electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Synth
SoundLab!
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: SoundLab! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I'm interested our SoundLab brothers over in the analog domain. The thing is, there's plenty of description of the circuit, along with accurate schematics, so I thought this would be perfect for one of those "virtual analog" emulation sessions.

So, here's the (simple) SoundLab in the G2. This first cut is not accurate of the schematic, but is of the block diagram and general functionality (I even color matched the function blocks to the .JPG that's on the soundlab website). Next steps will be to more accurately emulate this thing, building the filter fromscratch, and maybe adding Rob's "Spectrum Tilt" adjustments.

SoundLab1.pch2
 Description:
Emulation of the SoundLab analog synth. Basic building blocks, knobs, and MIDI only.

Download
 Filename:  SoundLab1.pch2
 Filesize:  2.8 KB
 Downloaded:  2480 Time(s)

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: pointless Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know this will spark debate..... but......

Shocked You've obviously got far too much spare time on your hands! Was there really any point of a patch like this? I mean trying to squeeze the sound of a 75 dollar synth out of a 2 grand+ digital DSP monster ?!?

It reminds me of the days back in the mid 80's when 'Electronics and Music Maker' (remember that folks?) took the piss out of "pot-bellied Americans trying to squeeze a Minimoog sound out of their Fairlight's"

So nothings changed then? (apart from we're in much better health these days. Wink )
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing

This isn´t a bad idea at all. If this patch can run in the demo app, then it is an excellent way to test patching concepts for the soundlab synth.
I would say it isn´t the 1:1 emulation of the exact sound of the SL which is the point here, rather the architectiure of the SL.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
:lol:

This isn´t a bad idea at all. If this patch can run in the demo app, then it is an excellent way to test patching concepts for the soundlab synth.
I would say it isn´t the 1:1 emulation of the exact sound of the SL which is the point here, rather the architectiure of the SL.

I knew this would spark debate!

It's definately a good idea if you intend to modify the original synth design, but 'spectrum tilting'??? How will I incorporate that into its basic design?

Also my computer is only 500mHz fast- I sent a patch to Jan earlier this year, which maxed out at 98% dsp on this Mac- it only registered 25% dsp on his 'real' G2.

So what I'm saying is that you also need to have a damn fast (and expensive) PC to get near to the complexity of the SL, emulated on the G2. So what's the point?

- I've got all my mods 'mapped out' in my head- I can 'see' what they do and how they sound :D
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see. yes.. I reread the inital post and noticed the spectrum tilt.

I simply see the SoundLab patch as good clean oldfashioned fun.. but I do also see your point. I can only say: Why not?
Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
jksuperstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The point of the spectrum tilt was to make the G2, and digital synthesis in general, sound more like analog circuitry. So it's already there in the sound the real SoundLab. This "exercise" was to help develop techniques in patching the G2 that sound more "analog"/FAT/Dope/ or simply more like actual circuits. Given the readily available circuit, accurate schematics, and good textual descriptions of what the circuit is doing, it makes it (in my opinion) the perfect exercise for G2 patching practice.

I like to travel as as light as possible...meaning I'm only going to take the G2 to a jam if that's all I need to take. But I still like to take all the sounds I have access to...so emulation is in order! Just because it's a $75 synth, doesn't mean it doesn't make very useful sounds.

Last, there are people who won't/can't/don't have the time to buy the circuit and build it. But since there's lots of talk over at the soundlab forum, people with G2's still get a chance to "hear" what all the hubbub is about.

Also Electro80 is right in terms of working out other ideas. I also have a Paia Fatman, and patched that out in my original Nord Modular a long time ago. I developed several sync and LFO mods on the NM that were later retrofitted to my true Fatman.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:

I like to travel as as light as possible...meaning I'm only going to take the G2 to a jam if that's all I need to take. But I still like to take all the sounds I have access to...so emulation is in order! Just because it's a $75 synth, doesn't mean it doesn't make very useful sounds.

You have every right to love the G2-it's an amazing machine (the NM was pretty f**king amazing too- as you know :)). One day I will own a G2- no shit, but until then it's the SoundLab and my aging Micromodular :)

JK, will you join us and build a SL too?
jksuperstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's on my slate of things I want to do, but at the moment I'm working on some custom MIDI/USB instruments/control surfaces/sequencers. If I did (when I?) build a SoundLab, it'd have MIDI/USB control built in, instead of knobs. Then I could have some wavetable synthesis piping through the soundlab's analog filters.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And some of the people building the soundlab do not seem to know exactly what to expect from it because its their first synth ever, so this patch when used with the G2 emulator might help in fault finding - even when its not the exact same thing.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
It's on my slate of things I want to do, but at the moment I'm working on some custom MIDI/USB instruments/control surfaces/sequencers. If I did (when I?) build a SoundLab, it'd have MIDI/USB control built in, instead of knobs. Then I could have some wavetable synthesis piping through the soundlab's analog filters.

Bloody hell! you don't want much!! :D

I actually think that would be missing the point however- why not just get an evolver or whatever?

The filter circuit in the SL is really bog-standard transconductive type and nothing special, but what is so special is that so much is squeezed out of so little (a filter for £1.50!)

- yeah, I guess if you want your G2 to emulate a SoundLab- then don't let me stop you- why not? :)

Tom
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well I just tried the SL G2 demo- which measures 45% on the patchload scale- so it's quite nice and cheap Smile But it's still a G2, and the G2 is capable of so much more- so I'll raise the question again, is it really worth emulating a SoundLab with a G2?? (apart from working out what could be done to improve it- as Jan and others pointed out?)

Here's a patch I just knocked up in the demo. It's loosely based on my 'Boards of....' patch I made on the code404 list (the one I asked Dave Peck to do a re-work on). It runs on my Powerbook at 47% dsp. It's a bit 'nice', but I'd never be able to make this patch with a SoundLab.

Back in the last century (Shocked), some chap (who's name escapes me) made a series of patches for the NM1 called 'StarTrek'. These to me were inspirational. They were really basic in the programming but offered incredible drone/ sound potential. I urge you all to find them in the old archive- listen to them, experiment with them etc.

This, IMO is what the G2 should be for- and we should pursue making the most fucked-up patches ever- even better if they are simple and could be ported to analogue at a later date Smile

Sorry for being such a synth-fascist, but there you go......

Tom

BOC2.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  BOC2.pch2
 Filesize:  1.3 KB
 Downloaded:  2790 Time(s)

cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice one, jk. very fun to play. i'm looking forward to your update.

also, v-un-v -- i like this. i added some crossfading sequencers, tim's drift/jitter block and listened to this for a little while this afternoon.
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's my modification to this emulation -- I added Rob's spectrum tilter to the FX section, Tim's drift<>jitter block to the 'VCO's, tweaked some colors per the block diagram, disabled KBT, set Noise color to 'White' and set the A/R Envelope modes from Decay to Release... also balanced some levels.

As for a 2 pole 6 dB slope DIY filter, I've no clue... 2 pole/12 dB, sure, but not 2 pole/6 dB

soundlab2.pch2
 Description:
tilted, drifting, slightly tweaked SoundLab.pch

Download
 Filename:  soundlab2.pch2
 Filesize:  3.44 KB
 Downloaded:  2086 Time(s)

Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Synth