electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
NM open project
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: NM open project Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For those interested, the NM editor developers group at source forge had some recent progress.
Marcus Andersson wrote:
Hi,

I have just committed a proof of concept patch editor in nmedit/nmedit. It is possible to modify the module parameters for the patch in slot A. I have taken a lot of shortcuts in the graphics code, but the underlying code in the libs is solid.

This is not going to be the editor application we are all going to use. I only wrote it to test the underlying code. I am not completely satisfied with FLTK.

The Synth class is going to be useful for other editor implementations though. It abstracts away all the protocol interactions with the nm. I think I should move it to libnmprotocol.

Marcus

Some links :

Nmedit-devel mailing list - Nmedit-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
http://nmedit.sf.net/
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/nmedit-devel
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I loudly aplaud this.

Not only will it preserve the usefullness of our hardware after windows issues have rendered the official editor unusable (some people are already having trouble with xp) but I also see a open road for improvements in the interface such as the return of the calculator and perhaps even custom made "building blocks" with their own interface.

Three cheers for the open source movement.

nescivi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I really should look into this.
It would be nice to be able to edit the patches for my MicroMod from Linux, so that some last minute changes are possible without having to reboot to Windows XP on my laptop.
Acidfever

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anyone know the status of this?

I am looking into making the biggest part of my setup Modular and thus also adding a NM G1 besides the 2 G2's and Reaktor 5.

Seems like the editor could become a problem. The Nomad thing didn't get updated since April 2005 though.

Any news there?
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know nothing. But I am annoyed that Clavia never managed to issue a fully working editor for OS X. Theoretically an open source project for the NM-1 could solve the " missing editor problem" for both Wintel, OS X and linux.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Acidfever wrote:
Does anyone know the status of this?

Best to have a look at http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum=nmedit-cvs and related pages. The mailing list is very quiet, but the last software updates seem to be less than a month ago.

An there is this :

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

But there is no working editor yet AFAIK.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
I know nothing. But I am annoyed that Clavia never managed to issue a fully working editor for OS X. Theoretically an open source project for the NM-1 could solve the " missing editor problem" for both Wintel, OS X and linux.

I think the main problem with the OSX thing is that Clavia runs PC's and lacks the knowledge to do top of the line OSX development. That wouldn't be such a large issue in itself but I think they should simply admit this and get outside help with the few remaining issues. I gather those are fairly minor issues that could be solved by a good OSX wizard in a few hours. I don't think there is any shame in that; you can't be a expert in everything at the same time and nobody expects you to but it's a good idea to know what you can and can't do.

I also think Clavia's protectiveness of their internal inventions is clauding the issue with open source; it's mainly about being usable with the platform people want to use; those who realy want to code on a Motorola chip can get a Cameleon. If Clavia would open the editor and leave the synth's code closed then the usefullness could be preserved indefinately without opening up any of the ultra secret Clavia tricks to the competition.

This would open the way for homebrew bridges between VST and either MIDI or some custom port on a custom editor so the NM could be conveniently automated from a VST host and patches could be saved as a part of songs there. and so on and so forth....

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought there is an unsupported version of the NM1 editor that works with OSX.

I can understand why Clavia wouldn't be interested in putting any resources into any projects involving the NM1 or other discontinued products. They need to focus all of their resources on current and future projects.

With the G2, they fully support OSX.

I would like to see the NM1 opened up to the open-source worlds, but even doing that would take resources.

To me, Clavia's supplying the G2 Demo on PC and OSX for free is pretty commendable.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
elektro80 wrote:

I think the main problem with the OSX thing is that Clavia runs PC's and lacks the knowledge to do top of the line OSX development. That wouldn't ..

I know this is a reach, but have any of the Mac users here tried running the NM Editors in VMWare, WINE, or the older MAC OS Windows emulator (before the MAC OS was BSD-based) ?
seawolf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: speculation... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello all... I have been doing some speculation on the opportunities that this nmEdit project may provide, and I have a few technical questions I am seeking help answering.

I have an NEC MobilePro 780, which is capable of running netBSD (and therefore most likely nmEdit sometime in the near future.)

It has a functional serial port, but it seems to flake out at rates faster than 9600bps. It also has a PCMCIA slot and a CF card slot, but they may also not be very fast. However, I know the modem is capable of somewhere between 33.6kbps and 56kbps.

The nord modular, according to clavia, requires the full MIDI xfer rate, which is about 31250bps, in order to communicate with the editor. This is why a number of MIDI interfaces do not work with the nord modular (they do not go to full MIDI rate).

So...

Anybody know of a way to send MIDI data through a modem?

Kind Regards,

cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: speculation... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seawolf wrote:
Hello all... I have been doing some speculation on the opportunities that this nmEdit project may provide, and I have a few technical questions I am seeking help answering.

Anybody know of a way to send MIDI data through a modem?

Take a look at netmidi. Not sure if it's even an active project, but I remember reading something about a midi over ethernet project.
I think it was called NEtmidi
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: speculation... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seawolf wrote:
The nord modular, according to clavia, requires the full MIDI xfer rate, which is about 31250bps, in order to communicate with the editor. This is why a number of MIDI interfaces do not work with the nord modular (they do not go to full MIDI rate).

Just to clarify, 31250bps is the only MIDI data rate.

MIDI uses a serial data stream 1 start bit, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit. The electrical spec calls for an opto isolator on the input but the output is just standard TTL 0-5V
So if your UART can do 31K25 baud 1-8-1 no parity, your all set. Probably better check the RS232 serial out doesn't use true RS232 levels though.
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Physically they are transmitting the 31.25kbps, but internally they are slower, or the drivers are slower. I think this was a problem with serially (rs232) attached MIDI controllers that had multiple MIDI ports. Anything USB or firewire today would be plenty fast enough.
hyperstationjr

G2 patch files: 24

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Will there be anything in like custom module programming or anything like that implemented in the NM Open project?

For Sale/Trade:
Alesis Microverb 4, Make Noise 0-Coast, Monome Norns Fates clone, Panasonic RQ-705 Reel-to-reel, Roland Alpha Juno1, Yamaha TG55
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: