electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Microbeat percussion, how to do it?
Page 2 of 2 [33 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
ar2jr

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

Just like csound Laughing (just kidding, glad you found out)

Definitely! Smile
Audent

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A little late on this, but I've heard some excellent stuff done with the modcan cv recorder module. having vc of start/end times is fantastic and combining it with an analog sequencer is endless fun! Pop in a quick drum loop and you're off!
BananaPlug

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
A little late on this, but I've heard some excellent stuff done with the modcan cv recorder module. having vc of start/end times is fantastic and combining it with an analog sequencer is endless fun! Pop in a quick drum loop and you're off!

Speaking of the CVR, There's a patch I love which exploits a quirk of the Serge TKB touch keyboard. In a nutshell:
TKB keyboard voltage -> CVR Channel 1 -> Oscillator(s) & filter -> VCA
TKB keyboard pulse -> ADSR -> CVR Channel 2 -> VCA
If you touch multiple pads of the TKB simultaneously it races through them so you get more of a buzzy modulation instead of discrete note by note pitches. This is useful in itself (in a west coast bug music kind of way) but then use the CVR like a microscope to zoom in on those bursts of rapid control voltage changes and slow them down to note tempo. I always find interesting rhythm loops.
Audent

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Speaking of the CVR, There's a patch I love which exploits a quirk of the Serge TKB touch keyboard. In a nutshell:
TKB keyboard voltage -> CVR Channel 1 -> Oscillator(s) & filter -> VCA
TKB keyboard pulse -> ADSR -> CVR Channel 2 -> VCA
If you touch multiple pads of the TKB simultaneously it races through them so you get more of a buzzy modulation instead of discrete note by note pitches. This is useful in itself (in a west coast bug music kind of way) but then use the CVR like a microscope to zoom in on those bursts of rapid control voltage changes and slow them down to note tempo. I always find interesting rhythm loops.

Cool I would LOVE to hear that! Cool use for that module.
BananaPlug

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, here's a quick demo of it. The first thirty seconds or so is me noodling around on the keys while the Modcan 57A CV Recorder is recording the keyboard voltages and the envelopes. The rest is just sifting through the material on the 57A. Not a great performance but you'll get the idea. Nearer the end there's some use of the bidirectional mode. FYI, it's two Plan B Model 15 oscillators, Modcan's 44A filter and a little bit of Doepfer A-199 reverb.

Enjoy! Very Happy
Audent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BananaPlug wrote:
Okay, here's a quick demo of it. The first thirty seconds or so is me noodling around on the keys while the Modcan 57A CV Recorder is recording the keyboard voltages and the envelopes. The rest is just sifting through the material on the 57A. Not a great performance but you'll get the idea. Nearer the end there's some use of the bidirectional mode. FYI, it's two Plan B Model 15 oscillators, Modcan's 44A filter and a little bit of Doepfer A-199 reverb.

Enjoy! Very Happy

Most excellent. Thanks for taking the time to post this. There is some cool stuff going on in there (i especially like around 5:00) Cool

As for more ideas on Micro-beat stuff....i don't remember seeing this mentioned in this post, but Metasynth is a beast of a program for creating this type of stuff.
BananaPlug

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks! I ended up taking that patch further and it's still setup. Maybe I'll post a sequel this weekend.
fengland

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sure there's stuff that's way easier to do in software, but 'IDM' isn't limited to that. Squarepusher did the most insane beats imaginable on a boss dr 660. Plus, hardware is just more fun and sounds better. To me anyway, cause I sit at a computer all day for my job, but I know this is a controversial topic. To me software is more convenient, flexible, and usually cheaper. Hardware can sound better and more or less original depending what you're using. I like the limitations of hardware. Aphex did some cool shit with hardware too - check out Analords
Page 2 of 2 [33 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Jump to: