on the picture) connects through an external SPDIF converter to the DDX. A Xerox plasma screen above the DDX is the icing on the cake.

So, is this a patchbay? Oh yes, I can e.g. instantly route any input to any output through the bus system of the DDX. And instantly recall a config. E.g. play three stereo tracks from the PC, route them into the inputs of the engines, mix them with drums from the DMPro that is sequenced from an engine, add some extra G2 stuff, pan everything in Dolby5.1 and record the Dolby mix on six tracks on the PC for later DVD burning, while simultaniously recording an extra stereo mix on the fly on one of the Philips CD recorders that connect by SPDIF. Or something...

The DDX's are dead cheap over here, got mine for 680 euros plus 235 for the ADAT expansion. An absolute great feature is the VU meters along the motorfaders. But imho the DDX gets only worthwhile with the ADAT expansion boards, which allow for a total of 32 extra inputs and outputs, turning it into a 48 inputs by 38 outputs matrix. For top notch quality one could use RME ADAT converters instead of the cheapo ADA8000 or Fostex ones that more fit my budget.

And there is some blahblah effects in the DDX that I still have to look at. Still, I envy Kassen for his Boss DM100 Very Happy
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Why Project wrote:
My G2 is hard-wired into one of my 2 patchbays... as is the rest of my
gear... same concept Smile
In fact, my whole studio is 1 big modular application Cool

hehe... same here. All my gear is also patched into 2 audio patchers.
It requires alot of cables, but it's an extremly flexible setup!
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: