electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
tips on where to source fasteners? (screws, bolts, etc)
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
belltones

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: tips on where to source fasteners? (screws, bolts, etc) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I feel like I have things pretty well figured out with regards to sourcing electronic parts and various other incidentals but I still don't feel like I've got a good source for something very mundane: fasteners!

I'm hoping to find a place (preferably in the US, online is fine) that sells a wide variety of screws, bolts, and nuts...
mostly rather small ones, of different lengths, different threadings, different materials (brass, anodized, etc)
The average hardware or home improvement store has a very limited selection when it comes to smaller-sized ones. I sometimes go on Ebay or Amazon and buy like a 5 pack of exactly what I need but they're often kind of overpriced and paying for shipping each time (and waiting) seems silly. I'd like to be able to go to one site and order a wide variety in bulk to have on hand.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The usual USA answer is "McMaster-Carr". Don't know who they are, what they're like.

I usually get fasteners from RS Components Online.
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlanP wrote:
The usual USA answer is "McMaster-Carr". Don't know who they are, what they're like.

I usually get fasteners from RS Components Online.

And here I was about to say "McMaster-Carr" Very Happy

They're based somewhere near Chicago, which makes shipping to me really damn fast. But even if not, their website is a wonder of finding what you need very easily. And they have it all.....
piedwagtail

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I get mine in UK from ebay from the big dealers( Boltbase ; MassiveAttack).
Super selection,cut price deals and free postage
Delivery is also usually next day.

Rapid has a horrendous £30 target for free delivery and RS is all the above but expensive. Screwfix limited but local. Maplin just dumb.

R
belltones

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh yeah, Mcmaster-Carr. I had been to their website before. I like their illustrations for everything, haha. Still not the best selection when it comes to the smallest fasteners. But maybe I have to accept that those may always be a bit hard to find.
Dragon's Lair

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I get all mine from Fastener Express, they carry just about everything, and their prices are no to bad either.

http://www.fastener-express.com/
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

McMaster is in several locations. There's one here in NJ which is great - I can put an order in late at night, they ship it the next day and I have it the day after. If the order goes in early enough I get it the next day. On occasion I'll use Fastenal but they tend to be a bit more expensive then McMaster. Other times I've been able to find what I need at Sears Hardware but they are not carrying much in small fasteners these days. Good for bronze, steel and nylon bushings though...
belltones

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah, I'm very pleased to hear that McMaster ships from NJ as I am in Philadelphia. that's big points for them. and thanks everyone for your suggestions! I'm sure between all of them I'll be able to find whatever I need next time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: