electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The Repair Shop
Triggering a drum on two consecutive beats with 4017
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Meehah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:29 am    Post subject: Triggering a drum on two consecutive beats with 4017 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello.

I am quite new to electronics, particularly CMOS, so I apologise if I am not using the right terms.

I have completed an extremely primitive drum machine using a 4017 for sequencing that works well with one issue. Because the 4017's output pulses have no gaps between them, when I have two consecutive pulses going to the trigger input of one drum, it acts as if it is just one continuous pulse and so only plays on the first.

Is there any way to make these separate beats with a gap in between? Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I've included a drawing depicting what I mean. In the drawing, Currently is what I have now, Desired is what I'm looking to make.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Thank you very much.
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You could try this, but probably have to tinker a bit with the values of the c's and R's

pulses.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.09 KB
 Viewed:  6245 Time(s)

pulses.PNG

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The most common way to do this is to connect the output(s) of the 4017 and the CLK signal to an AND gate. I have noticed this can cause
some unwantend triggers so have a look at the "Little Gate" sequencer as I used some extra components to solve that problem.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gabbagabi

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

something from the simulator

the simulator needed R3 to work properly, dunno if it could be ommited in the real world, i would say it depends on the following stage

edit: Senhor Grumble, you are still using this falstadt thing! Very Happy

seekuhentzA.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.35 KB
 Viewed:  455 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

seekuhentzA.png

Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Senhor Grumble, you are still using this falstadt thing! Very Happy

Embarassed sorry, was in a rush Cool

Meehah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you everyone for your help. The Little Gate looks good but I will probably try some of the other designs as I only need it on one or two beats. I'll report back with my results.
Meehah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In the end I just used an AND gate with clock into one input and the output into the other input as was suggested above by PHOBoS. It worked very well but maybe if I was using it more I'd build the Little Gate for the consistency.
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The Repair Shop
Jump to: