electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
simple 8 step sequecer for SL
Page 5 of 9 [204 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whups - P1-P4 and Preen should be tied low (to ground). Lunch hour's over, canna change it now Very Happy
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I used an asychronous load, just like the Moog sequencer. I built a big diode array connected to the switches and the preset inputs. Simple but effective.

Thanks, Howard! Wish this would have come up before the panel was designed.....

Cheers,
Scott
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Position 1 is where all the counters sit on the "reset" clock. You only want one output for each step though, so you use position 1 on counter 1 and waste the others. You can keep adding more 4017s in this way, but you lose position 1 on each, because they don't have a "no output" state.
For kind of the same reason you lose position 10 on every counter because that's where they "wait" when they hand over to the next counter. In this case you're not really losing outputs, they are just being used as part of the logic.
That final schem is based on the circuit design idea which you find at the end of some 4017 data sheets. I knew I'd seen how to do it before, but it took a while to track it down. I almost got there on my own, but not quite. Using this setup you can make 16, 32, 80, 200 step sequences, you just need another AND gate for each new 4017.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Thanks, Howard! Wish this would have come up before the panel was designed.....

Yes, that's the main lesson I learned about electronics design; first design the front panel. Design the function you want. Don't worry about the circuits until that's done.

The circuits are acutally less important, and they can be redesigned and refined as needed. In fact, I redesigned the innards of my sequencer several times.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dnny wrote:
Macaba wrote:
Indeed, after checking, it seems they are called DIL switches which answers my question rather well. Seems getting "merry" at christmas hurt a few brain cells. Cool

sorry about the DIP/DIL confusion - is just that the vocabulary at my work uses the word "dipping" (in Finnish "dipata")- every time we set up a address of some lights whit these DIL- switches so it got me confused ... sorry.

Seems Paia call them DIP switches as well

http://www.paia.com/midi2cv.htm

I think it is Dual In Line or Dual Inline Package.
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, you're right Ian.
Juno60

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi folks,

has anybody finished building the pretty li'l sequencer? Does it work on the SL? I'm building my second SL right now (patched out version) and I like to build a simple sequencer next. The scheme seems too be perfect for me, but I wonder if it runs.

fabreeze

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: On Using two 4017's
Subject description: here's a link!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I heard some talk on the forum about using two 4017's to get 16-steps.
I saw this design while researching:
http://www.gozen.demon.co.uk/godric/synth/seqcirc.html
Hope this is helpful to y'all.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: On Using two 4017's
Subject description: here's a link!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fabreeze wrote:
I heard some talk on the forum about using two 4017's to get 16-steps.
I saw this design while researching. Hope this is helpful to y'all.

It sure is Smile Thanks!

Oh yes- welcome to The SoundLab forum at electro-music.com! Very Happy
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Juno60 wrote:
Hi folks,

has anybody finished building the pretty li'l sequencer? Does it work on the SL? I'm building my second SL right now (patched out version) and I like to build a simple sequencer next. The scheme seems too be perfect for me, but I wonder if it runs.

Hi Juno60! welcome to E-M. Yes the sequencer works fine so get stuck in Very Happy
EraSer

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everybody.
How can I sustitute 74HC4016? I don't succeed to find it in electronic-stores.
Crying or Very sad

Very Happy
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you want a quad bi-lateral switch, then it's the 4016 part that counts. So a CD4016 or a CD4016B will do just as well. The 4016 is also pin for pin the same as a 4066 (except that a 4066 has a lower "on" resistance, (80R)) so that would usually be fine as well.
EraSer

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Uncle K

you are a knowledge source Wink

thank you. Very Happy

Have someone build this sequencer?have you also sample it?
tanaelyn

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anyone have an opinion on Ray Wilson's 8 Channel Expandable Analog Sequencer? It seems to me that it would be a great sequencer for the Sound Lab.
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think Pehr has built one.
Pehr

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
I think Pehr has built one.

Nope, I haven't Embarassed I have two sets of PCBs for the 16 step sequencer waiting to be built though... when I have time.... and the money... Sad

http://www.garageband.com/artist/loxodrom
http://soundcloud.com/loxodrom
SuperKoopa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Here's another way to get a 16 step sequence with relatively few components. The CD4067 16X1 mux seems well suited for it. A bloody big IC, though - it's a 'double wide'.

Hi Scott.

what i have to do if i want a reset at step modification?
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
If you want a quad bi-lateral switch, then it's the 4016 part that counts. So a CD4016 or a CD4016B will do just as well. The 4016 is also pin for pin the same as a 4066 (except that a 4066 has a lower "on" resistance, (80R)) so that would usually be fine as well.

i think about building some modules from Daniel Veras circuit. so it would be convenient to use the mos versions (MOS 4016 & MOS 4017, they can be powered easily with 15V). do you think that would have any negative effects on the functionality of the circuit (ie CV outputs)?
goodrevdoc

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a simple way of ganging two 4017's together for a 16 step output.
The original file came with some downloads for the dBop, a sequenced drum machine from a DIY synth site i forget (synthdiy perhaps?) Anyhow, it works pretty well and is simple to implement. I am currently redesigning the dBop to include 16 steps, a better clock, and slightly different drum sounds. The trick is to use an inverter (4049)between the inhibit pins. Not sure if a whole 4049 is warranted for the sequencer, but if uses can be found for the unused inverters, might make a nice addition. just my $.02
fonik

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

refering to the original design i wonder if i could easy add an external clock control, which should work with both trigger and gate signals. i thought of something like the following.

i don't know how to handle the clock pulse width the 4017 requires (up to 250ns). would a cap do and what should be the value?

what do the experts say?

cheers,
matthias

ext clock.JPG
 Description:
just a sketch...
 Filesize:  17.24 KB
 Viewed:  374 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

ext clock.JPG

Last edited by fonik on Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:05 am; edited 1 time in total
fonik

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just another idea: what about using a DPTP on-off-on switches for each step controlling both the gate and the reset function? (i.e. switch down: gate on; middle: gate off; up: gate off/reset)

i'm planning to do a small modul for my modular, not a real sequencer but a little automation, not very panel intensive...
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The 4017 will trigger on the positive going edge of any pulse down to a few nS in duration, so I wouldn't worry about it.
You know that circuit will send a negative pulse if you put in a positive one don't you? That may be what you want, but the 4017 will trigger at the end of the pulse that way.

fonik

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
The 4017 will trigger on the positive going edge of any pulse down to a few nS in duration, so I wouldn't worry about it.

what i actually wanted was to be able to trigger with gate signals too. but this might be a little be more versatile (mr ken stones gate2trig conversion?).

Quote:
You know that circuit will send a negative pulse if you put in a positive one don't you? That may be what you want, but the 4017 will trigger at the end of the pulse that way.

i'd thought i would ground it just like the manual step switch. how could i accomplish that?

as you can see, uncle krunkus, i have to learn a lot, but i am willing to...
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've still got heaps to learn as well!
I just had another look at that circuit, (trying to work out exactly why I said what I said!) and I'm not sure now! Laughing
Now lets see if I can talk this through.
I think for a positive going pulse, you need to move the 10K down to the emitter, going to ground. Take your clock directly off the emitter. The cap can probably go either on the collector or the emitter, but probably would be better on the collector, (I think?)
Anyway, when there's no incoming gate/trig the transistor is the larger resistor, so the clock out is held low. When a signal comes in the transistor conducts and it's emitter voltage goes up towards +V. I'm beginning to think the cap would be best on the base.
Of course, if anyone else knows for sure, feel free to let us both know. Embarassed

fonik

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i think, i have a general misunderstanding - i thought the 4017 would be triggered if clock in was set to ground (regarding the momentary switch for manual step fwd)? So i tried to hold the clock high, when no trigger signal present...
if any trigger pulse would go, maybe the gate2trigger circuit from mr ken stone would do. i think i will breadboard the whole thing this week and then see...

gate2trigger.JPG
 Description:
gate to trigger converter by ken stone:
 Filesize:  9.94 KB
 Viewed:  22766 Time(s)

gate2trigger.JPG

Page 5 of 9 [204 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: