electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Best synthesis option for the production of Dubstep?
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
TurtleEnzo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject:  Best synthesis option for the production of Dubstep?
Subject description: What is the best synthesis option between modular and digital synthesis?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey everyone!

For a school project, I am looking at the difference between digital and modular synthesis, and which form is better for a 'novice' producer looking to create Dubstep.

I have produced a survey, and would very much appreciate it if you would all take the time to complete it. It should only take a few minutes.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/KRV7HFP

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know! The more information, the better!

Anyway, thank you. Smile
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Erm .. what exactly is the difference between digital and modular?

I mean you seem to oppose these .. but digital modular is just what I've been doing for quite a while now. As in not only analogs are modular and not all analogs are modular either .. Shocked

TurtleEnzo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Erm .. what exactly is the difference between digital and modular?

I mean you seem to oppose these .. but digital modular is just what I've been doing for quite a while now. As in not only analogs are modular and not all analogs are modular either .. Shocked
I guess I meant that digital synthesis are VSTs and plugins that'd you'd use within a DAW, and modular synthesis is looking at hardware.

I suppose the difference I'm looking at is software vs hardware.
TurtleEnzo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have updated the survey to look at the differences between digital and analogue, rather than modular. I'm still new to all this, so thanks for pointing it out. Smile
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TurtleEnzo wrote:
I have updated the survey to look at the differences between digital and analogue, rather than modular. I'm still new to all this, so thanks for pointing it out. Smile
I completed your survey and tried to call attention to some other issues with it. I didn't copy the survey, so I cannot repeat the issues here.
Steve
soundwave106

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Best synthesis option for the production of Dubstep?
Subject description: What is the best synthesis option between modular and digital synthesis?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TurtleEnzo wrote:
For a school project, I am looking at the difference between digital and modular synthesis, and which form is better for a 'novice' producer looking to create Dubstep.

"Digital synthesis vs analog synthesis" generally refers to synthesis using software (digital) vs. synthesis entirely using dedicated electronic circuits (analogue). All software synthesizers (eg synthesizers that are run on a general computing device) are digital by definition. Some hardware is also dedicated digital synthesis as well, as the hardware is there only to run code.

"Modular" merely means that the component parts of the synthesizer are broken out. This can refer to both hardware and software. There actually is digital modular hardware as well as analog. There is also software modular synthesizers.

Generally speaking, dubstep relies a *lot* on DAW oriented automation, particularly clocked modulation (for example, setting a clocked LFO on a filter at various ratios and then turning this modulation on and off). This makes software synthesizers the defacto best choice for a novice dubstep producer. It is possible to do some of this with certain external hardware as well but it isn't as easy.
AlexBoyKing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Plugins are fine Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bro Plugins VSTs are just fine. Use Serum. It's the best one right now. Best VST hands down. Even supported by DeadMau5. Read more about it on MMF or visit their main site at Serum by XferRecords
Last edited by AlexBoyKing on Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total
YYY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: dubstep Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi TurtleEnzo,
for creating dubstep sound, you should consider Fm, Phase modulation synthesis, wavefolder, filter modulation. it's the key for all growls and wobble. youtube is your "friend", you have a lot of tutorial around, and don't forget to experiment.
have fun
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: