electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
The Garden
Page 10 of 23 [557 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, ..., 21, 22, 23 Next
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here are some photos (gathered from the web) which probably says more than all those latin names.

To select the plants I first looked around on my balcony to see how many plants I could place in certain spots.
Although it is pretty small I do look at it as having different sections.
* The Witch Garden has the poisonous plants, mostly nightshades, and I knew wanted to add a monkshood.
* Next to it is the Bird & Bee corner which has the north facing wall with the baskets mounted to it and some
flowerpots in front. This is the part of my balcony that gets the least amount of light.
* I have a Woodland section where I have pots with ferns. This part gets some more light but still a lot of shade.
It's below the table on which I grow some of the peppers which also has a trellis for morning glories.
* There is a also a section (which I haven't named) that gets most of the sun and has 2 large planters and
a cylindrical shapes trellis for more morning glories. In front of these planters (or behind depending on your
point of view) is a table for more pepper plants and some other things.

So I selected plants based on the following conditions:
- light; mostly plants that do well in shade.
- height; most of the plants don't get very tall as I don't have a lot of space.
- flowers (shape and color); I made a selection of different colors that should look good together
with some similarities between flower shapes to tie them together but still have some variation.
(there also isn't a lot of choice with shade plants).
- blooming period; They don't all flower at the same time so I should have flowers for most of the year.
3 of the largest ones (Agastache 'Tangerine Dreams', Rudbeckia triloba 'Prairie Glow', Monarda 'Cambridge Scarlet')
will be placed in my 2 largest containers together with the flowers I have sown. These should all bloom towards the
end of the summer (as does the tiger lily) so if it all works out it'll be quite a spectacle of large warm/bright colored flowers.

Perennials.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  978.78 KB
 Viewed:  443 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Perennials.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The weather has been so mild lately that some of the bees have already started to emerge. That's about 2.5 weeks earlier than last year.

Also the pulmonaria has started to flower. I am not sure if it is very healthy though. It has put out a lot of fresh growth but it's all a bit pale
so could be chlorosis. If it is it's a bit tricky to figure out what caused it, could even just be fluctuating temperatures.

2019 - mason bees - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  233.59 KB
 Viewed:  422 Time(s)

2019 - mason bees - 01.jpg

2019 - mason bees - 03.jpg
 Description:
note that the cells have been open since late summer last year. Might have been the intense heat that dried it out or maybe it was caused by some birds or other insects.
 Filesize:  286.8 KB
 Viewed:  411 Time(s)

2019 - mason bees - 03.jpg

2019 - mason bees - 07.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  143.22 KB
 Viewed:  397 Time(s)

2019 - mason bees - 07.jpg

2019 - mason bees - 08.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  182.78 KB
 Viewed:  445 Time(s)

2019 - mason bees - 08.jpg

2019 - Pulmonaria - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  188.59 KB
 Viewed:  417 Time(s)

2019 - Pulmonaria - 02.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah yes .. everything is early this year ... again .. the pink trees started flowering here today .. at least a week earlier than ever before.

Noticed the bees two weeks ago already .. on them exceptionally warm couple of days we had then .. they were visiting crocusses then.

Lovely journal pho of your garden :-)

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd spotted some pink blossoming trees here too and saw some bumblebees flying around,. oh and yellow butterflies.
I was already expecting the bees might be a bit earlier this year although I was hoping it would cool down a bit again.
Actually it looks like the temperature will drop again in the coming week so I hope most of the bees will stay in a bit longer.

-------

I thought I could use some more plants so I paid another visit to the garden center
I actually went there to look if they had a Saxifraga (which I had thought about ordering) and because I needed
a new jar of peanutbutter for the birds. They did have a Saxifraga but it was too large for the flowerpot I wanted
to put it in. I orignally wanted to put the Prunella in it but that one is too large for it too. I did get something else;

On entering I noticed plants with bright yellow flowers and I wondered if it was the Doronicum that I almost ordered
and indeed it was. It's a great plant for bees and it flowers pretty early but I thought it would be just a bit too tall
for where I wanted to place it and probably flower too late anyway, at least for the mason bees. But these already
had lots of flower and with the bees emerging I thought I'd take one home for them, although I don't know if they'll
actually like it.

I also got some Lithops which I always liked but never actually had before. Apparently they are very easy to maintain
and very easy to kill so I don't know how long they'll last but I'll give it a try. I also got some other plants but maybe
more about those another time.

2019 - Doronicum orientale - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  248.7 KB
 Viewed:  380 Time(s)

2019 - Doronicum orientale - 01.jpg

2019 - Lithops mix - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  243.66 KB
 Viewed:  424 Time(s)

2019 - Lithops mix - 01.jpg

2019 - new plants March 08 - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  270.23 KB
 Viewed:  414 Time(s)

2019 - new plants March 08 - 01.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

some updates:

The Tiger Lily has been producing a lot of new roots so I decided to replant it in the same container as last year (with some fresh compost).
While digging out the old soil I found a small bulb so one of the bulbils that fell on the soil must have rooted. I wasn't planning on growing
more of them but I'll give this one a chance.

I made a small sign for the birds so they know where to find the bird seed, now I just need a small anvil. Someone else had the same idea. Laughing
Painting the sign was actually more difficult than I expected but it's readable.

I also repainted the mushroom so it's red again instead of yellow smurf

The bees are also starting to get buzy again and I made some videos to show them in action.
The first one has a bee drinking some sugar water.
https://streamable.com/5pe8r

The second one has some buzy bees and I make a bit of an appearance aswell.
https://streamable.com/1av1a

The third one also has some birds but they don't show themselves much. You can however see the camera shaking as they decided the tripod
was a good place to land and you can hear them pecking away at some sunflower seeds.
https://streamable.com/sefwb

2019 - Lilium Flore Pleno - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  230.74 KB
 Viewed:  387 Time(s)

2019 - Lilium Flore Pleno - 02.jpg

2019 - free birdseed - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  260.96 KB
 Viewed:  391 Time(s)

2019 - free birdseed - 01.jpg

2019 - mushroom - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.54 MB
 Viewed:  386 Time(s)

2019 - mushroom - 01.jpg

2019 - mushroom - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.95 MB
 Viewed:  387 Time(s)

2019 - mushroom - 02.jpg

2019 - mason bees - 09.jpg
 Description:
some bee 'action'
I wonder if they have mites or if it's just dirt or pollen. There isn't much I can do about anyway though.
 Filesize:  177.53 KB
 Viewed:  396 Time(s)

2019 - mason bees - 09.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The flowers (from seed) are growing pretty well. Some are actually already starting to get a bit root bound and I can't wait for the
weather to get better so they can go outside. Also the Zinnias seem to be producing flowerbuds while they aren' t supposed to flower
untill July. But I can just prune them down which will also make them bushier resulting in more flowers.

The peppers aren't growing very fast but although they don't look very big some already had their roots circling around in the bottom of
the cups so I transplanted those.

2019 - flowers - 04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  265.36 KB
 Viewed:  402 Time(s)

2019 - flowers - 04.jpg

2019 - Pepperland - Seedlings 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  278.68 KB
 Viewed:  383 Time(s)

2019 - Pepperland - Seedlings 03.jpg

2019 - Pepperland - Seedlings 04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  323.3 KB
 Viewed:  390 Time(s)

2019 - Pepperland - Seedlings 04.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hadn't noticed it before but one of the purple tigers has a mutated leaf Razz

2019 - Pepperland - Purple Tiger 06.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  195.47 KB
 Viewed:  260 Time(s)

2019 - Pepperland - Purple Tiger 06.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are some Myosotis (forget-me-nots) photos that make for a nice spring themed wallpaper.

stay tuned for more,.. flower

2019 - Myosotis - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.69 MB
 Viewed:  260 Time(s)

2019 - Myosotis - 03.jpg

2019 - Myosotis - 04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.5 MB
 Viewed:  275 Time(s)

2019 - Myosotis - 04.jpg

2019 - Myosotis - 05.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.51 MB
 Viewed:  273 Time(s)

2019 - Myosotis - 05.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If the weather forecasts are somewhat correct than the next week will have some partial sunny weather with a bit of rain
and the week after that will have lots of sun, so today seemed like a good day to transplant some flowers. Very Happy
The 2 large planters now contain:
- Zinnia elegans 'Thumbelina mix' [5x]
- Dahlia variabilis 'Dandy' [5x]
- Arctotis acaulis 'Harlequin mix' [4x]
- Agastache 'Tangerine Dream' [1x] (smells like licorice)
- Monarda 'Cambridge Scarlet' [1x] (smells like earl grey tea)
- Rudbeckia triloba 'Prairie Glow' [1x]
- Antirrhinum majus 'Circus Clowns' [1x]

I've also sown some more things:
- I took the Hyoscyamus niger (Henbane), Atropa belladonna, Atropa komarovii and Hyacinthoides (Blue bell) seeds
out of the fridge (stratification) and put them in some sowing trays. The Henbane seeds actually already had a lot of
germination eventhough I had only taken them out of the fridge 2 days prior, so that's promising.
- I had also placed some lupine seeds in the fridge that were harvested from one that I grew from seed last year. To my suprise
they were already germinating in the fridge so those have been put in the dirt too.
- I've sown the Nicotiana sanderae Tinkerbell F2 seeds.
- And some of the Heimia salicifolia (Sinicuichi) seeds have been sown aswell.

When I harvested the morning glory seeds earlier this year I immediately sowed them in a planter. I always find them sprouting
in other pots and planters so I thought I might aswell sow them right away. Since I have so many seeds I put a good handfull
in there (probably a couple hundred seeds) so at least some should germinate, right ?
Once they start to appear I know the weather is ok (usually when it gets to about 20C) and I will sow the other morning glories;
Convolvulus tricolor & Ipomoea lobata (I also have some older Heavenly Blue and Flying Saucers seeds left).

A similar thing with the Datura's, They also self seed and when I removed the old plants I emptied out all the seed pods
above the black container they grow in. That's a LOT of seeds Wink Once some of those start sprouting I will sow the
other one too; Datura tatula 'Lilac'.

I think that's all the seeds for this year.

oh I had also sown some Phacelia tanacetifolia for the bees (I like it too). Again I had a lot of seeds and there isn't much use
in storing them for a long time so I used a lot of them. The result is that it is a bit crowded at the moment but on the plus side
the small plants support eachother. I'll probably thin them out a bit over time but it should also keep them a bit smaller.

2019 - flowers - 05.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  323.49 KB
 Viewed:  242 Time(s)

2019 - flowers - 05.jpg

2019 - Hyoscyamus niger - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  265.1 KB
 Viewed:  244 Time(s)

2019 - Hyoscyamus niger - 01.jpg

2019 - Phacelia tanacetifolia - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  346.59 KB
 Viewed:  237 Time(s)

2019 - Phacelia tanacetifolia - 01.jpg

Last edited by PHOBoS on Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

some poisonous plants Twisted Evil

2019 - Pulmonaria - 03.jpg
 Description:
Lots of pretty flowers on the Pulmonaria which the bees seem to appreciate.
 Filesize:  254.37 KB
 Viewed:  249 Time(s)

2019 - Pulmonaria - 03.jpg

2019 - Pulmonaria - 04.jpg
 Description:
more pretty Pulmonaria flowers
 Filesize:  327.98 KB
 Viewed:  248 Time(s)

2019 - Pulmonaria - 04.jpg

2019 - Solanum dulcamara - 01.jpg
 Description:
no, no don't grow through that. luckily I caught it in time to remove it.
 Filesize:  195.8 KB
 Viewed:  226 Time(s)

2019 - Solanum dulcamara - 01.jpg

2019 - Digitalis - 01.jpg
 Description:
4-headed foxglove. I am surprised it survived since it flowered last year,
but by the looks of it is going to produce a couple of flowerstalks.
 Filesize:  365.4 KB
 Viewed:  232 Time(s)

2019 - Digitalis - 01.jpg

2019 - Aconitum and Aquilegia - 01.jpg
 Description:
Aconitum and Aquilegia are actually related and are getting along well together.
 Filesize:  264.71 KB
 Viewed:  235 Time(s)

2019 - Aconitum and Aquilegia - 01.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

but wait, there is more.

2019 - Lamiastrum galeobdolon - 01.jpg
 Description:
Lamiastrum galeobdolon is looking very healthy.
 Filesize:  283.04 KB
 Viewed:  234 Time(s)

2019 - Lamiastrum galeobdolon - 01.jpg

2019 - beecorner ivy - 01.jpg
 Description:
The ivy is also showing some fresh growth
 Filesize:  366.75 KB
 Viewed:  236 Time(s)

2019 - beecorner ivy - 01.jpg

2019 - woodlands - 01.jpg
 Description:
Woodland plants. There is one empty pot reserved for the Blue Bells although I might put those in another planter
(they won't flower this year) and place some Convallaris majalis (lily-of-the-valley) in there.
 Filesize:  314.72 KB
 Viewed:  259 Time(s)

2019 - woodlands - 01.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And here's a bit of an overview of the current state of my balcony. Some things will be moved around later on. For example the terracotta
colored planter hanging from my balcony has the morning glories in it and will be moved to a different spot once they have grown a bit.
The large terracotta pot on the floor (visible in "2019 - balcony - 02.jpg") has the bleeding hearts in it but the spot where I want to place
it (beecorner) doesn't get any sun untill later in the year. And of course there is still a lot to be transplanted.

2019 - balcony - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  346.81 KB

2019 - balcony - 01.jpg

2019 - balcony - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  368.05 KB
 Viewed:  251 Time(s)

2019 - balcony - 02.jpg

2019 - balcony - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  311.49 KB
 Viewed:  250 Time(s)

2019 - balcony - 03.jpg

2019 - balcony - 04.jpg
 Description:
The green planter hanging on the corner of my balcony has a mix of old seeds in it that may or may not be viable incl. a LOT of tagettes.
 Filesize:  354.46 KB
 Viewed:  240 Time(s)

2019 - balcony - 04.jpg

AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Careful with the ivy -- it can sometimes damage the wall it climbs on.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I spotted a little flower on the Epimedium, hiding behind the leaves. Razz
Some of the ferns are showing new growth and I got some Convallaris majalis (lily-of-the-valley).
Also, I seem to have drowned the lupin seeds.

2019 - Epimedium grandiflorum - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.57 KB

2019 - Epimedium grandiflorum - 01.jpg

2019 - ferns - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  306.41 KB
 Viewed:  229 Time(s)

2019 - ferns - 01.jpg

2019 - Convallaris majalis - 01.jpg
 Description:
got a chunk of it from my parents which also includes some clover.
 Filesize:  286.82 KB
 Viewed:  227 Time(s)

MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

Is that clover? I have some yellow wood sorrel that has an indentation in the leaves like that. My clovers (the small ones on the lawn with white flowers and the big, tall ones with larger red/pink flowers) don't have that kind of indentation. Interesting.

BTW, yesterday I spied some leaf clusters of Lupine plants and Columbine plants--along with the Irises and other stuff.

Nice work on your garden. Thanks for sharing.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I actually don't really know what it is but looks like some sort of clover,
at least it doesn't do much else than that (they're not seedlings) although
it might flower.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The clover has now been identified as Oxalis acetosella, at least I am pretty certain that's what it is, which isn't a clover at all.
props to Steve who came pretty close in identifying it and who gave me the incentive to look it up.
My parents had some of it flowering so here's a (crappy) photo of that.

on a side note: The Dicentra spectabilis (bleeding hearts) and Dracocephalum I had ordered seem to be pretty dead.
I am getting a refund but would rather have had the plants. So now I have to look for something else. I think I might be able to get
another Dicentra at the garden centre but they are probably already flowering now which doesn't last very long. I might have a look
later this week.
My mom also ordered a white version which is currently flowering so here's a photo of that too.

Oxalis acetosella.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  241.89 KB
 Viewed:  216 Time(s)

Oxalis acetosella.jpg

Dicentra spectabilis alba.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  308.57 KB
 Viewed:  227 Time(s)

Dicentra spectabilis alba.jpg

Cfish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Garden
Subject description: Plants
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I’m trying to get a couple of elderberry trees going this year, And I tried to get a picture of my big rosemerry plant that I overwinter indoors. I love having fresh rosemerry all winter.

I tried and tried to figure out why my ipad pictures all come out upside down. They are right side up on the iPad.

Any suggestions?

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.41 MB
 Viewed:  233 Time(s)

image.jpg

1B6D6D73-26BF-4851-8217-B8BC83772EC2.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.15 MB

1B6D6D73-26BF-4851-8217-B8BC83772EC2.jpeg

Cfish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Garden Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My rhubarb is doing great this year, I have asparagus coming up, and I bean cleaning up and mulching my blackberry and grape section of the garden.

The little orange building is my chicken house, but thanks to a Fox I have no chickens left.

My strawberries are looking good too.

I flipped the iPad upside down. The pictures still flip right in my camera file, but they come out right side up on here.

I really like this thread.

2C4B90A4-93BF-49BB-BD12-5E52FC8D2D13.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.68 MB
 Viewed:  241 Time(s)

2C4B90A4-93BF-49BB-BD12-5E52FC8D2D13.jpeg

EE5A6ACA-132D-4B22-814B-92C725622E5F.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.95 MB
 Viewed:  232 Time(s)

EE5A6ACA-132D-4B22-814B-92C725622E5F.jpeg

B76AC279-2B0D-4106-B8CA-75563C3A556D.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.99 MB
 Viewed:  214 Time(s)

B76AC279-2B0D-4106-B8CA-75563C3A556D.jpeg

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Garden
Subject description: Plants
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cfish wrote:
I tried and tried to figure out why my ipad pictures all come out upside down. They are right side up on the iPad.

Any suggestions?

The ipad, and iphone does it too, keeps device orientation with the image, remebering the 'real upside' that way .. and then using that for presentation. The image display software here or in browsers .. apparently does not do that ... what I've always done is to use an image editor tocorrect stuff .. but .. hmm .. maybe I should look into it again ... it should be in the exif info (or a variation on that ... meta data) on the immage ... if present.

Going to investigate a bit.

Edit: Ah ok .. clicking on the image shows it larger and upside up ... soo .. the image resize software drops some info it seems.

Edit2: Opeing it in GIMP the program tells me the iamge contains EXIF data, and asks me if I want to rotate it. And the EXIF info tells me you took the picture today at 14:52:22 with an ipad mini 2 back camera with a diphrgma setting of f2.2 and a focal length of 3.3 mm (or 32 mm reampped for 35 mm film) ISO 32 .. it also tells me the orientation was "bottom, right" .. what ever that may mean ... and loads more stuff .. but NOT directly WHERE it was taken .. but I did not look into the 900 or so bytes of the Exif.Photo.MakerNote field.

Anyways .. the image resize software on the forum does not look at the orientation and strips it off, the browser jpeg does use it and will auto flip the image so its seen right (when clicking on it you gotothe original image).

Now let me see if I can do something about it ...

Edit 3: hmm .. it seems a bit involved to get that right .. starting with a configuration setting I'm not sure of .. and would have to update some software and then change some obscure forum software .. not a one evening project Confused

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some healthy looking plants you got there Razz
Is that greenhouse also yours ? I think it's bigger than my balcony.
Maybe I should grow some strawberries too this year, but I don't think they would get enough light here.
Looks like you get a lot of sun there, nice open space. looking forward to seeing more of it Wink

Last edited by PHOBoS on Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cfish wrote:

Any suggestions?

I don't have an iPad so I have no idea if you have any image software that can rotate the pictures. I still use a competitor's "Photo Viewer" which dates back at least to XP (and works on 10). I can't imagine the iPad doesn't have that feature.

I was going to just download your pix, rotate them, and PM them to you, but when I clicked on your upside down images to download, they showed up as right-side up!!!!!!

Maybe Apple is trying to compete with Microsoft in the "Why the ______ does it do that?!?!?!?!?!?" department?

Anyway, thanks for sharing; hope you can sort it out so future pix get posted right-side up (as long as the enlarged browser images don't turn upside down).
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
I think I might be able to get another Dicentra at the garden centre but they are probably already flowering now which doesn't
last very long. I might have a look later this week.

well, later this week was today Cool
I did get a new Dicentra and I got the 'valentine' variety. This is actually the one I originally wanted but by the time I placed my order it
had just sold out. What's different about this one is that is has redish flower stems but more importantly it has red hearts instead of pink.
Red hearts of course go well with the Alice in Wonderland theme. love
I counted about 5 points at which it is producing new flower buds so it should still be producing flowers for at least a couple of weeks.

I also got a new Fuchsia as the one I got last year sadly didn't make it. But I really liked it so I definitely wanted one again.

2019 - Dicentra spectabilis valentine - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  299.32 KB
 Viewed:  194 Time(s)

2019 - Dicentra spectabilis valentine - 01.jpg

2019 - Dicentra spectabilis valentine - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  122.07 KB
 Viewed:  204 Time(s)

2019 - Dicentra spectabilis valentine - 02.jpg

2019 - Fuchsia - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  235.45 KB
 Viewed:  183 Time(s)

2019 - Fuchsia - 01.jpg

2019 - Fuchsia - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  158.94 KB
 Viewed:  198 Time(s)

2019 - Fuchsia - 02.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of course I couldn't leave it at that and got some more plants Embarassed

For several years now I have Sempervivum growing in one of the planters that is hanging on the outside of my balcony. It always suprises
me how well they do as they are pretty exposed to the elements. This means that in summer they get a lot of direct sun and it can get very
dry (I know they like that) and in the winter they get covered in snow and the soil freezes solid, but they are absolutely thriving! Razz
I am pretty sure I started out with just one or maybe just a few but I estimate that I now have over a hundred growing in there (feel free
to count). Earlier this year I moved some sections so it's not just growing from one side and I also added a bit of fresh soil. Oh, and I planted
some marigold seeds in there and it looks like there are at least tow sprouting. (There is also an unknown plant I found in another one of
those planters which I replanted in the corner).

Anyway, I got some more Sempervivum. I must have spend at least 10 minutes looking at all of them trying to decide which one to pick.
They all looked somehat similar but there are some variations in size and color. It's not uncommon for me to take my time trying to pick a
plant. I usually look untill I see one that speaks to me. Not that it literally starts to talk to me of course but I look for one that stands out.
I had already picked one that had 2 big rosettes and a bunch of smaller ones but then I spotted something quite special. Shocked
It wasn't a big one and only has two rosettes, however,.. one of them is fasciated/crested!
Quote:
Fasciation (pronounced /ˌfæʃiˈeɪʃən/, from the Latin root meaning "band" or "stripe"), also known as cresting, is a relatively rare condition of abnormal growth in vascular plants in which the apical meristem (growing tip), which normally is concentrated around a single point and produces approximately cylindrical tissue, instead becomes elongated perpendicularly to the direction of growth, thus producing flattened, ribbon-like, crested (or "cristate"), or elaborately contorted, tissue.
wikipedia

Since theses plants create a lot of new plants I wonder what will happen. Maybe it won't produce any offspring or they will be normal but
maaaybe they will also be crested.

The ones I picked are both red but one looks to be red with green tips on the leaves while the other one has more green at the base of the leaves
and red tips.

2019 - Sempervivum - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  381.7 KB
 Viewed:  199 Time(s)

2019 - Sempervivum - 01.jpg

2019 - Sempervivum - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  438.57 KB
 Viewed:  202 Time(s)

2019 - Sempervivum - 02.jpg

2019 - Sempervivum - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  248.35 KB
 Viewed:  192 Time(s)

2019 - Sempervivum - 03.jpg

2019 - Sempervivum - 04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  238.87 KB
 Viewed:  185 Time(s)

2019 - Sempervivum - 04.jpg

2019 - Sempervivum - 05.jpg
 Description:
freak of nature
 Filesize:  267.56 KB
 Viewed:  201 Time(s)

2019 - Sempervivum - 05.jpg

Last edited by PHOBoS on Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Purty flowers there.

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
Page 10 of 23 [557 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, ..., 21, 22, 23 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: