electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos » Ambiophonic Sound Reproduction
Space and Zentrum
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Shike

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Space and Zentrum Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Greetings,

I have a quick question about the space and zentrum controls and how they relate to bass production. Basically, I've been trying to equalize frequencies below 200Hz using a PEQ VST and REW. When space and zentrum are set to zero it seems all bass sent to my subwoofer is killed, even maxing out the power can barely get anything.

Can you give me an idea what these items are actually adjusting? Does the Space control add any reverb, or is it adjusting gains, xover, delays? Basically I'm looking for the least colored while not killing my subwoofer off . . .

Thanks for any information you can provide.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shike, welcome to electro-music.com

Sorry, I missed your post until now.

I suggest you take a look at this post: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-63870.html

Your question itself verifies the comments made by Vozka. I suggest you try these settings:

Recursion: 0 but never more than 30%
Space: 10
Zentrum: 2
Delay: about 70

Or, just use the Pop preset.

Except for the recursion control, there is no reverb-like effect in the plugin.

Zentrum controls the amount of the "center stage". On Pop music it will move the lead singer's volume up and down. At -10, it's very much like Karaoke. At +10 it's only the center. 0 is technically neutral, but I use somewhere between +1 and +6, depending on the recording.

Again, I apologize for the late response.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking at what Vozka has wrote, I believe there should be a default setting as close to neutral as possible with the understanding it will be adjusted to add delay/RACE.

After reading the manual another time though I believed that's what the intent behind the classical setting was being a progression of the TacT Ver F - which I then ended up using and correcting below transition (200hz). Do let me know if I'm wrong on this though.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, Vozka's suggestion was a good one. The presets are suggestions for the best settings. I prefer the pop setting, others like the classical preset. To me pop sounds more neutral. You can switch bypass off/on to hear the effect.

The Space control is the primary control for the cross talk canceling circuit as you observed correctly. I suggest start at 10 (full on) and if there is too much bass, back it off towards 5. Then move the Zentrum control from 0 towards +5 until the center stage is as you like.

I don't know what TacT ver F is, unfortunately. Is this an equalizer? If so, use it by ear. I use EQ to cancel the primary room resonance. If I had a better room, maybe I wouldn't use any EQ.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I don't know what TacT ver F is, unfortunately. Is this an equalizer? If so, use it by ear. I use EQ to cancel the primary room resonance. If I had a better room, maybe I wouldn't use any EQ.

Sorry, I should have said Race ver F. In the manual it says:

Quote:
“Classical/movie” – preferred by co-developer Robin Miller for classical music and movies, this neutral algorithm combines lowest coloration with substantial widening of the listening stage for natural sound. Also called “RACE version G,” Recursive Ambiophonic Crosstalk Eliminator has been implemented (as prior version F) in TacT® pre-processors, pro audio workstations, and recording/broadcast

I then use a peq to correct below 200Hz with my calibrated mic abd rew.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, I see. Glad it works for you.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos » Ambiophonic Sound Reproduction
Jump to: