electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Octatrack + Nord Modular G2
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Octatrack + Nord Modular G2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Octatrack is a device that is good at sampling and playing back samples in ingenious ways. The Nord Modular G2 is a device that is good for building complex patches that take on a life of their own. Among other things (for both devices).

The Octatrack can receive MIDI messages that can be used control many parts of the machine - almost everything you can do manually using its knobs and buttons. The Nord can send any standard MIDI message (not sysex). So you can program the Nord to control the Octatrack.

This intrigues me in two ways:

- I sometimes wish I could be able to sample when creating noodles and patches on the Nord. Having an Octatrack around means you can do some sampling operations on the Nord - you can trigger the Octatrack to record a sample, and you can trigger the Octatrack to play back that sample.

- Sometimes when working with the Octatrack I feel I would like to be able to control parameters automatically in some more advanced and/or easy way than is possible with its LFOs and trig locks. Especially I often like to introduce random values or trigs in the process. This is possible with MIDI signals sent from the Nord Modular G2.

Attaching a couple of screenshot of how it looks in the G2 editor when controlling the Octatrack, and an excerpt from a simple noodle that I was messing around with. The noodle sends a tone to the Octatrack that is regularly resampled using random trigs, and some randomized bell sounds that are looped on the Octatrack. The bell sounds are also regularly resampled.

The sampled tone is used by two tracks that are trigged chromatically from Nord sequencers, making up a kind of randomized sequence.

You can do a lot more advanced stuff with this setup - this is just my first test attempt. I probably will explore this path more in the future.

Nord Modular G2 EditorScreenSnapz003.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  276.11 KB
 Viewed:  8046 Time(s)

Nord Modular G2 EditorScreenSnapz003.png

Nord Modular G2 EditorScreenSnapz002.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  203.99 KB
 Viewed:  647 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Nord Modular G2 EditorScreenSnapz002.png

octa+nmg2 test.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  octa+nmg2 test.mp3
 Filesize:  3.38 MB
 Downloaded:  1033 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heard that for a good while on the radio some days ago - pretty nice!
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wanted to try something a bit more ambient, so I read up on the pickup machines on the Octatrack, who I've never really gotten a grip on. I think I understand them now. Pickup machines are basically a way to do live looping, overdub etc, that you can't do easily using the other tools in the Octatrack.

I was planning on introducing some MIDI, but I thought it sounded nice when I just triggered the pickup machines by hand, so I made a recording of that.

So this is a simple drone thing on the G2 (the whole patch can be seen in the screenshot), moving between notes in a Cmaj7 chord. It gets mixed into one output that goes into the Octatrack, where two pickup machines listen to it. I trigger each pickup machine by hand to either record, playback, overdub, or stop. The pickup machines are set to play back in ping pong style, meaning the play back their sample normally, then reversed, then normally and so on. One pickup machine records and plays six bars, the other eight bars.

I've put a compressor on everything in the Octatrack - it can get loud sometimes when you overdub.

IMG_20170512_103357.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  286 KB
 Viewed:  624 Time(s)

IMG_20170512_103357.jpg

Nord Modular G2 EditorScreenSnapz004.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  545.96 KB
 Viewed:  615 Time(s)

Nord Modular G2 EditorScreenSnapz004.png

nmg2+octa drone.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  nmg2+octa drone.mp3
 Filesize:  9.01 MB
 Downloaded:  1012 Time(s)

simple drone.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  simple drone.pch2
 Filesize:  3.56 KB