electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The Repair Shop
Muteable instruments module tester problems
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
bamboombaps

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject: Muteable instruments module tester problems Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ive inherited a previously DIY'd module tester and it has issues

When i power it up it lights up but the lcd is unreadable, on full block similar to this (not mine) http://mutable-instruments.net/forum/uploads/thumbnails/FileUpload/e7/b248f7ea3fa35f97ed5766cf283d85.jpg.

adjusting the contrast trimmer does not help, but it does adjust the brightness.

I compared the behaviour of the menus on a working unit and the behaviour on the broken unit seems to mirror that of the menus on the working one. ie if there are 4 options to cycle on the working one, there are 4 'states' to cycle through on the dodgy one, before there's no change.

The leds do not light up at all. i tested spare leds against the leads of those installed to see if they had been installed incorrectly, but no dice

when i plug a lead into the audio out socket there is an output tone. due to the faulty lcd screen i dont know how to find the menu to attempt to adjust it.

the previous owner suggested he may have fried the chip but no info beyond that other that he had never got it working

ive tried the muteable forum but nothing so far, i may try creating a new topic rather than just posting on a long dead build thread...
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pull all the ICs and check the basics. Power, component orientation, continuity, values. If the microprocessor is dodgy -- have you tried a known-good one?
bamboombaps

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is resolved. it was a shady screen and a dodgy psu!

all working now
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The Repair Shop
Jump to: