electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Midi controlled audio Patchbay
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
monobass

G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Midi controlled audio Patchbay Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can anyone suggest a midi controlled audio patchbay/router?

I have found a few, which are either exactly what I need but very hard to find..

i.e. Isotrack Smartpatch - 16 I/O. Ten years old. £400.

CMlabs PM216 - Discontinued, hard to find info or second hand. $800 approx

Incredibly expensive / overspec:

CMlabs Sixty-Four - $3K

Not enough I/O:

Akai MB76

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Steve
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've had the same problem. Since I already use a laptop/soundcard, I use software to control the mixing. I just use templates in audiomulch to handle midi controls.
monobass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah normally I do this stuff in software myself.. but my card has only 8 I/O and I'd like to be able to do quick patching changes on the road triggerd by my G2.
jksuperstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, that's exactly what I do. I have an E-mu 1616m, which really *should* have MIDI control itself. But it doesn't, so I use audiomulch (which is somewhat modular itself) as a flexible mixer/patcher. It can load things based on MIDI Program Change, or MIDI CC#, and I use the G2 CC#'s to control mixing/routing.

I wish this could be done in hardware, but the only hardware I know of that does these functions is the MOTU Traveler, but that requires some Mackie Control Surface standard, which simply doesn't come in a portable/affordable product as far as I know. You should look into that interface, maybe it has changed since I last looked into it. Maybe the software it uses can take advantage of MIDI CC#s to control it's CueMIX stuff.
monobass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah I have the Motu 828.. however cuemix only works with a laptop plugged in.. I have a Logic/Mackie control but it still doesn't get over the issue of the number of Ins and outs... or using live without a laptop.
Calude Voiot

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I own the fantastic switchblade gl 16 in 16 out
all analog audiophile path
75 presets
etc etc....
not cheap but what you'll plug in isnt either...
check http://www.soundsculpture.com/products/default.htm

Calude
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is a lot of stuff that goes into something like this. It would be hard to make this cheap and keep the quality good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Calude Voiot wrote:
I own the fantastic switchblade gl 16 in 16 out
all analog audiophile path
75 presets
etc etc....
not cheap but what you'll plug in isnt either...
check http://www.soundsculpture.com/products/default.htm

OMG
Shocked

Those are HOT!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Calude Voiot

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G2 in a modular environment Smile

instant reconfiguration with pg changes

Calude

switchblade modular.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.52 KB
 Viewed:  11572 Time(s)

switchblade modular.jpg

monobass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow.. that does look good. The price is just out of my league though.

I've had another idea though going back to my MOTU.. which would be a software only solution. It has an ADAT sync in port.. which seems to offer up another 8 I/O.

Is it possible to buy a piece of gear which would essentially make this into 8 extra IO? I can't quite work out exactly what this port is.. the adat inputs and outputs appear in the software meters for the MOTU. Does the sync in literally just provide sync info and metering levels or something? The manual is very unclear on the actual purpose of this port..

jksuperstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You could also expand via the AES/EBU optical port to external 8channel I/O. THis would be limited to 48kHz, although the optical will also do 4 channels @ 96kHz, or 2 channels @ 192kHz.

Along the lines of the switchblade, There is one VERY affordable solution. You could get a SoundBlaster or E-Mu card that's based on their 10k1 or 10k2 DSP chip. Get one with AES/EBU optical (so you can have very nice converters), then use the drivers from the kX Project. This is very powerful modular system, and comes with a free SDK to develop DSP code, so there are plug-ins available for it as well! Might not be a solution for _Steve_, but someone else might find this perfect. Some of those Soundblasters actually have 1/2 way decent converters to boot, especially if you avoid the A/D end of things.

http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/

List of supported cards here:
http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/faq.php?language=en#cards
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Behringer ULTRAGAIN PRO-8 DIGITAL ADA8000
High-End 8-Channel A/D & D/A Converter with Premium Mic Preamplifiers and ADAT® Interface

http://www.behringer.com/ADA8000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

This makes a great addition to your MOTU...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: