electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Beginner elec guitar advice
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Ardod

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Beginner elec guitar advice Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1. I am a cheap bastard
2. My kids play too many instruments
3. My 8 yr old left-handed boy needs an electric guitar
4. He has never played guitar
5. We want to start him on a right-handed guitar
6. If I'm buying a guitar, I want a Gibson LP, SG or Fender Strat
7. I am a cheap bastard
8. If I'm buying an amp/cabinet, I want a Marshall
9. Mexican Strats are $200 used to $400 new. SG's more. Cheap LPs more
10. 30w Marshalls are less than $250
11. Did I mention the cheap bastard part?

Are we wrong forcing the RH guitar? Music teacher said its better if he's never played yet.

Are cheap Fenders and Gibsons much worse than other brands? Same for Marshall.

Music teacher said electric better than acoustic to start. This seems strange to me..

All advice appreciated, I know I've come to the right place.

Thanks
https://bestarny.com/

Last edited by Ardod on Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi and Welcome!

I am a guitar player (also ukulele). I have these guitars:

Gibson Les Paul
Gibson Dove (acoustic with neck identical to Les Paul)
Silvertone Acoustic with nylon strings

I use an Acoustic 100 Amp

The amplifier is probably the least critical thing, most amps, even lower cost ones sound pretty good until you stress them with too much input or too high an output.

As for the guitar, I agree that if the student has never played guitar before, right handed is the way to go. (I am a righty). He might actually have a small advantage being left handed because the left hand does the fingering and he's already got enhanced coordination in the left arm because he's left handed. Left handed guitars make playing with other guitarists more "interesting" because the neck sticks out on the other side. Two righties playing together can stand on either side of each other without clunking the guitars together.

An electric guitar of that caliber will have better action than an acoustic. The amount of pressure needed to finger the acoustic is greater. However, my ukes and my Silvertone all have nylon strings and I can play those without much finger callous. The Dove which has a neck identical to the Les Paul is an easy acoustic to play IMO, but the Les Paul is a little easier (not a lot). I believe Keith Emerson of ELP used a Dove.

BTW, I can play blues, rock and blues-rock with both my nylon string guitar and my ukes, so nylon strings don't prevent the "hardness" of those styles.

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
Cfish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use to teach guitar, I think the electric guitar is just easier to fret, so it’s easier for them to get going without getting discouraged.

Don’t underestimate foreign made guitars. They have the most bang for your buck to get started. I have a cheap first act guitar that I keep because I have one song I do in open tuning live, and for 75 dollars used, it works great for that, I started my kids out on the cheap electrics guitar center sells.

As far as left handed, There are some who believe pushing a left handed person to do things right handed when they are young can cause other problems. It is sometimes blamed for reading comprehension problems. The brain battles for side dominance. I had this problem.

I’m not sure what the cheapest deal Sweetwater has on a left handed electric with amp combo is, but I bet it’s cheaper than you expect.

If your not fermillior with Sweetwater they are great to deal with.

I will see if I can find a link
Cfish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I couldn’t get a link up, but Sweetwater sound has Ibanez GRX70QAL
Left handed brand new 249 dollars. These are a really nice guitar.
I recommend calling Sweetwater and ask, they might give you an extra deal to buy a starter amp.
They sell that same guitar as a right handed starter package with amp for 249 American
You get real people ready to help when you call Sweetwater. It’s amazing
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: