electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
The Garden
Page 6 of 23 [557 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 21, 22, 23 Next
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It has it's own private light now. Cool

Balcony 2018 - seed starting - 08.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  140.03 KB
 Viewed:  548 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Balcony 2018 - seed starting - 08.jpg

Balcony 2018 - seed starting - 09.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  131.69 KB
 Viewed:  508 Time(s)

Balcony 2018 - seed starting - 09.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

another Numex Twilight woke up Very Happy
now they can grow up together.

Balcony 2018 - seed starting - 10.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  326.92 KB
 Viewed:  545 Time(s)

Balcony 2018 - seed starting - 10.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another pepper seed sprouted, this time it's a Kung pao Razz
(I am not going to take photos of every sprouted seed, unless someone insists).

I should also get something else today, but I will update when/if I get it.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got it. (most of it is probably packaging material)

Question

what's in the box.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  252.15 KB
 Viewed:  491 Time(s)

what's in the box.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In the box are the plants I ordered for my Garden Of Live Flowers. Sadly the Delphinium belladonna picollo is
no longer available. However, these were the most expensive plants and I had to order three of them while I
only have room for one, so I don't really mind actually. What I did get is the Viola 'Icy but Spicy'. (they don't
look like much now but that is to be expected this time of year) and the Rosa 'Nina Weibull', which instantly
attacked me and drew blood. It's actually larger then I expected considering it only cost €1,90 Razz
I don't know how well it will grow on my balcony but with such a low price it's worth trying.

Sticking with the Alice in Wonderland theme there is something else I have been thinking about. I have
a scrap piece of vinyl that has a black and white checkered pattern. (I used some of it for a table which
you can find here) I just measured it and I still have plenty to cover my balcony with it. It would be quite
a hassle though as I will have to clean out my balcony and the only place I can move stuff to is inside.
The big container which I use for the witchgarden is probably too heavy and I doubt it will even fit through
my backdoor (without tipping). I could completely empty it out, but I'd rater not and could just cut the
vinyl a bit shorter. That part is actually not really visible anyway.

Years ago I also got myself a 'Maxi Chess' set, which is just an oversized chess set. The board is printed on
a piece of thin vinyl (same as used for inflatable stuff) that measures 80x80cm. The large (plastic) pieces are
about 10cm in height with the king maxing out at almost 13cm. Not sure what to do with it yet but it does fit
very well with the theme.

GOLF - Viola icy but spicy.jpg
 Description:
Viola 'Icy but Spicy'
 Filesize:  315.88 KB
 Viewed:  491 Time(s)

GOLF - Viola icy but spicy.jpg

GOLF - Rosa Nina Weibull.jpg
 Description:
Rosa 'Nina Weibull'
 Filesize:  235.79 KB
 Viewed:  540 Time(s)

GOLF - Rosa Nina Weibull.jpg

AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Think I might start some pepper plants in August. Can't do it now, we're going into winter at the time of writing.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hope I'll be harvesting by august but I think that is the right time to start for you.
I could send you some seeds if you want.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd actually have some options on how to cut the vinyl. So I played around a bit with photoshop
to give me an idea of how it could look. I'm not sure if the piece I have is large enough for
the diagonal cut but I do like the look of D, although it might make the balcony look a bit smaller.

edit: I could also do a combination of D and E with one side half black squares and the other half
white. I guess I'll have to start photoshop again to see how that looks.

checkerboardtests.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  90.91 KB
 Viewed:  477 Time(s)

checkerboardtests.jpg

Last edited by PHOBoS on Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I made some photos of the vinyl so I could recreate it to scale in photoshop. That way I can easily move it around
to see what would fit. There is a piece missing that I used for the table but it is in the corner that I would have to
remove anyway and won't be visible. Sadly, the piece is not large enough to cut diagonally,.. or is it ?

It's too small to use at a 45 degree angle, but since it is Alice in Wonderland themed why not go a bit mad and
place it at a different angle Laughing This might actually result in the balcony looking skewed. I tried some angles
that are easy to cut. 45 degrees would be cutting a 1x1 square diagonally so I tried 1x2, 1x3, 1x4, 1x5, 1x6, 1x7
and 1x8. It's still too small for 1x2 and 1x3 but 1x4 and up work. 1x6 and up might be a bit difficult to cut though.

checkerboardtests2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  93.66 KB
 Viewed:  444 Time(s)

checkerboardtests2.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Apparently I miscounted the squares when I drew it in photoshop as it is actually 2 squares longer. This doesn't
change anything for the angle though as that is limited by its width. It does mean it can cover the whole balcony
without the part missing in the top corner but I will still have to remove a bit anyway. I've almost finished emptying
out and cleaning all the unused containers, that is containers that don't have any plants growing in them anymore.
It looks like the temperature is going to drop again, even below freezing at night, but if we get a bit of sun this
weekend I might be able to clear out my balcony, give it a good scrub and place the vinyl to see how it looks.

The germinated Kung Pao seed was stuck in its seed shell (helmet head) but with a bit of careful surgery, involving
a pair of tweezers and some nailclippers, I was able to remove it without too much damage. None of the other seeds
have sprouted so I soaked some new ones overnight in a water + peroxide solution. I just put them in coffeefilters
inside ziplock bags and placed them inside my incubator. This method worked great last year for the morning glory seeds.

The snapdragons I grew last year have actually survived the winter so far Razz I thought they were annuals and definitely
did not expect them to survive but they are putting out some new growth. So I pruned them and removed some of the
thin leggy plants. I might have some extra flowers this year.

Balcony 2018 - Snap Dragons 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  369.17 KB
 Viewed:  357 Time(s)

Balcony 2018 - Snap Dragons 01.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
It looks like the temperature is going to drop again, even below freezing at night, but if we get a bit of sun this
weekend I might be able to clear out my balcony, give it a good scrub and place the vinyl to see how it looks.

We got some sun today so that's what I did and I am pretty happy with the result. Razz
I have a small greenhouse I want to put up temporary, but the temperature first has to rise again before it's worth sowing anything.

GOLF - checkered - 02.jpg
 Description:
cleared not cleaned
 Filesize:  269.54 KB
 Viewed:  361 Time(s)

GOLF - checkered - 02.jpg

GOLF - checkered - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  180.17 KB
 Viewed:  321 Time(s)

GOLF - checkered - 03.jpg

GOLF - checkered - 04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  145.95 KB
 Viewed:  360 Time(s)

GOLF - checkered - 04.jpg

GOLF - checkered - 05.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  224.99 KB
 Viewed:  327 Time(s)

GOLF - checkered - 05.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just spotted some buds on the Solanum dulcamara (climbing nightshade). I am really happy to see it survived the winter Razz
Hope it will produce some flowers and berries this year.

I also put up the greenhouse earlier this week as it is already useful to shield some plants from the cold a bit.

Balcony 2018 - Solanum dulcamara - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  166.58 KB
 Viewed:  294 Time(s)

Balcony 2018 - Solanum dulcamara - 01.jpg

Balcony 2018 - Solanum dulcamara - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  193.24 KB
 Viewed:  297 Time(s)

Balcony 2018 - Solanum dulcamara - 02.jpg

Balcony 2018 - Greenhouse - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  265.42 KB
 Viewed:  277 Time(s)

Balcony 2018 - Greenhouse - 01.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Today seemed like a nice day to put some seeds in the ground. I just hope we won't get a long cold period again
but that's always a bit of a gamble. So the following seeds are planted:
- Antirrhinum majus "Circus Clowns" (Snapdragons)
- Phlox drummondii "Twinkle Star"
- Nigella damascena "Miss Jekyll blue" (love-in-a-mist)
- phacelia tanacetifolia (this one invited itself last year and attracted a lot of bees)
I had some Silene nutans (Nottingham catchfly) seeds left so put those in the ground as well.

And another seed mix. Last year I had a butterfly seed mix which did really great, this year I have a bee seed mix.
If we get some warmer weather the bees might actually start appearing again in the next couple of weeks.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
If we get some warmer weather the bees might actually start appearing again in the next couple of weeks.

well, that didn't take very long. The males are already out (recognizable by their little white 'mustache') and waiting for females.

Balcony 2018 - Mason bees - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  164.61 KB
 Viewed:  320 Time(s)

Balcony 2018 - Mason bees - 03.jpg

Balcony 2018 - Mason bees - 04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.17 MB
 Viewed:  310 Time(s)

Balcony 2018 - Mason bees - 04.jpg

Balcony 2018 - Mason bees - 06.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.02 MB
 Viewed:  295 Time(s)

Balcony 2018 - Mason bees - 06.jpg

Balcony 2018 - Mason bees - 07.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.48 MB
 Viewed:  308 Time(s)

Balcony 2018 - Mason bees - 07.jpg

Balcony 2018 - Mason bees - 08.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  842.72 KB
 Viewed:  276 Time(s)

Balcony 2018 - Mason bees - 08.jpg

klangumsetzer

Audio files: 32

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interestingly I also encountered two mason bees which were inspecting my reflective jacket yesterday while enjoying the first warm rays in the garden.
I checked the small insect house we have on the backside of the garage and rightly so many of the walled in bamboo tubes had been opened.

Also it seems that so far all plants survived the winter, the deer and the pheasant. Wink
I have not yet started with planting seeds because every year I start too early and then many of the young plants freeze in May...

Eike
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe the international bee sign went up Very Happy
I do feel a bit bad for them as the temperature will be dropping and they don't really have a long lifespan. I also haven't seen
much flowers around yet for the females to collect pollen from but I haven't seen any emerge yet anyway.

I know what you mean about starting too early, I have lost some plants that way in the past. It's too bad the growing season
is rather short and I don't get much sun on my balcony to begin with, so I have to start as early as possible. I did notice last
year with the morning glories they do much better when sown later when there is already a lot of sun. Otherwise they just stay
small and actually do worse than seeds planted later. But for the pepper seeds it helps to start early indoors (if they sprout Rolling Eyes )

speaking of seeds, I put some Datura metel (with double purple flowers) seeds in the ground yesterday. I had no luck with
them last year so I presoaked them to see if that helps.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Although the weather doesn't really show it yet, Spring is here! Razz

In case there was any doubt the Solanum dulcamar is very alive.
I am already expecting that I will have to cut it back at some point.
The Tiger Lily has breached the surface and the Rose is also starting to show signs of life.
Lupine is also waking up and the first seeds to sprout outside are from the Phacelia tanacetifolia.
By the looks of it I might have a 100% germination rate with those.

I also saw a couple of bees outside but I think those were all males.

Balcony 2018 - Solanum dulcamara - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  201.5 KB
 Viewed:  292 Time(s)

Balcony 2018 - Solanum dulcamara - 03.jpg

GOLF - Lilium Flore Pleno - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  291.55 KB
 Viewed:  286 Time(s)

GOLF - Lilium Flore Pleno - 03.jpg

GOLF - Rosa Nina Weibull - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  164.56 KB
 Viewed:  282 Time(s)

GOLF - Rosa Nina Weibull - 02.jpg

Balcony 2018 - Lupinus - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  420.36 KB
 Viewed:  278 Time(s)

Balcony 2018 - Lupinus - 01.jpg

Balcony 2018 - Phacelia tanacetifolia - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  292.11 KB
 Viewed:  295 Time(s)

Balcony 2018 - Phacelia tanacetifolia - 01.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I also got some daisies (the bees might like those too). They are mostly pink but have some white flowers as well.
I think those will just turn pink over time though.

GOLF - Bellis perennis - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  282.13 KB
 Viewed:  281 Time(s)

GOLF - Bellis perennis - 01.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

While enjoying my morning cup of tea I noticed an incoming pidgeon. It landed on my greenhouse and then flew away
or at least that's what I thought. Not much later I started hearing some soothing pidgeon sounds. I went in to my
kitchen, from where I can see the corner of my balcony, and there it was. (on my balcony, not in my kitchen). I think
it decided that one of my wallmounted planting baskets would make a nice pidgeon nest. I took some photos from
inside but it flew off when I went outside.

I was just listening to some music and heard some faint pidgeon sounds. So I had another look from my kitchen window
and sure enough it was back. It just flew off again before I went outside but I wonder if it'll return.

I don't mind having some birds on my balcony but a pidgeon might be a bit big and it will probably shit on everything.
I also have some plants growing in that basket. I will keep an eye on it and my ears open to see if it returns.

pidjun - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  162.28 KB
 Viewed:  301 Time(s)

pidjun - 01.jpg

robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you disturb it a few times, it will go somewhere else.

They eat new shoots and do make a mess. I would chase it away, personally.

Once they get established they are hard to get rid of, and will stay nearby if chased.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think I'll just put some skewers in the basket, seems to work against scottish cats so maybe also against dutch pigeons Laughing

I think it was keeping an eye on me (or maybe it was another pigeon).

pidjun - 04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  285.3 KB
 Viewed:  298 Time(s)

pidjun - 04.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unless it's a very artistic pigeon this might work.

pidjun - 05.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  298.84 KB
 Viewed:  280 Time(s)

pidjun - 05.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I heard a familiar sound this morning and low and behold the pigeon was back. It didn't look very amused though
and was cramped in a small corner that didn't have pencils sticking out. It flew off again when I went outside and I
added some more pencils leaving no more empty space to sit. But when I returned from work I could already hear it Shocked
This time it was just balancing on the edge of the basket. i think it didn't accept yet that its nesting spot had become
useless. If it does decide to return again I can temporarily hang something above it so it has no room left to sit.

Hanging stuff to that wall will be easier from now on because today I mounted a metal wire grid to it (is there a name
for something like that ?). This is also useful for ivy or maybe even a morning glory but it wouldn't get much sun
there, I might give it a try though.

I also put the violets in the pot with the roses. they should be good companion plants. I'll probably put the daisies in
the pot with the lily but I will wait untill it has grown a bit taller.

just for reference here's how the violets looked when I had just received them.

pidjun - 06.jpg
 Description:
The camera focused on the plant instead of the pigeon and I just noticed there's an aphid waving at the camera.
 Filesize:  132.6 KB
 Viewed:  264 Time(s)

pidjun - 06.jpg

Balcony 2018 - Metal wire grid.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  292.84 KB
 Viewed:  249 Time(s)

Balcony 2018 - Metal wire grid.jpg

GOLF - Rose & Violets - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  392.93 KB
 Viewed:  261 Time(s)

GOLF - Rose & Violets - 01.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

While putting everything back on my balcony I spotted a bee crawling very slowly on the ground. I didn't know if it was dying
or just exhausted so I filled a small saucer with some sugar water to see if that would do it any good. The poor fellow dropped
in it on its back but after I carefully placed it on the edge of the saucer it seem to enjoy the sugary treat very much. (which was
a great opportunity for me to make some photos) It didn't really make it become much more active though so I put it inside
a propagator with a daisy and the sugar water and placed it inside under a lamp for some extra warmth. I also added some
wet tissue paper so it had some moisture to get rid of the sticky sugar stuff. I think it actually used it for this purpose too Very Happy.

It took some time but it has become much more active again and is even buzzing around a bit. It's probably ready to go again
but it's cold and dark outside now. I think I'll put it in my kitchen first where it is also darker and colder so the transition
isn't too harsh.

There should be some sunny weather and warmer temperatures this weekend and I am expecting more bees. So I will
probably place a couple of saucers with sugar water outside.

Balcony 2018 - Mason bees - 09.jpg
 Description:
exhausted mason bee enjoying a sugary treat (hires)
 Filesize:  3.29 MB
 Viewed:  278 Time(s)

Balcony 2018 - Mason bees - 09.jpg

Balcony 2018 - Mason bees - 10.jpg
 Description:
bee in temporary habitat
 Filesize:  240.33 KB
 Viewed:  273 Time(s)

Balcony 2018 - Mason bees - 10.jpg

Balcony 2018 - Mason bees - 11.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  264.45 KB
 Viewed:  271 Time(s)

Balcony 2018 - Mason bees - 11.jpg

AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aw, you big softy Smile that's so kind of you!

My sister would have screamed at the top of her lungs and refused to have gone back out there until someone else moved the bee to another postcode entirely.
Page 6 of 23 [557 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 21, 22, 23 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: