electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Making a polysynth out of Waldorf Rockets
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Making a polysynth out of Waldorf Rockets
Subject description: Non-invasive polysynth idea using ChucK
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've had my Waldorf Rocket a while now, and this idea has grown in my head:

Get three to five more to make a polysynth. I can write a ChucK program to distribute MIDI notes. Plus: the Rocket sends and receives midi for the knobs, meaning I can listen for tweaking on one Rocket, and then pass on the MIDI to the others, keeping them synched up. The Rocket is priced at ~ €220. It won't be the cheapest polysynth around, but considering the analog filters (which I love) it won't be the most expensive either.

An optional extra could be to take the audio input from each Rocket into ChucK and mix them there, adding a VCA to each voice so I can control attack (my biggest gripe with the Rocket).

Also I could add extra envelopes in my ChucK program to control whatever parameter on the Rockets I'd like - like a filter envelope separate from the VCA envelope. Might be some zipper artifacts, but worth a try.

Silly idea?

adnauseam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Making a polysynth out of Waldorf Rockets

Antimon wrote:
I've had my Waldorf Rocket a while now, and this idea has grown in my head:

Get three to five more to make a polysynth. I can write a ChucK program to distribute MIDI notes. Plus: the Rocket sends and receives midi for the knobs, meaning I can listen for tweaking on one Rocket, and then pass on the MIDI to the others, keeping them synched up. The Rocket is priced at ~ €220. It won't be the cheapest polysynth around, but considering the analog filters (which I love) it won't be the most expensive either.

An optional extra could be to take the audio input from each Rocket into ChucK and mix them there, adding a VCA to each voice so I can control attack (my biggest gripe with the Rocket).

Also I could add extra envelopes in my ChucK program to control whatever parameter on the Rockets I'd like - like a filter envelope separate from the VCA envelope. Might be some zipper artifacts, but worth a try.

Silly idea?

Silly but not impossible! Any reason why one wouldn't just go spend a grand on something more useful.. Juno 106? I know you'd be missing the Supersaws and octave split type stuff that the Rocket has.

I've often thought about this kind of configuration. A virtual software "synth" that's really just a midi processor, with some added structure to help you manipulate hardware with extra envelopes, sequencer type interfaces, midi synced lfos, whatever.

So far I've looked at CTRLR, PureData, and now MAX to do something similar.
Antimon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Making a polysynth out of Waldorf Rockets

adnauseam wrote:

Silly but not impossible! Any reason why one wouldn't just go spend a grand on something more useful.. Juno 106? I know you'd be missing the Supersaws and octave split type stuff that the Rocket has.

I've often thought about this kind of configuration. A virtual software "synth" that's really just a midi processor, with some added structure to help you manipulate hardware with extra envelopes, sequencer type interfaces, midi synced lfos, whatever.

So far I've looked at CTRLR, PureData, and now MAX to do something similar.

I'm sure that the Juno 106 is a very nice synth, if I came across one I'd probably check it out. I've never gotten into buying expensive second hand stuff online...

The reason I had this idea was that I'm so happy with the sound coming out of my Rocket. It can do subtle sounds (as well as thick) that I think would work well with polyphony. It's tweak-friendly, and has that cool midi-implementation.

My other analog poly is the Evolver, which is great but not very good at subtle - I think I would be able to do different things with a Rocket stack.

Also, I'll have four monosynths that I like, that I can use to make big arrangements if I want. Plus they would be easier to fit in my limited space, or stow away when I don't need them.

Also the silliness of it all appeals to me. Smile

Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It sounds like a cool idea. Although I would do it all in hardware so it isn't tied to a computer. You could do all the MIDI routing with an Arduino or PIC.

Keep us posted if you do decide to try it. I know a lot of people kept bring up the same idea for the Monotron, but I never saw anyone actually try it.

Keysandslots

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have you looked at the MidiPal from Mutable Instruments? I am doing the same thing you want to do but using a bunch of Shruthis and a MidiPal running the Dispatcher.

Randy
Antimon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for mentioning MidiPal! Looks like a great device, besides doing the kind of midi routing that I want. Smile Doesn't cost a bundle either.
Keysandslots

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're welcome. It is a great little box, along with the other stuff from Mutable.

Randy
Antimon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok so I went crazy and got myself three more Rockets. Wrote a ChucK program for routing to and between them just now (attached). Just spent some time playing, works like a charm. I'll put up some sound samples and maybe a video sometime soon.

Edit: updated the application, fixing a bug with note offs when more than four keys were pressed down.

multirocket.ck
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  multirocket.ck
 Filesize:  3.85 KB
 Downloaded:  526 Time(s)

Last edited by Antimon on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Antimon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a video of me playing.

Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome!

And now you have to sell them all to get a new ipad Sad

modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 275
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's great, a modern 4 voice Smile
Antimon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys. Smile

Yeah the less said about the iPad the better. blackeye For anyone wondering, ask me in chat sometime.

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Brilliant!
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool to see you playing around with your rockets. Does the ChucK script turn the rocket on the right into a control master for the other 3?
Steve
Antimon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MusicMan11712 wrote:
Does the ChucK script turn the rocket on the right into a control master for the other 3?

Exactly! The Rocket sends and receives midi for all knobs and almost all switches (a couple of times you will see me throwing the "boost" switch on all units - that one doesn't work with midi). This was the main reason I did this thing, it really works like a knobby polysynth. Smile

And thanks for the cheers guys! Very Happy

Antimon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can report that you can apply the same principle to an Octatrack with eight identical tracks running machines containing identical single cycle sample loops.

A single cycle machine can be seen as a kind of monosynth, and tracks on the octa send and receive midi for parameters on separate channels So you can connect to them just like you would several Rockets, and have one track control parameters for the rest. Neat!

Antimon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I implemented the attack trick, where I hook up each Rocket to an input on my sound card, and then process the sound in my ChucK program. I implemented a one second attack for each "voice" which is reset on each note.

Fiddling around with this I made a track, which can be found here. The Rocket sound is run through padaver's nice jellyfish analog delay, and I added some other noises, but I think you get the principle.

Antimon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And here's a recording of me fiddling around with the setup for the octatrack. Before the last third I stopped recording and patched up a different sound with some delay, other than that everything is tweaked live using knobs on track 1 (my program picks up the midi that is sent and broadcasts it to the other tracks).

No other effects added here, it's all octatrack, and me clumsily playing on my keyboard while tweaking. Smile

JeEA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi
Will it be possible with two rockets to make a duophonic
synth without changing the Chuck prog You made?

Will the program run on a Windows or Mac computer?

Cheers
Jens
Antimon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JeEA wrote:
Hi
Will it be possible with two rockets to make a duophonic
synth without changing the Chuck prog You made?

Will the program run on a Windows or Mac computer?

Cheers
Jens

Well, you need to change this line at the top:

Code:
Rocket rockets[4];

to:

Code:
Rocket rockets[2];

- that will make it duophonic. That number is basically the amount of monosynths you want to hook up to the program.

Note that you will probably need to modify midi channels and device numbers anyway (all in the top lines of the program), since that will usually differ between setups. Some ChucK coding cannot be avoided. :)

Antimon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And the program should run on both Macs and Windows machines, though I have only tested it on Macs.
JeEA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great!
How are they connected to the computer?
Will I need two midi out from the computer or is one enough and seriel connection?

Cheers
Antimon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can't route through the Rockets unfortunately, I use either a USB hub or a MIDI Solutions Quadra Through.
JeEA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So i connect midi kbd via interface In/out
then the two rockets via usb hub and a usb cable
to each rocket right?

Cheers
Jens
JeEA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just tried to connect the only rocket i have to my Mac.
No reponse. I downloaded Chuck software and Tour program
Just wanted to se if i could send a note. More complicated than i thought.
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: