electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
General DIY Questions
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Snuffles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: General DIY Questions Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello.

I am looking for some advice. I'm in a weird spot with my knowledge of this stuff. The mechanical aspect of everything (Soldering, SMD Rework, Repair, PCB/faceplates/enclosure design, and construction) I work on at a professional level as my day-to-day job. This stuff I am really good at. However, I have an amateur understanding of the "why" in all of this. I can read a schematic and follow wiring diagrams, but my biggest hurdle is knowing why all this stuff works in conjunction with one another.

A few months ago I watched a video of a guy going through a Juno circuit step by step. He went from the start to the finish of the VCO circuit. This video opened a floodgate of questions, and since then, I have been seeking knowledge to better understand how circuits are put together and the decisions behind their design. It was a valuable video to me.
My question to you is how do I get into this stuff? EVERY single resource I find (Books, webpages, videos, etc.) are either two levels of understanding; VERY basic beginner or Very Advanced. I feel I am in the middle somewhere.
It seems like there is no transition for people who understand the basics, but want to move forward with their understanding. Does anyone have any recommendations for how to transition? I eventually want to build some personal eurorack modules.

On a somewhat related sidenote; I heard of a collection of schematics for synth stuff floating around. I want to say it's in a book, but it could be an online repository. I remember reading an interview with Tony Rolando about how he got into synth stuff. He mentioned that this book was a big help in his understanding of the circuits. Does anyone know what this is? Also, any other books or info about engineering applied to synths/ music stuff would be awesome.

Thanks for your help in advance!
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bernie Hutchin's Electronotes series is well regarded, universally, and I think he still has some copies for sale.
gdavis

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: General DIY Questions Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Snuffles wrote:
However, I have an amateur understanding of the "why" in all of this. I can read a schematic and follow wiring diagrams, but my biggest hurdle is knowing why all this stuff works in conjunction with one another.

This level of knowledge basically amounts to an electrical engineering degree which typically consists of at least 4 years full time of what most consider pretty intense study. Of course that also includes some general ed stuff and is maybe a little beyond what you're actually looking for.

But the point is, there is no "single resource" that explains it all, it's the result of studying a variety of disciplines which together form the level of understanding. As you've found, trying to combine all this results in it being very basic because it's just too much, and the more advanced stuff assumes you have this foundation.

There's math - calculus and differential equations to support the analysis of circuits.

There's physics - Simple harmonic motion helps in understanding the basics of RLC circuits. And of course electricity and magnetism to understand the nature of electricity and how components affect it and are affected by it.

That gives the foundation to get into basic circuit analysis, which I suspect is the "meat" of what you really want to know.

Then Signals and Systems is where you start really analyzing and understanding more complex AC circuits.

Solid state electronics covers transistors and their operation.

That covers much of the basic theory that allows you to understand the more advanced stuff.

gabbagabi

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i would add the cookbook series, for me always a not to complicated source of Information

plus
http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=instrumentos+musicales&t=51322

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-69279.html

and ian friitz had published here recently a huge scan of his "older" material

and of course the yusynth archive

and simulations are also very nice - in the beginning to learn, later on for developing your own ideas, for me serves best multisim
JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
wmonk

Audio files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JovianPyx wrote:
The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill

This.
Will get you a very long way.

And if you can find them, the video lectures of Aaron Lanterman on electronics for synthesizers are very good as well, to get you more into the specifics of why certain circuits are used in analog synthesizers.

Snuffles

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for all of the suggestions here!

The Bernie Hutchin books look very appealing. I may need to sell some gear to get the collection before he stops selling.

I did go to college (partially) for EE. My degree is very specific to a certain field, so it's more of an EE minor. I really wish I chose the full EE degree though. It would definitely be more marketable than the degree I have and I wouldn't be in this situation.

Since I can't go back to school due to work obligations/ time constraints, I'd really like to set up a study plan for myself where I sit down and study this stuff like an hour a day, 5 days a week at my bench. Would The Art of Electronics book be something that could be "self-studied"? Does it offer exercises and questions to help me understand the material in practice? I have a fully supplied workbench/shop at my house, so the parts and equipment will not be an issue.

Again, thank you for sharing you knowledge. Smile
JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In my opinion, yes. AoE is used as a college text book. It has great explanations and lots of schematics. There are also many pages labeled "bad circuits" that show common shortcuts some people take that either don't work at all or work poorly - another great way to learn.

The second edition of the book is free on the web as a PDF file. It is missing only the latest digital stuff, but all of the analog stuff is there. So perhaps that can save you some cash if you are like me and can read a screen.

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: