electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Introduce Yourself
New to Music Production (Need help)
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Shasta321

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: New to Music Production (Need help)
Subject description: I'm new to music production, and i need some help.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, i'm new to Music Production, and i have no idea where to start. I was wondering if anyone could point me to good tutorials, and other helpful things that will help me learn to create music. I use FL Studio 11, and i want to create Electronic music and other music in that area.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome to electro-music.com

I know some really great musicians that use FL, so you are off to a good start. I don't know that program myself.

This site seems to have a lot of FL based tutorials, and there are many more sites.

http://howtomakeelectronicmusic.com/tag/fl-studio-tutorial

Unless you find a local teacher, just start making as many tracks as you can. Try to avoid being too self-critical. It's a long road, but after a while, you'll find some direction.

BTW, as admin, I'm moving your post to the Introduce Yourself sub-forum.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shasta321

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for giving me some advice, it's kind of hard going blindly into this. How would you suggest I start making music? What way did you start off, and how did you learn to make full songs that have a good sound? Also, would you say that i need a lot of Music Theory knowledge? Once again, thanks.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had a great teacher, and got a couple of music degrees. I don't think that is necessary to make music though. It certainly won't help you make a living. Smile

Before the formal instruction, used short wave radios because there were no synths one could buy. I would tune into the static between stations and record those sounds while I adjusted the radio's knobs. I had a stereo tape recorder and would record two tracks and then mix them onto another tape recorder. This made what one would call "abstract" electronic music, which is what I was interested in at at that time. '

That method worked for me at the time. You have to discover some method of your own.

You can post your attempts here on the forum by using the attachment mechanism.

I suggest very strongly that you spend a lot of time listening to the music posted here on the forum, as well as on other sites. That will give you ideas.

Don't try for long pieces at first. Make short 2 or 3 minutes tracks, and make a lot of them.

Most important, have fun!!

Right now, tune into radio.electro-music.com for Edison's Electronic Review, (starts at 5 PM EDT), and join the chat room. It's easier to make this journey with friends.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shasta321

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you again for helping me, and thank you for sharing your introduction into music with me. I am very into Artists like Madeon, if you have heard of him. It's a very French Electro type of music, so i'll look out for things on that. Smile
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the heads up about Madeon; I had never heard of him. I see why you are impressed.

So that is French electro. Occasionally I get some bad mouthing that electro-music.com isn't about electro. Maybe that's true, but electro-music isn't necessarily associated with any genre.

Nevertheless, good luck on you journey.

Nickson

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome Shashta321,

I'm using FL studio as well, maybe I could help you out for a bit.

I've recently made a topic with a song that I made using FL studio, you could check it out to see what type of music I make.

Have fun here!
mattgreermusic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: an idea Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As someone who is new to this, you might want to try just emulating some of your favorite songs at first. This might not seem that creative but think of it more as an exercise.

Basically, find a tune you like and just focus on deconstructing and then rebuilding the various elements. What's the kick doing? Identify the pattern and approximate tempo and make your own version of it. This is very easy to do in the pattern step sequencing type interface that FL offers. Just back and forth between your reference track and your own music until it sounds basically the same. Okay, so the kick is right? Move on to the snare, then the hi-hat and so on. Just rebuild the song basically. Once you understand how to program the patterns, you'll have an idea on how to start building a song. From there you can tweak it a little. Change the kick pattern. Slow the tempo. It will start to turn into something of your own. Do one every day (or as often as you can). Keep at it and you will become better and better.

Good luck. Welcome to the addiction.
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Introduce Yourself
Jump to: