electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Are electronic instruments unemotional
Page 3 of 3 [67 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

from the cbc

http://www.cbc.ca/witness/silence/crime.html

A Crime Wave in Toronto
An alarming wave of violence is spreading through the Toronto neighborhoods of Regent Park, Rexdale, Scarborough and Jane-Finch. In the past six years over 125 young black males have been murdered in Toronto - one third of the city's homicides.

In the year 2002 the Toronto police laid over 4000 firearms possession charges - a fivefold increase in the last 5 years. In response they've set up a citywide guns and gangs task force. Greg Getty, the unit commander believes the violence is getting worse. "The escalation of firearms in Toronto and the escalation of gangs and the escalation of the drug trade are a very toxic mix. And what's happened is these scores are being settled with guns."

Families that live there are trapped in a vicious circle that breeds hopelessness.

Community organizer Paul Kwasi Kafele contextualizes the problem of black youth violence.

"Living has a meaninglessness to it and a kind of depravity that says 'I am so removed from what this society says is the Canadian Dream that I have to do whatever I can to get what I can now, in the ways that I can." The youth become so desperate, says Kafele, that they really have no concern - or hope - for the future.

paul e.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it's not 1967 when canada may have been a safe refuge from the vietnam war, but now canada is just a 51st state in all regards.....
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sudden wrote:
if the fantasy of canada being the liberal, happy, clean polite, semi-enlightened place some americans make it out to be makes you sleep better..be my guest hehehe

but it ain't true...

Yep. That would be Switzerland.

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
if the fantasy of Switzerland being the liberal, happy, clean polite, semi-enlightened place some Europeans make it out to be makes you sleep better..be my guest hehehe

but it ain't true...

Yep. That would be Neverland. Shocked

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer

Last edited by seraph on Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
if the fantasy of Neverland being the liberal, happy, clean polite, semi-enlightened place some parents make it out to be makes you sleep better..be my guest hehehe

but it ain't true...

Yep. That would be Jackson's bedroom. kiss

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Michael Jackson" wrote:
if the fantasy of Cyx being the conservative, happy, clean polite, semi-enlightened fellow some parents make it out to be makes you sleep better..be my guest hehehe

but it ain't true...

Yep. That would be Cyx running for his life from Jackson's bedroom. kiss

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sure, the CBC is boring, but the news is much better than anything in the US media, including NPR.

At least in Canada you can smoke a joint.

In Michigan, if you smoke a joint and get caught, you can get life in prison. If you are caught and have a few extra ones in your pocket, you probably will get life.

In Canada you can buy ephedrin if you want.

In Canada you can buy perscription meds at less than 1/2 the price we in the US.

In Canada the government didn't go rushing off to war in Iraq.

In Canada you have the Ambient Ping.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
paul e.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
At least in Canada you can smoke a joint.

woah that is news to me..no, still illegal

CBC is ok for news ..BBC is way way better

meds may be cheaper, but they are subsidized by tax dollars...guess who has higher taxes...canada

canada did go rushing off to afghanistan and are also on the ground in iraq altho in small numbers

Quote:
In Canada you have the Ambient Ping

yeah, that is true... rik maclean is a good guy

Cyxeris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
Michael Jackson" wrote:
if the fantasy of Cyx being the conservative, happy, clean polite, semi-enlightened fellow some parents make it out to be makes you sleep better..be my guest hehehe

but it ain't true...

Yep. That would be Cyx running for his life from Jackson's bedroom. kiss

I can live with that. ::tips his hat::

-Napoleon Dynamite
play

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
In Canada you can buy ephedrin if you want.

The plant ephedra grows all over the western US. It looks like a cross between a segmented reed and yucca. I made tea of ephedra and white sage every morning during a backpacking trip in utah. It's also nice to chew, makes your mouth a little numb.

sudden wrote:
guess who has higher taxes...canada

guess who has universal healthcare...canada.

I would gladly pay higher taxes so that everyone can get proper medical care regardless of wealth although a tax increase would probably be uneccesary if we just skimmed a couple billion off the defense budget every year.

Back to topic:
there's no emotional difference in my mind between a guitar and a hammer. Both are inanimate tools and both can be used creatively to provoke emotion. It's human beings that can have a lack of emotion, not tools. I think that people who say synths are unemotional are mistakenly anthropomorphizing and are really stating a personal taste rather than an objective observation.
paul e.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
guess who has universal healthcare...canada.

guess who has inferior health care..and long waiting lines..and the best doctors moving to US..

yup, canada

funnily, these myths about canada are being perpetrated by americans..amusing

heh this is fun

anymore international guessing games Question Wink

Cyxeris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sudden wrote:
funnily, these myths about canada are being perpetrated by americans..amusing. anymore international guessing games Question Wink

Yeah, I'll nail it home on both counts, killing 2 birds with one stone, and not even a guess...

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Can you say BC Bud? I know you can!

-Napoleon Dynamite
paul e.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cyxeris wrote:
sudden wrote:
funnily, these myths about canada are being perpetrated by americans..amusing. anymore international guessing games Question Wink

Yeah, I'll nail it home on both counts, killing 2 birds with one stone, and not even a guess...

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Can you say BC Bud? I know you can!

haha you said it..all the americans just want to get their hands on BC bud..who can blame them

Question

play

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
guess who has inferior health care..and long waiting lines..and the best doctors moving to US..

yup, canada

Well, nothing's perfect...not even in canada ::)
We have better health care for the rich. I sprained my wrist once and it cost me over $400 just to get a $20 splint which I would have bought at a drugstore if I could have. I don;t know the situation there with lines but here it took me an entire day at the emergency room. I went to a clinic first where they refused to treat me because I wasn't a college student and didn't have money. I pleaded with them to sell me a splint but they just ignored me. That's not even close to the horror stories some people have. At least in canada the doctors hold to the hippocratic oath on that point.

Quote:

funnily, these myths about canada are being perpetrated by americans..amusing

can you blame us?
paul e.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i think the native american indians are unhappy
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

were unhappy

we didnt leave too many of them around

Disclaimer: I am not saying the remaining native americans are happy, I'm part native american and I'm not happy, just that we didnt leave many around to be unhappy.

-Napoleon Dynamite
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey... this might be a turningpoint! , that is one way to fight poverty... shoot the poor? Go write your man in congress? MMM... or... please don`t..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 3 of 3 [67 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: