electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Cant get editor to recognize micro
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Gothboy

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Cant get editor to recognize micro Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's been a long time since my last post here sorry for the absence! Hello to my friends here at EM!

I've had the 3.03 editor running on my G4(dedicated for just editing) running Tiger for a few years…but the PRAM battery ran out so while I wait for that to arrive I got out my old Mac Performa 6360 which previously ran the editor in 8.6. Everything is as it was trouble is I can't get it to find the Micro…it just says "still looking" forever Rolling Eyes

The setup is thus: Micro PC double outs to Opcode Studio 3 using both modem and printer ports>Performa with OMS installed Apple talk off. Micromodular selected in Port 4 of the editor. Looked at the manual not much there…..can't remember if this is the right way. Again this setup just runs the editor. All my recording is done on MacPro. What am I missing here?

Novation SL49/Remote Zero
Mophox4, Nord Lead 2, Roland System 1, Novation Nova, Nord Micro modular, Korg Radias, Roland d-05, Yamaha A3000 sampler, Novation SL MK2 and Remote Zero controllers, Arturia Beatstep and SparkLE

"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Dymaxion Vehicle Music at www.dymaxionvehicle.com/
zedkah

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject:
Subject description: NEW TO THIS AND HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I bought a micro mod a few days ago. I have managed to play with the sounds that are loaded into it and to play them via midi out of another synth. So I am assuming that the thing is fully working. It comes up with a 3 when it is powered. I have loaded the editor from the Nord site into a windows7 64 bit pc and a ubuntu studio laptop. both seem to run the editor ok. when I try to get the editor to connect with the micro modular I am getting the "looking...//...still looking" messages.

I had a look at the previous posts on this and realise there is a few things I need to try. I am trying to use an alesis midi to usb connector but maybe this isnt good enough and I need a midisport 2x2. I have tried going through the Mbox pro but I cant get this to work either.I am out of my depth with this midi port stuff so I am trying different options until hopefully something clicks and it works.
Some previous replies have said to check midi ports isnt claimed by another program. How// where do I start to look to find this out?

I know I need to play around with compatability settings as well.

any tips?

richard
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: NEW TO THIS AND HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

zedkah wrote:
How// where do I start to look to find this out?

Welcome Richard.

The idea is that some DAW software can clain MIDI ports - so as long as you dont run anything like that it probsbly is not claimed, anyway, it would have the be software that uses MIDI.

And yeah .. it's not easy to find a working setup .. apoart from the MidiSport my Edirol UM-3ex works fine under win8-64.

Other things :

try different MIDI cables
try shorter MIDI cables (although mine are like 5 m currently).

zedkah

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks....Just a couple of hours trying so far. need to get over the wall and into that garden. All tips and thoughts welcome..even ones that presume im an idiot..have a guitarists knowledge of midi right now.

richard
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are nice midi guitars around Smile

And prolly I am the idiot with all those speling issues Shocked

zedkah

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So im waiting until i get some different midi routes to try out, borrow some other leads to test etc. I am still having a lot of fun with the micro - and what the previous owner put in it. Has its own character and sound fingerprint.

BUT why does it have a note trigger that needs 2 button presses? One being the shift key which then denys you access to the 3 parameter knobs??? I know that using the micro as a noise trigger would be a pretty reductive way to use it but I still think this migh be a pretty valid method. hammering the trigger , especially when some kind of filter is sweeping on its own clock, can sound great.you can appreciate that the sound is being generated and not simpy played back.

perhaps there is a note trigger mod that can be done...or is talk like that blasphemy round here?
zedkah

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just to update.

Have got it all working and am hooked fiddling with patches. what a great little synth. Most of the patches you can download are understandably a bit of their era, if you know what I mean. Punchy synth basses etc.... even as a beginner I found it easy enough to pull patches into longer and grittier drones ( ok this might be another cliche but its the one im signed up to). I worked out a neat trick to use three cross fades mapped to the 3 knobs to control 4 noise layers.

The midisport 2x2 did the trick. I picked one up off ebay for £20. Had to seek out the right driver (i have windows 8 64-bit) I used this one
http://www.m-audio.com/support/download/drivers/midisport-windows-driver-v6.1.3

Right clicked on the editor icon and clicked on 'troubleshoot compatibility' ....it recommended going with xp servpkII mode...so I just went with that.

You know when you are nearly there as the green leds on the midiman start to flash.

connected 'PC in' on the MM to 'out A' on the midi man
connected 'PC out' to 'in A' on the front of the midi box

(I mention this as I was doing it wrong to start with in-to-in and out-to-out. that was the guitarist knowledge of midi)

Can anyone recommend a good patch for organ tones for the micro? preferably ones that give 3 note poly?

thanks,

r
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool

Yeah the win8 troubleshooter often works!

Anyway, great you are fiddling now.

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: