electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
  host / artist show at your time
today> Modulator ESP Adventures In Sound
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
It's been a while, but I'm back with a new project
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [31 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Broadwave

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: It's been a while, but I'm back with a new project Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sunday 6th November 2016.

Ahhh, it's good to be back - Had a few health problems that have now been sorted (Long story, BP II diagnosis... something that I should have had sorted years ago - But at least I feel like I've got my old head back on).

So, to kick off - As they now do digital printing direct to aluminium, I've ordered a printed/cut panel from Front Panel Express for a new project. The panel cost £226, which is a good incentive to make sure I complete the new synth Wink

I had a bunch of ARP VCOs, a Moog Filter and a couple of Roland ADSR PCBs hanging around so I'm putting them to use in a build that's reminiscent of the Odyssey, but with a 3rd VCO and patch points, the sloping panel is inspired by Korg's Minilogue. I've kept the ARPs PPC, as I get on well with it, but I'll be using small round FSR for pressure detecting - I've used them on past Oddy fixes as they have a really nice response.

There's not much else to say until the panel arrives and I can start with the Pot/Switch/Socket mounting PCBs.

I'll use this thread as a build log and supply as much info as I can, as I go along.

Sparta Final Artwork JPG.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  559.1 KB
 Viewed:  349 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Sparta Final Artwork JPG.jpg

Synth DIY Projects

Musical Doodlings

Last edited by Broadwave on Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:53 am; edited 2 times in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome back.

Looks like that's going to be a nice synth :-)

ringroad

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice, looks really good.

I'm really interested to see how the panel turns out, haven't seen any decent examples of the FPE printing direct to aluminium.
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We never met, so welcome back and it's nice to meet you! Do you have any interest in ChucK or 3D printing? The latter is my "current" passion!

Les

Broadwave

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Friday 11th November 2016.

Inventor wrote:
We never met, so welcome back and it's nice to meet you! Do you have any interest in ChucK or 3D printing? The latter is my "current" passion!

Les

Hi Les, 3D printing something I need to look into at some time, now that it's more affordable.

For some reason the panel design was rejected - my fault, something to do with the cutout DXF. Luckily, it's given me the chance to shift things around a bit.

I've decided to use a "Drop-In" CME Xkey 37 instead of tearing down a 4 oct keybed from a cheap MIDI controller. It'll make things much easier. I'm used to the Xkey as I have one for my iPad.

I'm hoping I can lower the profile, depending on the PSU I use - I'd like it to be as sleek looking as possible.

I'll need to find a simple 3D drawing app so I can get a better idea of the all round design. Flat is so 12th century Wink

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Synth DIY Projects

Musical Doodlings

Last edited by Broadwave on Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Broadwave

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sunday 13th November 2016.

Most of the plug-in modules are drawn up and boards ready to etch. I've just got the keyboard side of things to do (MIDI to CV/Portamento/Aftertouch/Mod) The three main "carrier" PCBs also still need to be done, I've got quite a bit of thinking to do on these, as I've got to take into consideration the send/returns to the patch sockets - I may mount the sockets on a separate board and connect them to the CV switches via ribbon cables.

The mounting board for the VCF is capable of taking different designs - The ARP 4072 is in as standard, but If I want to plug in a Minimoog filter, I just lift up the front panel and plug it in (although I may change this later so VCFs can be plugged in directly to the rear panel)

Synth DIY Projects

Musical Doodlings
Broadwave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wednesday 16th November 2016.

Completed the costing, and all remaining components are ordered - Total build cost should come in at around £528, which includes photo PCB, developer, etchant, all the mounting hardware etc.

Still working on the remaining carrier boards Rolling Eyes

VCO carrier board

Synth DIY Projects

Musical Doodlings

Last edited by Broadwave on Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Broadwave

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Monday 21st November 2016

The panel has just arrived. It's ok - the digital print is a bit low rez, but good enough for a home brew Wink Everything seems to line up, so I can start the PCBs now.

Synth DIY Projects

Musical Doodlings
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi , that looks great ,nice build in progress , i get the same print effect on the vinyl stickers i get done for my blue modular , even under a meter away it looks fine Smile .

Dave.
Broadwave

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sunday 27th November 2016

The module boards are done, drilled and plated - I'm waiting for a wooden box and fluorescent light fittings/UVA lamps to arrive before I can make the 3 large boards - My current UV box is too small Rolling Eyes

Synth DIY Projects

Musical Doodlings
Broadwave

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tuesday 29th November 2016

VCOs are stuffed and ready for testing. Fully discrete versions of the Odyssey MKIII VCO - No Op-Amps here thank you, easy to build, reliable and very stable Wink

The CMOS 4011's clean up and boost the squarewave to 0-10v for the ARP Ring Mod (on the larger board), also based around a 4011.

Out of interest - The size of my complete Odyssey VCO compared to the 2600 4027-1 VCO Saw Core submodule

Synth DIY Projects

Musical Doodlings
Broadwave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wednesday November 30th 2016

All the plug-in modules are built - testing begins tomorrow. Still waiting for a few UV tubes to arrive, so I can get on and build the bigger exposure box. Can't do much until then Rolling Eyes

Synth DIY Projects

Musical Doodlings
L´Andratté

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I´ll keep my eyes on your approach to such a big project!
For the moment just WOW Shocked
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Broadwave,

You are really organized! Such a large project would be a tossed around mess in my lab! Nice plan of action too - keep us posted!

Les

Broadwave

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Inventor - Thanks, I guess it helps to be slightly bonkers, but I'm not always that tidy - organized chaos usually rules Wink

The 3 main carrier boards were way to big (200 x 220mm) to make using my current Lightbox. So, one of two solutions...

1 x "Decoupage" Box - £14.99
3 x 12" Fluorescent Light Fittings - £22.50
3 x UV "Flykiller" Tubes - £8.79
1 x Aluminum "Crinkle" Sheet - £8.99
Glass sheet & 2 bits of MDF - From the back of the shed

Build cost £55.45... or you could buy a "Professional" one with a similar surface area for £340 Shocked Shocked

It works very well, but to be on the safe side, I'll add a 4th tube, as I had to rotate the board half way through exposure (the outside edges on the test PCB was under exposed)

Synth DIY Projects

Musical Doodlings
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice uv box , certianly making a saving building your own one , cool Smile

Keep up this great build thread, it is inspiring me to build something again Smile.

Dave.
Broadwave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tuesday December 6th 2016

VCO board complete and tested - All working fine Very Happy Very Happy

LFO and VCF board tomorrow.

Synth DIY Projects

Musical Doodlings
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looks great!
one question: how did you do the tin plating ?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yay! Zero ohm resistors! (First saw those tracing back Lovetone boards.)

Very, very slick design work and execution.
Broadwave

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
looks great!
one question: how did you do the tin plating ?

"Immerse" Tin Plating Wink

It's worth doing to help the solder flow and get a good joint

AlanP wrote:
Yay! Zero ohm resistors! (First saw those tracing back Lovetone boards.)

So much easier than fiddling around with bits of wire. I may try double sided boards in the future... If I can pluck up the courage.

Synth DIY Projects

Musical Doodlings
L´Andratté

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What a great project! Popcorn time

Edit: Broadwave could you point me to a place to look for those pin headers and sockets you are using (or a search term), mouser gives me several thousend search results for pin header (as usual), don´t know where to look...
I´m using ribbon cable for those duties atm, but your way looks so much more neat!
Broadwave

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

L´Andratté wrote:
What a great project! Popcorn time

Edit: Broadwave could you point me to a place to look for those pin headers and sockets you are using

2.54mm Pin Headers
2.54mm Pin Sockets

These particular Pin Headers 20mm long, so they give plenty of space underneath if your PCBs are mounted "tracks up" like mine.

I buy them in 36 pin rows, and just snap them off for the length I need.

The sockets are available in many lengths, but again you can cut them down to size if you're careful Wink

The remaining rows of pins you can see are for mounting stripboard to carry the CV/Audio signals from one main PCB to the other - It's a neat and simple solution I "borrowed" from the ARP Odyssey. I was originally going to use ribbon cable, which would have been easier, but I think it may have introduced too much cross-talk.

Synth DIY Projects

Musical Doodlings
Broadwave

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Friday 8th December 2016 - Not a bad months work Wink

LFO/Noise/S&H/VCF modules checked and working (ARP 4035/4075 are built - Minimoog and Roland M121 are on the way). They'll be accessible from the back panel for easy swap-out - the hideous wire links are only temporary.

I've still not decided on which drive circuit to use yet, but I may end up with the 2600 pre-amp as it's great for overdriving external signals too.

Everything else is now working and ready for the final push, all the carrier PCBs fit the panel perfectly, so I can breath a sigh of relief Smile

I'm just waiting for quotes for the 2mm aluminum chassis, but I may still end up making it out of MDF.

Synth DIY Projects

Musical Doodlings
Cfish

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow Broadwave. This just gets more and more impresive. Makes my builds look like a kindergartner's finger painting's, and not the smart kindergartner, the one mixing his boogers with glue before he eats um.
Broadwave

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cfish wrote:
and not the smart kindergartner, the one mixing his boogers with glue before he eats um.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

It's difficult to explain how my head works sometimes... As I mentioned in the opening post, I've finally been diagnosed (and treated) for Bi-Polar II disorder.

Without bringing the mood of thread down, I'm relieved to say that depressive moments are now very few and far between, but I decided not to take medication for the Manic episodes, as it's these wonderful moments that enable me to do daft stuff like this build.

For some reason, during this time, things in my mind become absolutely crystal clear - I can read and understand a circuit diagram, I can draw up a PCB layout etc. but also become slightly more than obsessed with a project Twisted Evil It's really weird, but I can only do these things when I'm "Up", so I always make the most of these episodes.

Personally, being BP isn't all bad - I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who can benefit from it. Anyway, I'm rambling, and I've got a PSU that needs to be built Wink

Oh, yeah... I almost forgot. It's alive! Just a few silly mistakes to fix Embarassed Noise level is way too high (there's quite a bit of bleed into the mixer - although it may also be just a noisy VCA), and the Noise/VCO 3 select switch is reversed in the LFO/S&H section.

Synth DIY Projects

Musical Doodlings
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [31 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: