electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Integrating Buchla Moog Eurorack & G2
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Per

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Integrating Buchla Moog Eurorack & G2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have expanded my Eurorack modular with a Buckla modular synth. I have tried ways to integrate the Buchla modules with the rest of my setup. Here is a short description of my experiences:
First of all, there are differences gate and CV that has to be handled.
The Buchla 200e series has 1.2 volt/octave instead of 1 volt/octave in the Eurorack and the Moog.
Other CVs, as LFOs, in Eurorack has -5 to + 5 volt. In Buchla, it is 0 to + 10 volt. And the gate i Buchla has an initial trigger of+ 10 volt followed by a + 5 volt. The Eurorack uses same voltage for trig and gate.
And, as a last obstacle, Buchla uses Banana plugs for CV, and Switchcraft tini-jax for audio when Eurorack uses 3,5 mm plugs for both.

But there are ways to handle with these things.
The Eurorack 3,5 mm plugs goes well into the Tini-jax with no problems.So there is no need for new patch cables.
You need a format interface for CV and gate. For guys like me, who destroy everything they want to solder, Low Gain Electronics produces small boxes that connect banana plug cables with 3,5 mm och ¼ plugs.
Positive voltage from the Eurorack system, like envelopes, joystick signals, sequencer outputs and S/H signals can be used directly in Buchla area.
Other CV treatment, like portamento, biasing, CV mixing and so on can also be done in the Eurorack and brought into the Buchla systems.
All this means that owning a Eurorack, a lot of the modules can be used with the Buchla.
Voltage sources with bipolar output, like LFOs, is a bit different. The signal works like if it was a half way rectified, only the positive part of the waveform affects the Buchla modules.
Using a bias of +5 volt, for example in the Doepfer Polarizing mixer makes the signal more useful. But still it is a bit tricky to get it right, and on the right level.
If you want to get exact tracking to your 1 volt/octave there is an excellent converter from Cynovatron, the CVGT 1.
It converts gate/trig and CV from Buchla to Eurorack and from Eurorack to Buchla in the same unit.
I run an Doepfer CV/gate sequencer and a Oberkorn CV/gate sequencer, a random gate output, a clock divider, a clock sequencer, a logic module, and Flame clockwork for making beats and patterns.
As with the portamento, there are no corresponding Buchla modules. ( 3rd part supplier Eardrill make some modules, but that is another story.) With the Cynovatron, I can use all of the gate/trig modules to create signals for the Buchla.
As well as with the Low Gain gear, it must have earth connection to earth output on the Buchla, it is on the back beside the PSU input.
The signal level Between Buchla and Eurorack is not so different, it is possible to use Eurorack VCOs for frequency modulation or sound source in the Buchla system.
The Buchla audio can also be used with Eurorack filters, VCAs and so on. But my experience is that it looses some of it magic punch and meatiness when filtered in the normal subtractive synthesizer way.
To use a Buchla audio signal in the Moog, it has to be attenuated, the same is for CV:s from both Eurorack and Buchla. It is enough with a simple mixer, but the Moogerfogger CP-251 is a good partner when connecting to the Moog Voyager.
I have read a report of a damaged Moogerfogger when using CV from Buchla to control it. The Moogerfogger standard is +/- 3 volt, so a + 10 volt Buchla CV might be too much.
The series of Moggerfoggers has, opposite to other stomp boxes, an attenuate/drive control and a output control that can handle the hot signals from both Buchla and Eurorack, and deliver them back with enough juice. By that , the Moogerfoggers can be used right in the modular signal path.
The Buchla has a module for Midi Control, the Buchla 225e. It can handle four midichannels at the same time, and that will be enough for most Buchla users, as Four VCO Buchlas are quite expensive.
Most of the time, I use a Clavia G2 for controlling all midi and analogue hardware. It works perfect with the Buchla. With some gear, as the Roland XV, I have to merge the G2 midi with the master clock midi from the drum machine. But there is no such problems with the Buchla.
I do love the G2 as a part of the modular system. It´s arsenal of sequencers, pattern generators, random generators, note scaling and midi send modules can drive all my hardware, from Buchla and analog gear to digital Roland Romplers.
Some Buchla mixers has the possibility of four channel panning. And as there are four audio inputs and four audio outputs in the G2, it is possible to build four channel panning and four channel patches in the G2. It is also possible to use the two modulation wheels om the big G2 as a four channel manual pan.
But besides the technical issues,. the integration of them all is also a matter of audio and taste.
The Buchla have a lot of it sound energy. The sounds are big, organic, full of details, exciting modulations and warmth.
They need a bit of solitude to be heard in its full potential. And the big and harsh digital sounds from for example the Roland XV is not a god enviroment for the Buchla sounds. They drown, or has a tendency to sound strange in that enviroment. This is not something I have felt using Moog and Eurorack sounds with the digital Roland stuff.
And the Eurorack and Moog sounds, sorry to say, a bit flat and simple compared to Buchla.
It is a question of taste, I know, but there is something I did not count on when I begun the Buchla project.
But I guess it is something to work on.
Per Wikstrom

20140917_213553.jpg
 Description:
Studio, Clavia G2 laptop in the middle.
 Filesize:  4.64 MB
 Viewed:  411 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

20140917_213553.jpg

Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: