electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
'That' sound
Page 1 of 4 [78 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
clementshawes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: 'That' sound
Subject description: Boards of Canada, Clark, AFX
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, so there's a gazillion+ results for such things but I trust the opine of this forum over any of the others I troll/frequent...

This might be a long post, skip to the end for the details if you're short on time/interest/attention-span Smile

I'm not looking to imitate so much as appreciate the sounds, mostly analog-ish, of these particular artists.
I know 107.5% of their sounds are down to signal paths, processing, workflow, approach and even the odd blood sacrifice but I'm looking for a starting point as I am reassessing my current gear/setup.

I'd sooner have one workhorse synth which I can pour over than a room full of the odds and ends I currently do.

I'm already aiming to pretty much sell everything and invest in something more suited to my tastes of music; another thread suggests I ditch everything bar the Nord Mod and RM1x.

I'm considering ridding the Nord at this stage - while it's a very cool device, I'm loathed to have second/virtual machines to edit - I'm preferring a dedicated interface but I'm also happy to use a matrix interface if the trade of sound to control is worth it.
A computer-based editor is OK but I don't want it to be essential.

So - for warm sounds, full-bass, airy leads and all 'those' sounds - would anyone be kind enough to suggest their ideals for obtaining such gold?
I'm happy with adding FX/post and the like, I'm not so ill-educated to know that I'd need to invest time/effort in layering, processing and such.

Ideally, something poly-capable though mono-timbral isn't an issue.
4 or less octaves if a keyboard model.
Knob-per-function or an intuitive matrix - happy to compromise if intuitive.
This might be sacrilege but I'm leaning toward more modern devices nowadays as I don't want to invest in some monolithic analog powerhouse only to need 3 times its price to repair oscillators, filters, whatever.

I'd love to hear from you Smile

adnauseam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Imitating "that sound" Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Recently I believe I read that BoC bounces all tracks to tape (!) if you can believe it. I'm sure they also use a lot of genuine analog equipment. I think this was in an interview regarding Tomorrow's Harvest.

There's lots of clever tricks you can use to add that analog warmth in other ways. I'm not experienced in the ways, but I know using tape is one of them.

If you want to get deep into it...
Imagine yourself, if you will, in a pre-digital studio! What kinds of devices would be responsible for creating your sounds? How are the sounds colored by the various recording mediums? How many times did that bloke cut and splice that section of tape to create repeating sections?

Not all of us have the patience to deal with tapes or other hulking machines of the past. With that in mind make clever use of saturation type effects, different kinds of eq, something to add a bit of noise to a signal, small variations in pitch (tape wow/flutter?), spring reverb, true analog chorus/flanging in small amounts, the list goes on. Most of these effects are available as plugins in your favorite DAW but will need clever tweaking to hide the digital grit.

I can really use what I'vegot. I've noticed, for example, that passing the nord modular (digital) through a really nice reverb, like the eventide space (also digital), has an end result that sounds so nice and warm and cozy. Even if the reverb level is really hardly audible.

If you want to get into the possibility of getting new synths...

Modern analog poly synths with midi may do the trick. Poly Evolver comes to mind, but I'm probably biased (love em), perhaps a nicely serviced Juno 106? There are likely more others would recommend.
clementshawes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your reply Smile

Yeah, I've heard that BoC use tape extensively - even seen brief details of them using an old grundig tape machine(s); even bouncing the same clip/stem onto 6 mono tapes, modulating their playback for even more of that hiss and crackle.
one of my fave methods they're rumoured to use is recording onto cheap, hand-held, cassette recorders while shaking, swinging or otherwise moving both source and recorder.

Not to mention intentionally degraded and damaged tape...

Specifically though, it's the synths I'm looking for - SH-101 seems to be commonly mentioned, MiniMoog and Juno's too.

So I'm looking to buy a starting block which I can use for my work - I like the richness and warmth of the sounds; while I'm an avid fan of BoC, I'm not looking to rip off their work so much as know what to explore devices offering those stomach-rumbling baselines, leads as soft as a Nan's kiss but warm like a summers evening!

clementshawes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Poly Evolver is most definitely up there on the lust list but are they as good at the subtle sounds as the Prophet 08 for example? I have, and love, an Evolver desktop but subtle is a term I believe that the desktop simply doesn't understand!
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm guessing, but if you want 'that sound', look no further than a Waldorf. You'll see what I mean by watching this video...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PXvQs4Nq06c

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
adnauseam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

clementshawes wrote:
Poly Evolver is most definitely up there on the lust list but are they as good at the subtle sounds as the Prophet 08 for example? I have, and love, an Evolver desktop but subtle is a term I believe that the desktop simply doesn't understand!

The Evolver is a bit of a synthesis chameleon

It can be harsh, it can be subtle, it can be buzzy, it can be smooth.

I believe using it as an analog only device one could create sounds similar to the P08. That means using only the analog oscillators (1, 3), no high pass filter, no distortion, no delay lines, and no feedback.

Gotta be careful. The Evolver has a lot (of features) which can easily add overwhelming tones to the out.
clementshawes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
I'm guessing, but if you want 'that sound', look no further than a Waldorf. You'll see what I mean by watching this video...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PXvQs4Nq06c

Yeah, I used to own a Blofeld kb which I loved and found programming quite easy; I also managed to put together some sounds that fitted my desire.
I, regrettably, swapped it for a Nord Modular G1... Not that the nord is bad, just that the Blo' sat better with me; I loved the Nord at first but it's quite the attention sponge and I've spent arguably longer tweaking the editor than actually using the bloody thing - no amount of 'power', emulation or otherwise 'tweakers delight' can replace spontaneity or even actual use...

I've actually been putting some strong consideration into replacing my setup with a MoPho keyboard and Blofeld desktop module - leaving me open to later adding a Tetra if I feel the mono analog isn't enough (or layering is too tedious).

That said, I'm waiting to hear of a potential deal where I get a Mono Evolver keyboard - I may keep the Evolver and poly them for duo phonic and get on my own case to get more into programming. I'd still have enough to get a used Blofeld desktop. I feel this, or the MoPho kb will suit me more.

I plan to keep my Korg MS20 vst and legacy MS20 USB controller, I can semi-cheat the filter using my MonoTron (pseudo) which gives me another pseudo-analog sound... Kind of... Not to mention the actual MonoTron itself!

soundwave106

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's hard to really narrow down that "that sound" in my opinion, from these artists. Because, of the ones that you can get a glimpse of their gear, they really have a lot of "odds and ends". Plus, most of the interviews also don't delve into the computer side, and particularly for the glitchy stuff I've heard that this is more on that end vs. hardware. Most pro synth artists seem to have as much G.A.S. as the rest of us. Laughing

For warmth, I like to find things that soft clip very well. A little saturation that isn't even noticeable, but gives it a little bit of "something" that I think many people define as what analog is.

Tape is probably the best way, as much as a PITA as it would be, and you'd also get interesting wow/flutter effect possibilities. The problem is you'd have to "chose wisely" -- some analog tape is less warm and more crappy. And, it'd be a PITA to bounce back and forth.

I personally like to utilize saturation within my chorus pedals -- it used to be adjusting the levels into a Dimension C pedal just so (the cheap Behringer clone would probably also work), but I've recently switched to a Moogerfooger Cluster Flux, with a very convenient "drive" knob. Add some reverb (I'm a Lexicon type but some love the Eventides, pick your choice) and it's pretty good for warm and tasty. I'm sure other saturation sources will work, of course.

I cannot help you with synth selection as much because my hardware synth of choice (modular aside) is an Alesis Andromeda, which is not quite "that sound" as much. Laughing I did own a Matrix 1000 and Juno 106 once. Those can probably get "that sound" with some good outboard.
clementshawes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your input... Pun semi-intended lol...

I should mention that I'm a bedroom-hobby-experimenter rather than any kind of actual performer, paid or otherwise.
I'm not actually able to play either - per se, again though, this is more experimental tinkerer than anything.
I guess I can liken myself to most players though, noodling and tinkering until that part sounds good - I just guess that I stand to take comparatively longer I guess.
As a result, this is the sort of thing I leave behind:

(warning, this might be a bit loud and is 'glitchy' so be aware).

So yeah, I guess I'm trying to expand on my rantings by saying that I'll be looking for a small setup comprising of one or two keyboard/modules for sound source and invest in some time and additional plug-in effects to suit my requirements.

I'm a father to 5 including 2 toddlers - time is precious and I'm still young so I plan to make a solid investment soon to carry me a few years from now; the death of my father left me an opportunity to splash out on some toys and try my footing.
I 'may' have answered my own question in an earlier thread now I read back and think.

I'd still appreciate any more advice/opine but thank you all for your thoughts so far Smile

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey nice track clementshawes!

I'm personally moving towards having a bunch of small gadgets that I move around, stow away and bring back. I guess that's the opposite of what you want. I get the impression that acts like BoC use lots of different gear.

I have a feeling that getting "that sound" comes down to toolboxes full of tricks and gimmicks rather than specific synths. So if someone does their trademark "thing" it comes down to the signal path: X goes into Y goes into Z and so on - and X, Y and Z don't need to be specific brands and models but rather general types of gear, and changing the brands and models may be a way to make a new variation of the gimmick, resulting in a different song.

All just guesswork from my part of course. I actually tried as an exercise to make one of those warm pad things that I like in BoC - chords into reverbs, processed a bit then into VCAs into delays. I used the Octatrack for some of this. It started off a track that then went elsewhere.

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW, thanks for mentioning Clark! Just listened through Turning Dragon - great stuff! Smile
clementshawes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
BTW, thanks for mentioning Clark! Just listened through Turning Dragon - great stuff! Smile

Thanks for your comment on my track - yeah, Clark is pretty up there for me, I really like his track 'Growls Garden'.

I like the idea of having lots of bits and am not thinking of never having such a cache of weapons.
I just think I lost track a bit and the appeal of this or that distracted me from using what I had. I've made some bad personal choices on the thought that 'this' will give 'that' - while true, the negatives have been stronger for me than the positives.
I feel I might have a better understanding of what I want and how to do it - leaving me free to future expand based on practical need over shiny offer Smile

Life was so much simpler before I had some options and funds for my habit!

adnauseam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:

From the first post I was wondering: Clark = Chris Clark?

I guess artists like to change their names once in a while.. Now he's up there with "Madonna"!
clementshawes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

adnauseam wrote:
Antimon wrote:

From the first post I was wondering: Clark = Chris Clark?

I guess artists like to change their names once in a while.. Now he's up there with "Madonna"!

Yeah, it's Chris Clark; not sure if Chris/Clark are used to distinguish his earlier techno/IDM stuff from his more recent Berlin analogue directed work - though I'm loving his tracks with Martina Topley Bird Smile

I guess it's like Aphex Twin and his AFX/Polygon Window/Caustic Window 'personas'?

Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I read somewhere that BOC owe a lot of their sound to the SH-101. That and sending everything through various types of tape, as was already mentioned.

You also keep mentioning basslines, which the Roland filters are famous for.

I would say that you want an SH-101, but it is a somewhat limited monosynth and can be very expensive. I would recommend a Juno instead because you can do a lot of similar stuff, plus it is poly and the chorus effect sounds great. If you get a 106, then ask about the VCF/VCA chips. If they have not been replaced, then you will eventually have to replace them. So you will end up paying a bit more in the long run.

But in all honesty - I don't recommend chasing a sound. You would be much better off getting a versatile synth that can do a lot for a good price. Take some points for inspiration from your favorite artists, but don't try to imitate them. Have fun finding your own style, and maybe one day someone will be trying to imitate your sound Very Happy

clementshawes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sound advice Jacob - thanks for your advice.

I was only looking for guides on the synths that feature heavily on these styles of production - I intend to find my own final sound but I prefer that sound over these modern 'Massive' and Virus TI wobbles/screeches.

I've spent years stumbling around finding my way around sounds - for better or worse; I'm not above imitation but for education - I'm not looking to be the next Tycho Wink

adnauseam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

clementshawes wrote:
I'm a father to 5 including 2 toddlers - time is precious and I'm still young so I plan to make a solid investment soon to carry me a few years from now;

Respect! Hardest job in the world, I hear. Good on you for making time to produce and actually producing. Some of us slugs should take a lesson. Embarassed
clementshawes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Back to the equipment, whoever mentioned the poly Evolver owes me a few nights sleep; unless I happen upon someone selling one with no idea of value, I'll be limited to getting a mono keyboard I think but polychaining it to my desktop...

I was originally looking to get a Mopho keyboard model but I feel that a MEK offers a great deal more flexibility/insanity; money and space are tight issue so I'd be looking at mono whether it be the Mopho or Evolver, I can always expand later (and/or circumvent the Mopho/Evolver not polychaining each other with soft/hardware).

Anyways, I'm fantasising - selling a load of my setup and I'll see how many pennies I have to throw at what options I have Smile

adnauseam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Poly Evolver
Subject description: woops
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

clementshawes wrote:
Back to the equipment, whoever mentioned the poly Evolver owes me a few nights sleep; unless I happen upon someone selling one with no idea of value, I'll be limited to getting a mono keyboard I think but polychaining it to my desktop.

Whoops that was me.

Still been contemplating getting a Poly Key myself.

The MEK offers WAY more fun with the knob twiddling than the desktop ever could. I like the desktop unit for Guitar FX processing, performing midi synced delays, running little sequenced melodies and percussive lines, and it can sit there fairly unobtrusively.

Since getting an MEK my understanding of the Evolver has been expanding (Dare I say "Evolving"?) every day! Best gear purchase of the year!
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Please .. do not react to spam, and most certainly do not quote it ... it makes the job of removing it just harder Confused
clementshawes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know if I should hate you or thank you Wink

I got the desktop as the demos just had a certain sound that I didn't think one could find so easily in software (there's all manner of software instruments for mono synths, classic or not but no 'Evolver').

What I wasn't prepared for was the cost of the PEK or the lack of availability of the MEK.

The only one I can find at the moment is to import from HongKong but I'm of the mind right now that I'd trade pretty much everything towards a MEK or PEK.

clementshawes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Please .. do not react to spam, and most certainly do not quote it ... it makes the job of removing it just harder Confused

Sorry - I don't have much fun in my life at the moment...

adnauseam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Costs Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

clementshawes wrote:
What I wasn't prepared for was the cost of the PEK or the lack of availability of the MEK.

The only one I can find at the moment is to import from HongKong but I'm of the mind right now that I'd trade pretty much everything towards a MEK or PEK.

With the DSI stuff made in the USA there's quite a few floating around for local sale (Craig's List, Ebay.com - US Only) that I've seen.

Fellow poster has mentioned many opportunities in the last year but DSI units up for sale have been sparse lately. Keep watching Ebay if you're really itching. I use the app on my phone Wink

Addendum: don't trade your G2 Smile At the very least, do not trade assuming equal value.
clementshawes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Phone, Android tablet, MacBook, iPad - these are all employed to help me find what I'm after - its the patience to sit there with the money and wait that I lack over buying something to fill the void.

If I don't find something in time, I'll likely go for the mono Mopho keyboard and double-up my Evolver desktop for some duophonic chaos...
But that's me...

adnauseam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Was about to suggest going for a Tetra Key (for the value) but then I remembered DSI never went down that path!
Page 1 of 4 [78 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: