electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Unsure if ChucK will fit my proposed project.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
LordFenty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Unsure if ChucK will fit my proposed project. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a project I want to begin, but before I invest much time I want to ensure I am using the correct tools / approach, to check that the whole project is viable - hence this question about ChucK.

I am a computer programmer by trade rather than a musician, but want to create music (typically "pop" melodies, rather than orchestral "classical" music). This would be "programmed" / algorithmic music, in that I would write a script (e.g. in JavaScript, Python, etc) to design / compose the music initially (perhaps writing it to MusicXML or ChucK or some other music-based scripting language or tool), and then listen, modify and tweak that in a DAW package of some kind (initially likely Audacity, but later perhaps a premium package) if I feel I need to add a personal human touch. I would like to be able to use standard freely available samples (e.g. of percussion instruments or of lead instruments such as guitar, piano, etc), or purchase a pack of samples if available.

If the project succeeds, I would presumably upgrade up to paid sample packs / more professional tools (inc. DAW packages, VST instruments and so on) as it evolves. But I want to start cheap / small, until I am sure that the project can actually work in terms of a proof-of-concept. I would prefer to work with samples / VST instruments (as I understand them) than to construct my own mathematically however, as that is not currently where my strength (in terms of "technical" music / sound knowledge) lies.

I do not currently read sheet music, and have no great need for notation software, unless it helps to convert from one format / layout to another.

I have read through much of the ChucK documentation inc. some of the tutorials, but am unclear how to use my own particular samples of instruments, to direct the sound, rather than constructing them in each script. I must admit that I have found the tutorial / introductory information on the ChucK site difficult for the complete beginner such as myself, and have struggled to gauge if this tool fits my proposed project.

So, would ChucK fit my needs, or I am looking at the wrong tool ? Many thanks for your thoughts.
Sinusoidal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It sounds like you want to make fairly conventional melodies and rhythms, but you want to do it in code rather than a sequencer?

If that's the case, ChucK is not the most conducive software for conventional song structures. I'd recommend taking a look at CSound.
minuskelvin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Or supercollider. There's a bunch of utilities there for sequence generation and algorithmic music.

http://doc.sccode.org/Tutorials/Getting-Started/16-Sequencing-with-Patterns.html
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Jump to: