electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Roland V-Synth XT
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Roland V-Synth XT
Subject description: Anyone any experience of these or the keyboard version?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Everyone,

This is probably a bit OT for here but I would like to see if any of you has any experience of the V-Synth as I am thinking of getting myself one for Christmas.

Cheers

Andy
G2DREAM

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What would you say about a G2?
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G2DREAM wrote:
What would you say about a G2?

I would recomend the G2 to anyone, the only problem I have with my G2 is that the waveforms you can use are limited.

Cheers

Andy
Axiom

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 28

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is not true Smile All kind of waveform you can fin, as example, on a virus and so on.. are totally derived from those basic waveforms. You can achive same results with a bit of tweaking.

Luca

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Axiom wrote:
This is not true Smile All kind of waveform you can fin, as example, on a virus and so on.. are totally derived from those basic waveforms. You can achive same results with a bit of tweaking.

Luca

I'm after sample based waveforms which is why the Vsynth looked like a nice idea.

Cheers

Andy
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Axiom is right. The silly and outragous waveforms are there. You would of course have to create these yourself. Very Happy

Completely OT: I would of course loved to see some kind of modern take on the PPG WaveTerm wavetable editor in the G2. This would make perfect sense and I am sure the G2 could in fact handle this as it is. It is just a matter of building a software frontend and then handle wavetable storage inside the G2. The same could of course be said of complex envelopes.

I donĀ“t see this approach to be in conflict with the DIY waveform shaping. These are really very different concepts. Anyways, AFAI understand the G2 hardware this could in fact be done in a software upgrade.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Tusker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think it's a little bit of a misleading to say that the waves are in there. If you have to create them, they are not in there. The G2 is a fantastic synth in it's own right, without us pretending that it is all synths to all people.

Take for example a drum sample. If I want to make in the G2, I can of course do so.

No problem. A little swept sine wave, some filter noise, some FM. whatever. But when I slow down the sample in a V-synth, each of those components reacts in non-linear ways to the slowing down. Envelopes slow down, harmonic components change.

No problem. I'll just set up a set of morphs to model that. On the V-synth I choose to replay simply one portion of the audio sample, that has more harmonic content.

No problem. I can isolate the harmonic content using carefully tuned bandpass filters.

And pretty soon, it's taken me two weeks to touch my nose. The very fact that we would like to see PPG type functionality in the G2 should be an indication that the current capabilities do not cover the known universe. At least not easily.

Best,

Jerry
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jerry, you actually agree with me on this Wavetermish idea re the G2?
Usually people are kicking my ass for being silly. Clearly the Waveterm was more a product with great promise rather than a truly brilliant one, but then this could also be said about the Fairlight and the first Linn. I do however see great ideas in there that could easily be implemented in the G2.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From what I have read the G2 and V-synth are two totally different synths and don't have that much in common for comparison.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

True, and I guess this is why BobTheDog is lusting for the Roland synth.
I just watched the Roland demo videos. The videos were a bit sad, but I am sure the actual instrument is rather good.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, there was a VSynth at Different Skies. It makes beautiful sounds. If I had to have only one, I'd go with the G2, but the VSynth is excellent. There are nice extra boards you can get for it. The vocoder is really great. I love the vocoders in the G2, but the VSynth is quite special. Not as flexible and adjustable, but great sounds right out of the box. It's a big bruser though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I ordered the Vsynth-XT, it arriveing tommorow.

I'm going to use the G2 as my keyboard controller for it, I will let you all know how it pans out.

Cheers

Andy
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, BobTheDog.

You are quite right; this is OT but fortunately there is a section where this is completely topical. As a Moderator I'm going to move your topic there so it can be found by others too instead of just the G2 people.

I'll leave a link in the G2 section for now to make sure you can fiund your topic again. Warning; cleaning, floor may be slipery.

zinoff

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject:  I got them both
Subject description: and... I tend to play with the G2 most.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just a month ago I got myself a G2x and a V-synth XT.

Let me start by saying that the XT is fun, and as mosc says the vocoders of the VC-2 are great. However my main complaints are:

1. at the end of the day it is kind of limited,
2. not enough ooomph (g2 not enough oomph as well compared with the evolver as an example).
3. it does not keep loop points that you might have set up in a sample editor on your computer (major pain).
4. the controls are a bit too coarse for certain applications.
5. Zone and multitimbral setup kind of arcane.
6. The COSM stuff and the effects are overrated in IMO, it is easier to make them sound cheap rather than expensive.
7. controls are a bit limited. Each osc has only one standard ADSR and one LFO.

What I like the most these days is to use the g2x sequencers and midi control to play the vsynth, and you can do some really crazy stuff and accurate stuff that way.

In some way, if it wasn't for hardware I'd almost prefer the Symptohm to my v-synth.

Cheers,
/R
Tusker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Jerry, you actually agree with me on this Wavetermish idea re the G2?
Usually people are kicking my ass for being silly. Clearly the Waveterm was more a product with great promise rather than a truly brilliant one, but then this could also be said about the Fairlight and the first Linn. I do however see great ideas in there that could easily be implemented in the G2.

I love some of the ideas people have developed for waveshaping in the G2 and I'm using some of them on my G1. I'm sure people have developed skills in these areas that make some of the other single-cycle and multi-cycle sample based techniques less useful. However, yes I think having different approaches will round out your sound, and make certain sweet spots easier to reach. I'd love to see some wavetable or sample based approaches in future NMs.

Jerry
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tusker wrote:
I'm sure people have developed skills in these areas that make some of the other single-cycle and multi-cycle sample based techniques less useful. However, yes I think having different approaches will round out your sound, and make certain sweet spots easier to reach.

That's a great point. Often one doesn't need just one speciffic sound but also a set of transformations on that sound for dramatic accents and so on. I think that that's a use for synths/samplers/programs that's often underapreceated. For example there is a huge difference between crossfading and morphing (on a aprameter basis) between two sounds. Developing those can be a very dificult and time-consuming job so if somebody has already done it for you somewhere...

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
Developing those can be a very dificult and time-consuming job so if somebody has already done it for you somewhere...

Surely beats building an oscillator from empty cigarette boxes and balsa wood. Now, what about the music? Why not boycott Clavia until they add support for the Apple Loops from Garageband. Hmm, why not even tell them to license Garageband and paint it red? Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I got the V-Synth XT and I must admit I love it!

I think it makes a good compliment to the G2.

Also as it is fairly simple even a synth idiot such as myself can get some good patches going which is something I have not managed with the G2 yet!

I am working on an all v-synth track at the moment to demo the sounds it makes, when I finish it I will post it here.

Cheers

Andy
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What became of the track you were working on. I would love to hear it.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HI,

Like most things I do now it never got finished!

I have so many toys now that the actual music seems to suffer, it was all easier when all I had was a guitar, fx and amp.

I will try to get something into a state I can post.

Cheers

Andy
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: