electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Where do sounds like this come from?
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ulrichburke

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Where do sounds like this come from?
Subject description: The idea being I can't mix a track until I have the sounds to write it...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dear Anyone.

OK. Two YouTube links coming up. The first one looks like I'm - um - extracting the Michael with the length of the track but you can hear all the sounds I'm interested in, within the first 30 seconds - honest!

The second one's a bit different - it's the pad sound in the MIDDLE of the track I'd love to get hold of. It's lead instrument, rhythm section, pad-as-jam-in-sandwich. I'd LOVE to know how to create/get my hands on these kinda sounds. I'm pretty sure they're presets on SOMETHING - but what? (Er- the cheaper the better at the moment! Yes I'm sure Omnisphere 2 would have them but that's kinda waay outside of my price range.) I'd be happy with similar and, in the case of the second one, he uses pretty much the same wallpaper pad sound on EVERY TRACK, give or take, so it's gotta be a preset on SOMETHING - and because it's a wallpaper track, there to give background to the other sounds, not necessarily to be noticed per se - similar on a cheapie/freebie would be great. It's just all the 'pads' I've got sound like reject Star Wars special effects and stick out like sore thumbs. Anyway, here's the links....

The L-O-O-N-G track (but you only need to listen to 30 seconds of it) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xklA8_yNPmQ (It's Yellow Brick Cinema).

The track with pad-as-jam-in-sandwich... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsvQ4oUMAJU It's Med Goodall, Medicine Woman, you'll hear the pad inside the first 10 seconds. I'll happily admit I'm - er - not good at anything synthy so, till I learn more about sound creation, I'd be happy with just a bunch of presets to practice using and tweaking...

Yours hopefully

Chris.
soundwave106

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do sounds like this come from?
Subject description: The idea being I can't mix a track until I have the sounds to write it...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not sure I can identify *exact* synths, but I can perhaps give some hints. The first sound would be described as "choral pad" or "voice pad" in most synths. Yes, Omnisphere unfortunately is the closest softsynth I'd say matches. To be honest, it sounds more like the choral pads you find in the Korg Trinity / Triton / Kronos series, which is even less helpful. Just listen to this Kronos example for instance. Perhaps someone out there knows a good cheap option to get pads in this direction.

The second sound is usually characterized as "warm analog pad" or something along those lines. Here, there may be a free one that can do it -- TAL-UNO-62 is a VST that imitates the Juno line of synths, and the Junos could easily do that sort of sound. So maybe that will help.
ulrichburke

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Do you think the HG Fortune synths could do these sounds? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dear soundwave 106 et al.

Do you think the HG Fortune VSTs could do the sounds I talked about in the O.P? They SOUND like they COULD do but I'm not good at synth-sound-from-scratch making yet and I don't want to be the prratt who bats his head against a wall trying to make a sound on a synth that actually can't make it!

Yours respectfully

Chris.
soundwave106

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not too familiar with that one but it does look like from that collection Serenity would fit the bill. Also DSK ChoirZ is another one I stumbled on Googling that looks like it would work well.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: