electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
Hexinverter´s Battery Acid layout
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Mirmite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Hexinverter´s Battery Acid layout Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

have been working today on hexinverters battery acid
anyone see any faults?

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

http://cv.hexinverter.net/?projects=batteryacid-v10
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15996745/da/WXP_driver/eagle.rar
Snaper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Updated layout attached, tested and working!!!

Battery Acid.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  91.36 KB
 Viewed:  944 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Battery Acid.png

IMG_1682.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.18 MB
 Viewed:  828 Time(s)

IMG_1682.JPG

bamboombaps

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey thanks for this! im building this now- can you help?

i dont quite understand how to wire the pots and sockets and what is the switch?
Snaper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, Sure, I will try.
Input and output pots are just attenuators, so leg 1 into ground, leg 3 is the input, leg 2 is the out.

About the dist pot and the switch, here is the original schematic :

http://legacy.hexinverter.net//files/projects/batteryacid-v10/batteryACID_v1.0_schematic.png

Leg 1 of the dist pot is not connected leg 2 is to the pad (on the layout), and leg 3 to ground.

As you can see, the switch is a simple spdt switch.

Do not forget, that the white little dots means that those jumpers are joined there, so you have to use two little jumpers Very Happy
bamboombaps

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey thanks alot for this, im waiting on the IC and pots but looking forward to getting it up and running.

btw all the pots are Log, is that correct? if not i have lin ones in my bits box
Snaper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IIRC I used linear pots for all three what I built;)
bamboombaps

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so i built this and theres something wrong.

when i turn the distortion pot up and down it just turns the voume up and down, there is no distortion to be heard at all.

the signal is travelling stright through without effect. when the switch is switched it only allows the distortion pot to adjust volume.

ive re-flowed the whole board but nothing

any ideas?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bamboombaps wrote:
any ideas?

Sounds like the levels over the diodes are not high enough to get them conducting (and then distorting the signal). Some causes could be :

- too low an input level.

- not enough amplification in the opamp stage, likely caused by a wrongly valued resistor.

- too much load on the output, like for instance connecting headphones to it directly.

Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any soundbites as how this module is supposed to sound? Rolling Eyes
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Snaper wrote:
Leg 1 of the dist pot is not connected leg 2 is to the pad (on the layout), and leg 3 to ground

Just a small remark on this: it is common practice to attach the non used pin of a potmeter to the runner (center pin) of the potmeter, in that case, in the event of a bad spot on the substrate, the resistance will not be infinitive but the max value of the pot.
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what are you using as your sound source ?
as Blue Hell mentioned if the level is too low it won't clip, but with the amplification being adjustable to >200x
and the voltage drop over the diodes being 1V that would be a very low signal level (< 0,005V). Another thing, if you are using
a square wave you might not hear the effect. Do you have a scope so you can see what the output level is ? an AC Volt meter
might work too with a simple sinewave on the input but a scope would be much more useful.

You say the distortion pot works as a level control so you seem to have something correct, because it simply adjusts the gain and
that would sound like that if the signal wasn't being clipped. Using the schematic posted here there are a couple things you could check:
1M resistor R4 (if it is too small it would attenuate the input signal)
10K resistor R5 (if it is too big the signal would also be attenuated)
1M resistor R1 (if it too small you won't get enough gain)
diodes D1, D2 (if not connected correctly the signal won't get clipped)

Also since it is stripboard there is a higher change of shorts between traces, but since you are getting a signal out I doubt that is the case.
And last but not least, as Snaper mentioned:
Do not forget, that the white little dots means that those jumpers are joined there, so you have to use two little jumpers.
If you didn't do that the circuit probably wouldn't have worked at all though, but I noticed that one of those connects the diodes to GND.

on a side note, the 1M resistor R8 seems useless to me. It is parallel to the 100K pot and too large to make much of a difference. scratch

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bamboombaps

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
what are you using as your sound source ?
as Blue Hell mentioned if the level is too low it won't clip, but with the amplification being adjustable to >200x
and the voltage drop over the diodes being 1V that would be a very low signal level (< 0,005V). Another thing, if you are using
a square wave you might not hear the effect. Do you have a scope so you can see what the output level is ? an AC Volt meter
might work too with a simple sinewave on the input but a scope would be much more useful.

You say the distortion pot works as a level control so you seem to have something correct, because it simply adjusts the gain and
that would sound like that if the signal wasn't being clipped. Using the schematic posted here there are a couple things you could check:
1M resistor R4 (if it is too small it would attenuate the input signal)
10K resistor R5 (if it is too big the signal would also be attenuated)
1M resistor R1 (if it too small you won't get enough gain)
diodes D1, D2 (if not connected correctly the signal won't get clipped)

Also since it is stripboard there is a higher change of shorts between traces, but since you are getting a signal out I doubt that is the case.
And last but not least, as Snaper mentioned:
Do not forget, that the white little dots means that those jumpers are joined there, so you have to use two little jumpers.
If you didn't do that the circuit probably wouldn't have worked at all though, but I noticed that one of those connects the diodes to GND.:

Foniks 555 TH VCO is my source, tried with a scope and although the sine shape is being affected (slightly) but there is no audible change.

I'm pretty sure all connections are correct, all values have been triple checked and reflowed numerous times. im starting to suspect the IC, or even the stipboard itself.

ill rebuild on better quality stip and see what happens.

not letting this one go!
Snaper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Phobos got the point there. I think checj the jumpers. The little dots means that there are actually two jumpers are connected together. (2 wires in 1 hole)
bamboombaps

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Snaper wrote:
Phobos got the point there. I think checj the jumpers. The little dots means that there are actually two jumpers are connected together. (2 wires in 1 hole)

yeah man i caught the double jumpers. everything seems right scratch

its small enough to do again from scratch
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Since you have a scope I am curious what the output level is.
Of course you can built it again from scratch, but because it is such
a simple circuit it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what is wrong.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bamboombaps

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are a couple of pics. First one straight from the sine output of the 555 vco

Second one is with all pots cw. Input and output pots adjust level as expected. Distortion switch and pot do nothing , sorry this is different from what I thought I had observed in that the dist pot doesn't work at all. Even when bridged at the lugs with a wire to test.

20160425_211451.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.78 MB
 Viewed:  373 Time(s)

20160425_211451.jpg

20160425_211521.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.74 MB
 Viewed:  342 Time(s)

20160425_211521.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh dear almost forgot about this. Maybe you already built a new one but what I see on the scope is petty much what I would expect.
but since you can't control it you probably get full distortion all the time.
Could there be something wrong with the pot ?!

lilpaula87

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there, I’ve just finished this module but I’m not sure about its behavior.
In details, I’ve noticed:
1. The output level is lower then the input level
2. Passing through the module the sound loses part of the low frequencies
3. Turning up the distortion pot the effect amount grows as expected but when the pot reaches 9 out of 10 of the dial scale, suddenly the distortion boosts hudgely.

If you have built this module, could you please tell me if this is its normal behavior?
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
Jump to: