electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Lunetta questions
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
billsship

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Lunetta questions Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey everyone, I'm planning on building a Lunetta. It will consist of four 4093 oscillators that can be patched together using 1/8" cables. The main idea and design came from vidiotsquad.com (http://www.vidiotsquad.com/synth-stuff/simple-oscillators/) Could y'all check out my circuit and let me know if this is possible? And answer a few questions please! Very Happy I am a beginner, but I've been lurking around and studying up for a month or two. My background is in modular synthesizers.

1st - I read somewhere that all inputs (pins 1/2, 5/6, 8/9, and 12/13) need to be connected to ground when not active. Is this true?

2nd - If I use patch cables to connect the inputs and outputs of oscillators, do I need to connect the sleeve to ground? Should diodes be involved here?

3rd - Can I connect pots before the outputs of each oscillator to change the amount of signal that gets sent to the next oscillator?

4th - If I want to add LEDs that display the rate of each oscillator, where should those be added?

4093 draft 1.jpg
 Description:
4093 draft 1
 Filesize:  508.58 KB
 Viewed:  302 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

4093 draft 1.jpg

trav

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome, billsship

1. yes, that is pretty much the golden rule for cmos, but they can be tied either high (to supply voltage) or low (ground); just don't leave them hanging! In your diagram you need to do this with pins 5, 8, and 13 (you have already tied pin 1 high). If you tie them high the oscillator will be always on with nothing plugged into the input, if you tie them low, always off. Either way, you want to use either a pull-up or pull-down resistor (say 100k between pin 5 and ground, for example) so that when something is plugged into the input that signal will control the oscillator.

2. you don't need to do this; banana jacks are fine

3. this won't work the way I think you mean. cmos are logic chips, for the most part they only understand 1 (supply voltage) and 0 (0V, or ground). Use your mixer for what you want to do.

4. you can get fancy on this, but just hanging an LED+current limiting resistor off the outputs works for me.

in summary, what you probably want is a) a resistor to ground (or to +9V) from pins 5, 8, and 13, and b) a resistor-to-LED-to-ground of each of your oscillator outputs.

Hope that helps
billsship

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you so much for your help Trav! I'll post updates when I have them. Now onto laying this thing out on stripboard.
Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome

Remember the most important rule: have fun

DUBmatze

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey,

one way to connect a LED to the output is:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
(check out http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/CMOS_Synthesizers/ )

a other way is (i use that) just buffer the Output with 2 buffer of a 4050 (one for the Audio Out and one for the LED).

Your OSC 2 -3 maybe will produce sound wile nothing connected to input . You can use jacks with a switch. Just connect the switch to ground an the input an it is LOW while nothing is connectet.
billsship

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Dubmatze. I've decided to go with the easier approach. I've wired up some basics on my breadboard (I'm pretty new to the actual wiring-up of circuits) and I've been pleased with the sounds!

One goal of mine is to allow these CMOS chips to interact with my Eurorack modular synth. I would like to use a 4093 to create 4 variable-speed LFOs that could be used to clock an ADSR or other module that takes triggers/gates. But I want to make sure that it doesn't fry my synth! Eurorack modules take 0 to 5v as CV/gate. If I run a 4093 circuit on 5v, would there be any issue with power issues or explosions or burning electronics?

As for using a CMOS synth as an audio source in a Eurorack synth, I've read that because these CMOS chips run with a +V and ground, there would be an audio bias or DC offset when mixed with the +12/-12V ground centered signals coming from the other modules. Is this true? Is it avoidable?

All of your (y'all's) help is so appreciated. Thank you!! Very Happy

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: